1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Michael Jordan become the next Mark Cuban?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mfastx, Apr 26, 2010.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

There are many similarities to discuss...

-Always seated front and center near the bench
    -Always wears his emotions on his sleve

And I know that he will do anything to win in Charlotte.

What do ya'll think?

2. arsenicbear

arsenicbear Member

No MJ is not the next Mark Cuban if anything it's the Nets owner in all likelihood. My understanding is that Michael Jordan is a pretty cheap ass owner. Mark Cuban seems to be a little too eager to go over the salary cap and pay luxury tax. MJ however has maintained that he will not do that.

3. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Maybe.

Mark Cuban is very impatient.
    Will Jordan be? Possibly.. It's kind of like.. amazing athletes usually don't turn out to be amazing coaches...

I don't see Jordan being a patient guy.

4. PeppermintCandy

I could be wrong, but I think the Mavericks are currently turning a profit. Before Cuban, I believe they were in the red and were one of the less popular NBA teams. In other words, Cuban spent heavily but ultimately spent wisely.

The Bobcats are heavily in debt right now, and Jordan has a lot of work to do to turn that franchise around. He might have the deep pockets, but time will tell whether he has Cuban's business acumen.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

No. He can't be. Mark Cuban makes relatively intelligent personnel decisions. They seem to draft decently. They make decent trades. And, Cuban is a billionaire so he can afford to make any move he wants. I'd have to think Jordan is among the poorest owners in the league. I don't know what his net worth is at this point, but I sincerely doubt it's over half a billion. And conversely, Jordan has a history of making TERRIBLE personnel decisions.

6. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

Heh, more like the next Isaiah Thomas

7. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I'm pretty sure he is has at least 1 billion dollars accumulated. Dude owns one of the most popular shoe and apparel brands in Jordan. I think he also owns a share of Hanes Co.

8. Asian Sensation

You're correct. Dallas was a mediocre franchise in the 80's and absolute bottom feeders during the 90's. It wasn't until Cuban purchased them in 2000 he changed the fate of that franchise.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

9 Players saw action for the Mavs against the Spurs last night.

Guess how many of them were drafted by the Mavericks under the Mark Cuban era?

If you said 0, you would be correct.

(Barea is a technicality, he wasn't drafted, but a rookie free agent signing, Najera is on his 2nd tour with the Mavs, but was originally drafted by the Rockets).

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The last dallas pick that amounted to anything was devin harris back in 2004, although dallas tends to trade a lot of draft picks. But still their drafting hasnt really been anything special.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's a difference between the two, Cuban is essentially Bill Simmons with a ton of money. He's a fan of the game, and as a fan and watching analysts discuss over the years he realizes there are a lot of people better than him in running an NBA franchise. The net result is that the Mavs are extremely well run, because its filled with people who know what they're doing.

MJ on the other hand comes in from a GOAT's perspective. He probably thinks that since playing BBall was so easy for him, managing a franchise couldn't be that different. Even worse he probably has bootlickers telling him everything he did is an act of genius. He really should have just stuck to selling shoes or whatever, the Bobcats are going nowhere under his management.

Drafting Adam morrison, passing on Brook Lopez, destroying his cap flexibility on guys like Nazr Mohammed and S-Jax. Man, if it wasn't for him being MJ people would have dogpiled on him already like they did Isiah.

1 person likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

wasn't that Boabouis kid of theirs pretty decent?

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't think MJ has reached a billion dollars yet. Tiger's leading all sports personalities in riches by a mile and I don't think he's reached 1 billion yet.

14. Asian Sensation

He got drafted by the Thunder. It would've been nice for Thunder if they kept him.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Tiger hit 1 billion late last year (like maybe a month or two before all of his shenanigans became public)

16. Rocketsfan86

Rocketsfan86 Member

how about yao ming...will he be the next mark cuban for the sharks

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

MJ is a cheap as hell Cuban isn't.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Jordan is terrible in the front office, he proved with the wizards, and now as a owner, he drafted kwame brown as no.1 pick.

19. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Nah I don't think so.

maybe you can make an argument about them, but I don't see Jordan yelling and cursing at the officials and the other team's fans.

20. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Oh really and how do you know ??

he became the majority owner during the mid season, how do you know he is cheap ?