1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Big Three in San Antonio Retire after this storybook series pounding?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedRedemption, Jun 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Will they retire?

1. The big three will retire.

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. No, all will come back and they will play on to try to win back-to-back.

59 vote(s)
    56.7%
  3. Not everyone will retire.

39 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I truly believe that Pop (and not that other guy in NYC) is the greatest coach ever. If you show anyone the following box score, nobody would have guessed the Spurs destroyed the Heat by 20+ points.

TD 10 points 11 rebounds 40% shooting
    Parker 19 points 2 assists 4 turnovers
    Ginobili 7 points 1 rebound 2 assists 4 turnovers

I mean, WTF?

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Don't ruin him like Ariza!

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No, they are staying to win another one or two with Lebron as a teammate.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Popovich's legacy:

In his 18 years as coach of the San Antonio Spurs...
    • He has only missed the playoffs in his first year.
    • He has made the playoffs 17 straight times.
    • Excluding his first season, his lowest regular season win% was 61%.
    • He has more seasons in his coaching career winning over 70% of his games than below in the reg. season.
    • He has 11 division titles.
    • He has only been bounced in the first round three times.
    • He is 5-1 in the finals. Only loss being to the Miami Heat last season.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not sure...

What makes him so special is how efficient he is, how much defense and energy he plays with as well. You take him out of a good system, force him to shoot and play more minutes, I think he would be capable of being a "star" of a team, but he most likely wouldn't be nearly as efficient. His fg% would go down, his defense would regress, he wouldn't play with as much energy (possibly less rebounds and steals/blocks).

So I personally think he could maybe put up Rudy Gay numbers (with slightly better defense). If he was forced into the leading scorer star role of another team.

6. adobo

adobo Member

LOL. That would just be cruel for the rest of us.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has to go Harden's way to find out.

Take a team on his shoulder and get it into the playoffs and beyond by himself or with a partner.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

When Pop's autobiography comes out, I'm pre-ordering it

9. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I don't put that first season on Pops, because they started the season with Bob Hill as their coach (that team started out 3-15, Hill got fired after that and Pops finished out that year 17-47), but in his "full" seasons as coach, he (alongside Duncan), never missed the playoffs.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am sure Duncan and Ginobili will play out their current contracts unless major injuries happen.

How the Spurs will fair after next season depends on if their young players can grow into stars or semi-stars.

11. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

To be honest, I thought they might retire.. But I can see them giving it 1 - 2 more years.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The team salary structure is built to run through 2015. I think they do 1 more year and then blow it up.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Dammit, they are not going to quit. The rockets need learn something from them before winning anything big.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think at least 1 of the big 4 goes. Popovich & Duncan being the most likely. Manu I think needs the money and enjoys the game. Parker - no chance. If they do all return they still might contend but only because they'll add some great pieces to the supporting cast.

15. torocan

torocan Member

Honestly, I have no idea.

I wouldn't be shocked if Duncan and Pops decide to hang it up.
    I wouldn't be shocked if after this year's complete domination that they decide to push their luck and see if they can repeat.

What I do know is Lord help us all as long as Popovich is still coaching the Spurs.

The scariest part of the Spurs right now is that I think they'll actually get BETTER next year. Duncan and Manu will get a little worse, Tony Parker should be about the same, but I can easily see Diaw, Green, Leonard, and co all getting better going into next season.

Add another season of improved chemistry and institutional experience to go deeper into Pops' playbook, and that play book is really, really deep...

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/10/4170579/miami-heats-shane-battier-skilled.html

The longer the new guys play with Pops, the sharper they get. That alone should scare the crap out of you. Just the thought that the Spurs could actually be even BETTER next year...

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Since people have asked: No matter the Finals outcome, I think it's possible -- maybe probable -- entire Spurs band comes back for 2014-15.</p>&mdash; Jeff McDonald (@JMcDonald_SAEN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/statuses/477481889624645632">June 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Steve_Francis_rules

This is only partly true. Before the Big Three era, when they still had their Twin Towers, Duncan missed the 2000 playoffs, ruining their chance of defending their championship (although they probably weren't beating LA that year anyway).

18. Steve_Francis_rules

You're leaving out the most important reason they were so terrible in Pop's first year: they tanked to get Duncan.

19. VBG

VBG Member

No way Tony Parker retires. Manu signed a 2 year deal. I think he and Duncan will leave together.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think Duncan retires this year or next. If Pop leaves Parker will play elsewhere in the NBA. Manu probably goes to Europe or Argentina in a few years for a nice payday. I could also see some top spurs assistant taking over for Pop and building around Parker and Kawhi.