1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Rick Adelman put T-Mac in the starting lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RyanB, Nov 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, the ONLY way. The only way T-mac is an asset if he plays Dada's style of basketball???

Frankly, I think he does share responsibility of the ball. He makes pretty good decisions.

2. mbiker

mbiker Member

What we are seeing this year is Rick Adelman’s system at its best. It reminds me of how much fun it was to watch the old Sacramento teams play. Insert Tracy in the offense and it will drastically change. Tracy is a half court player who demands the ball to be effective. He has never truly fit in the system. The biggest problem is that Tracy does not know how to move without the ball, which is critical in the motion offense. By not moving to key places on the floor during certain times causes the offense to stagnate, which limits the effectiveness of the other players. Also, Tracy does not run a lot of fast breaks. This offense will be less efficient when Tracy returns.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

you do know yao is a halfcourt player too right. we rarely run adelman's offense with yao in the game right (hence the struggles of the offense last year). we have long droughts in the 4th when we try to force feed yao the ball and don't move the ball around. we don't have those droughts this year right?

tracy has to make adjustments. no doubt about it.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, that is the ONLY way he fits into this exciting team we have now.....if he comes in and TMAC'S IT UP, then he is as good as he is now....

On the bench.

DD

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Don't you want to see the team play at least two months to assess that?

How's patience treating you?

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

DD, I think its time you actually start paying attention to what Rick Adelman says:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/britt_robson/10/15/adelman.rockets/

[rquoter]
    "Tracy is a wild card," Adelman admitted. "Last year, we didn't know whether he could practice or play from one game to the next, and we could do it that way because we had Yao and Ron. But this year, we can't. Right now, they say he could be back in December or it could be later. I just want to see how he plays at both ends.

"If he can come back and play like he did before, we are a different team, a team others have to worry about. He is a guy we can go to down the stretch, and our other guys can play around him. When he was healthy, he was our playmaker; he got into the middle of the floor and made the game easier for others. But if he can't do that this year, he's not going to help us because of what we are doing with Aaron and Trevor. So, yeah, I'm trying to evaluate how much he can help us, and that's tough."
    [/rquoter]

He does not say that McGrady needs to play like an off-the-ball Rip Hamilton and just go with the flow. He wants him to be a great playmaker, as he's been in the past, because that's his strength and he understands that what this team needs.

7. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

I think T-mac will share responsibility with the ball now DD, this team has proved that they can run the ball without him and he knows this. It's not like T-mac isn't watching and doesn't see how good they are running the ball. He knows the game.

I think he can come into this team and run if he is healthy, if not, and he wants to slow it down, he should be traded.

8. t_mac1

tracy mcgrady's vision/playmaking alone wows adelman. but adelman is realistic. if he can't do that, well, he isn't going to help us. adelman was very blunt in regards to tracy and how he can help us.

i think if tracy does come back healthy, adelman is licking his chops at putting tracy at the high post (where webber used to be).

9. mbiker

mbiker Member

Tracy and Yao are slow half court players that don’t fit in with what Adelman wants to run. It’s like fitting a round peg into a square hole. Adelman’s offense is a thing of beauty when you have the right players in it. The Rockets have some tough decisions ahead of them. Do they want to force players to play in a system that is not suited for them, or do they get players that fit the system, but may not have the marketable name.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

T-mac will be fine. The Rockets offense will improve...and it will just be T-mac playing ball they way he planned to.

You will claim that he is buying into the team concept and has made the attitude change so you won't lose face. The reality is it's just T-mac being the guy who he is at this stage and being healthy.

11. t_mac1

this is what you guys don't get. great coaches and players are able to adjust to EACH OTHER. adelman was able to adjust to yao last year. when yao was on the floor, we played half court. when the 2nd unit came in, we played adelman's offense.

tracy can play a mixture WHEN HEALTHY. sure, he doesn't liek to run much, but it's not like he's allergic to the fast break.

what people tend to forget is that one of adelman's FAVORITE plays is the high post offense. he absolutely LOVES it. webber made a living out there with his ability to look over his guy and pass or penetrate or shoot the midrange. tracy has the same ability. are you going to tell me adding that dimension into the offense won't make it better? and tracy loves playing at the high post. it fits his game to a T.

i do agree with those that says tracy needs to dribble less, and that can easily be fixed by running less pick and rolls for him. that's not hard to do b/c AB is now our PG. and with the way he has been playing, tracy will trust him. he's sitting courtside for god sakes. he is seeing it first-hand.

and like adelman said, when we need buckets down the stretch and the others are struggling, you have a guy in tmac who can at least create plays.

he will fit in just fine. the problem is: will he stay healthy?

12. deshen

deshen Member

The problem is not his health. Health will never be a factor whether a player could fit in or not. It is what he believes. If he still does not fully believe in his teammates, does not fully believe in this system, like the last years, he will not fit in. Otherwise, he is welcome to rejoin the team, although I think it is very unlikely.

1 person likes this.
  13. t_mac1

check this out:

you have these ballhandlers: rafer/bobby j/luther head. now compare them to aaron brooks/lowry.

aaron brooks will be the best PG BY FAR tracy will ever play with. BY FAR. AB can actually break a man down. none of the guards he has played with before in his entire career sans vince carter can do that on a consistent basis.

you think tracy is that selfish of a player? this is the same dude who deferred to yao ming when he first came here for at least 15-20 games before JVG told him not to.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Called it! ;) :)

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

i GUESS SHANE HAS BEEN LEADING THE BREAK SINCE BEING IN THIS NEW ADELMAN SYSTEM ALSO? Ok, i guess we know that tracy is the only guy that doesn't run and is the only guy that cant cut or move off the ball also.

16. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

You're not getting the point. This team needs to run the halfcourt set less and less. At this point in his career, that's all i can see tmac doing. He is going to be the weakest link on fastbreaks and what not. Either way, I'm not worried about him screwing anything up, I doubt he can play without getting some kind of injury, Inside I had always defended him...even last year up to some extent but it is clear that Mr Mcgrady should be the LAST of our problems. He is nothign but an economic opportunity with his expiring next year.

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

If Yao's contract ended next year too....man.

That would have been the icing on the top.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

O really? ;)
    <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GD9CntY6PoE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GD9CntY6PoE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

19. rockets2

rockets2 Member

You can talk,

bizzlerockets
    Wemissyoudeke

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D . exposed.

20. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Lets take away the 02-03 season when Tracy wasn't on the team.

Yao still played more games at 399 to Tracys 364.

It's a given Yao will miss 82 games this year. But, there's also no telling how many games Tracy will play this year. Lets say he comes back mid January. He would already miss about half the season. If he plays the full second half (barring any setbacks) he'll have about an extra 40 games under his belt. That would bring his total to about 404 games played during that span.

Although Yao misses more games than Tracy. It's not by a large margin most make it out to be.

Fact is they are both injury prone. It boils down to one carrying excess baggage and the other doesn't. I'll take the one with less baggage.