1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Montrezl turn the corner on his RPG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Oct 20, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

And how many Greens are there in the NBA? I think Green is more of a diamond in the rough. There will always be players who rise above their physical limitations.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Harrell was a high SECOND round pick technically. I think we have higher expectations for Morey era draft picks, wanting to see Carl Landry type splash. Even Landry looked mediocre in summer league and preseason until a MID-season rise. Capela didn't do squat until END of the season.

Not sure what else KJ and Harrell can do to show they're making a case. KJ is shooting over 50% from the floor and over 85% on his free throws. For a bricklayer like KJ that's HUGE. Agree Harrell has been decent and not tearing it up. Though in Harrell's case he actually figured to trend DOWNWARD. Looking decent out-of-position at center and NOT sucking to me is positive enough.

Also agree that it'd be nice to see a player "EXPLODE" cuz it shows they can emerge and step UP when others are down. Though KJ isn't gonna look like Kobe, Harrell isn't gonna look like Barkley or even Kenneth Faried, they just need to be reliable in their role and progress as they go.

3. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Way to really tunnel vision in on one part. But surely you recognize the irony with your next two sentences....

I think Green is more of a diamond in the rough. There will always be players who rise above their physical limitations.

So which one is it? Is it rare or is there 'always'?

Regardless, mentioning Green was a piece of a much larger thought which included the concept that a coach found a way to take Green's skills and translate them to an important cog in his team. Which is what real coaches do.

4. CertifiedTroll

Harden is our points guard.
    Trez backs up Harden as our rage guard.

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Judging by his basketball IQ,

I really don't think Montrezl is the kind of guy will like RPG, I think FPS should fit him better.

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is more of a FarmVille guy IMO.

7. dmoneybangbang

Not at all. Players like Green are rare in regards to the total number of NBA players but there's always one or two out there.

[quote{Regardless, mentioning Green was a piece of a much larger thought which included the concept that a coach found a way to take Green's skills and translate them to an important cog in his team. Which is what real coaches do.[/QUOTE]

Sure. Real coaches or whatever that means do find how to make players useful.

8. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

I always like Montrezl's game. He is fearless and aggressive. He's not afraid to get into someone's face. He won't back down from a challenge. He's athletic, crashes the board hard, attacks the rim, and aggressive on defense. When the Rockets drafted Terrence Jones, I was hoping he would be that type of player but he was incredibly soft.

Montrezl has the wing span to contest shots. He can cover quick guards and use his length to bother their shots. I think this year he will take the next step and play a big role off the bench. I think its valuable to have a player like Montrezl on the team because his tenacity, hustle plays, competitiveness and aggressiveness will rub off on his teammates.

He has the potential to be a good to great defensive player that rebounds aggressively, hustle hard, and attacks the rim every chance he gets. He also needs to get stronger to effectively defend against guys like LMA, Draymond, Blake Griffin, etc. He's a bit undersized but his wingspan makes up for it. He could be similar to Draymond Green on the defensive end but that's a reach. He may not be as naturally talented as some of the other young PF in the league, but I can see him outworking others. He is still young and have plenty of room to grow. If he can develop his mid - outside range to where he can shoot it consistently at a respectable %, then his potential can be endless