1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will OKC miss playoffs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zyt, Nov 4, 2014.

?

Will thunder miss the playoffs?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2015.
  1. YES

50 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. NO

78 vote(s)
    60.9%
  1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's possible. The Thunder right now are reminding me of the Spurs in 1996-97 and how snakebit their roster was that season. Of course the difference there is Robinson broke his foot immediately after coming back from a back injury which pretty much ended their season(and eventually rewarded them with Duncan). The Thunder will eventually get everyone back and make a run which could leave them out of the playoffs but with a low lottery pick.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Reggie just delivered an intentional foul and limped to the bench with 3:13 left in the third. Thunder might be down to six players.</p>&mdash; Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarnellMayberry/status/529820010823569408">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

It's a long season. If they don't make it who will? N.O. is really thin, they are one injury to a main guy away from being out of the chase as well. Pho was magical last season but will not sneak up on people again. Den is crap, they actually lost to OKC the other day. Sacto may be a dark horse, but still unproven. I say they make it.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

They 'll compete against L.A and Dallas for the 9th seed

5. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I actually like N.O's depth.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

LA will have a better record then the 76ers and bucks and that is about it. Playoffs hahaha

7. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Harden needs to tell KD, milk hair would be more than happy with durant drawing up plays in the huddle.

8. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

A few days ago I would have said hell no, they'll obviously make it. But...I can't help but feel it's at least in play now.

They are sure as hell not a 4-5 seed still like people were projecting before the WB injury.

9. NewAge

NewAge Member

Huh? L.A. will have the worst record in West, that's for certain. Dallas for 9th? Only way this happens is if Dirk and Chandler (Tyson) break down... Otherwise they are a top 6 team.

10. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

OKC misses the playoffs, wins the lottery, Durant resigns another max deal there.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is this guy legit? And was Scottie just joking or what?

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I definitely see them making it. Durant and Westbrook are too good.

I'd love to see them as the 7th seed playing the 2nd seed Clippers in the first round. That would be awesome for the Rockets and awesome for NBA fans.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Depends on when those guys come back. It looks like Westbrook will get back first. It'll take 15 days for him to round into shape. During that time he'll be shouldering a huge load. I think he's looking at 35% FG and 4+ TO's per game during that span. Probably 2 wins.

The team is built to withstand the loss of Westbrook in the regular season, not Durant. They don't have someone who can come in and give league average performance at the wing like they do at PG.

If Durant takes too long they're done.

Phoenix, Sacramento, Memphis and New Orleans are no joke. This is the west -- you snooze, you lose.

14. smr6

smr6 Member

If they do make the playoffs, it will be a nightmare matchup for whichever top seed was unlucky enough to get them.

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

No way. kneejerker thread

16. Zbed

Zbed Member

If we get matched up with them in the playoffs......I will be sooooo pissed.

17. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Haha, yeah it was a joke.

To answer the OP, I think there is a real chance of them missing the playoffs. There are 11 teams fighting for those 8 spots, and if KD and Westbrook miss too much more time, they'll be in trouble.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No question about it. It took 49 wins to make the playoffs last season in the West. OKC won 59.

Very easy to see them having more than a 10 game swing downward given how much time Durant may be out.

19. Ismail

Ismail Member

Agreed. The Thunder will have played 32 games by the end of the year, by my count. Durant might be back by Christmas, but maybe they'll keep him out until 2015. They're already 1-4, if they don't end up near .500 it will be incredibly tough for them to make a run for the playoffs in the West. 50 wins has consistently been the magic number to make it, if the Thunder are 12-20, they would have to go 38-12 for the rest of the season. Definitely possible, but they've got the:

Rockets twice
    LAC twice
    Spurs twice
    Blazers twice
    Warriors twice
    Grizzlies three times
    Mavericks three times

That's 16 games, if they lose 6 of those (which I think is definitely possible), they're gonna have to be damn unbeatable against everyone else to make the playoffs.

Not to mention multiple games against the Suns, Pelicans, Heat, Bulls, and Cavs, all who could definitely take some games if the Thunder are not playing well. I think they'll ultimately make it though, they should be around or maybe even above .500 going into the new year. With Durant back they can make a run and win 30+ games.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>A look at what the NBA's other top rosters would look like with the Thunder's current injury situation: <a href="http://t.co/ym2iQJrBx1">http://t.co/ym2iQJrBx1</a></p>&mdash; Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater) <a href="https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/530020103883337728">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>