1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will MoT Be Moved Before The Trade Deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shawn786, Feb 8, 2005.

?

Will MoT be moved before the deadline?

1. Yes

245 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. No

142 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. shawn786

shawn786 Member

The question is simple. Will MoT be moved? Its pretty clear that MoT isn't on this team anymore just getting payed by them.

All the new articals popping up are claiming MoT is on the trading block.

Thats all good and clear BUT what are the chances he WILL be moved? I mean this guy has 2 more years left on his contract and his value is going down as we speak!

Will the Rockets be able to pull off a trade to MAYBE just MAYBE get some kind of tallent in return? I think IF we do pull off a trade itll be a salary dump for both teams... NY Knicks here we come!

Just for KICKS im gona add a poll to this thread as well.

Explain please...

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

God I hope so!

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

My gut tells me no. Then again, Van Gundy was able to trade Moochie...

4. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I selected "YES" because I've been speculating that we have deal in the works and that we are trying to keep MoT healthy and out of trouble.

There are so many Eastern Conference Teams that could use MoT its not funny.

We might not like what he brings to our team but he has some talent and scoring big men are a rarity in this league. It all depends on what people are offering and that we feel we are getting fair compensation.

For some reason Mot's low post game has suffered maybe due to lack of confidence or lack of consistent minutes. But on a team he doesnt need to play tough defense and just worry about scoring he could do quite well.

Teams that could use his talents.
    (off the top of my head)

Miami could use his shooting next to Shaq
    Boston is craving some type of low post threat
    Nets with JKidd, VC, RJ and MoT sounds like a solid team.
    Bucks need some help down low
    Atlanta could move Al to the 3 his natural position
    Hornets could use MoT and move PJ to the 5
    Sonics/Warriors
    Lakers could move Odom back to the 3 and use MoT down low.

I dont like the idea of strengthening any WC team so prefer to send him East.

People have holes in their roster and MoT could fit right in but his contract is a deal breaker.

J

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

It wouldn't surprise me if they already have several deals on the table as we speak, but maybe not to their liking. Most teams are going to wait for the trade deadline to come around and also many potential trades are discussed during all-star break when GMs get together. Mo would flourish on a team like the Sonics or the Nets. I just don't see him as a rocket the rest of this season.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's the LAST vestige of the Rudy/CD "bad contracts and bad drafts" era... and its clear that the team has not missed him one bit in this latest hot-stretch.

Mo was really good at being the one guy who seemed to will this team on the offensive end when everybody else was struggling, but right now, I can't seem to ever see this team being awful offensively, unless T-mac is off (rarely, but sometimes), the team isn't hitting their wide open shots (the original problem... which has been addressed with Wesley, Barry, Sura, Padgett), or Yao is completely neutralized by fronting and energy problems (too inconsistent to bank on yet... but he is getting better).

It will be cathartic once this team finally gets rid of him, although he wasn't the worst decision Rudy/CD ever made:
    1. Matt Maloney's bad contract
    2. Moochie's bad contract
    3. Drafting Jason Collier
    4. Cato's bad contract
    5. Drafting Nachbar
    6. Mo-T's bad contract
    7. the 3-1 EG swap (which none of us saw EG's meltdown coming... so this is even less of a bad move).

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I hope so, but think that his contract will prevent it. If possible, I predict a buyout after the season.

8. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Well it seems the only way we can trade MoT away for any kind of tallent is by throwing in a first round pick. I am 101% against that! We need to keep our future first rounders! Who knows maybe they can be a new corner stone for our franchies!

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I highly doubt Les would buy MoT's contract out, I think that is something he doesn't like to do. Or else we would have bought out Maloney's contract years ago.

But to answer the question. I hope he gets moved but his contract is the key. I'm not sure how many teams want MoT and the 2 years left on his contract worth $20M.

But like some of ya'll said, JVG was able to move Moochie so anything is possible. DA would be an option, a deal with the NETs for a TE would be nice, Boston could use some low post scoring as well.

The thing about MoT is that he isn't a bad player, he just doesn't fit into anything we are trying to do here. MoT could go somewhere else and consitently put up 14-16ppg. Moving him would be a good move for both parties.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I liked Cato. He lived up to his contract considered how overpaid players are now. Such as 40million for Derek Fisher..one billion dollars for Glen Robinson and Vin Baker.

11. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I think the longer he sits... the better the chances

if he were playing, teams would see how usless he is (6 pts, 3 rebs)

.... but if he sits, they forget the early season stats and remember his 6th man of the year run last season :D

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I say,YES,Motay is gone.We have nice chemistry,and should be able to fill our need for a defensive minded 4.Worst case scenario..A 3 way deal with us willing to give up that 1st rounder would almost assuredly cover what we need.We might not have to give it up,but I WOULD do it.While the next draft is deep,I don't see CD not pulling the trigger on the right deal.I think he's crazy like a fox when it comes to brokering deals beneficial to the Rockets.
    ...and I agree about him having more value in the East.

#12 Plowman, Feb 8, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  13. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

heres one...

8. Not drafting Rashard Lewis

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I really hope we can convince the Blazers to do the Derek Anderson for Taylor trade. I am not sure what else is out there for Taylor if we cant make that move.

15. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Well theres allways PJ Brown but they wanted a first rounder... But im not going for that.

16. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

there were 27 other teams that made that mistake

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Boki was a MUCH worse decision than Collier. One has been semi-productive since leaving the Rockets and getting minutes. Not good, and not on a good team. But hey, if he started at C for the Hawks last year and gets 20 mpg this year, it means he belongs in the NBA. Boki and his 8% FG shooting doesn't.

18. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

Only if we're luck...

19. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

Kurt Thomas? anyone? he's on the block but i'm not sure if the salary works out.

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Maloney was a buy-out, wasn't it?

A buy out could spread the cap hit over the life of the buyout, correct? Also, MoT might take less, because another team would pay him to play, and he could get on with his career. By reducing the cap hit, we in effect make more room under the luxury tax threshold to sign a MLE player. Kind of like credit card debt.