1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Will McGraw & Hill get "Dixie-Chicked"?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mulder, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-01-12-mcgraw-politics_x.htm

Will McGraw toss his hat into the ring?
    By Karen Thomas, USA TODAY
    Tim McGraw says he and his wife, Faith Hill, might be another celebrity couple hitting the political campaign trail.

"I think it's something I'd do well," McGraw, who is a Democrat, tells the February issue of Esquire magazine (on stands Monday). He announced his plans to run for governor of Tennessee someday. "I just think as governor of the state, there would be a lot more opportunities to make some decisions and change some things."

It's not the first time McGraw has expressed an interest in politics. In 2004, he told Time magazine: "I want to run for the Senate from Tennessee. Not now, but when I'm 50."
    McGraw, 38, and Hill, 38, have three daughters, ages 8, 7 and 4. He tells Esquire he plans to wait until the girls are older — "maybe in 10 or 15 years."

2. Fatty FatBastard

But the fact remains that these people ARE getting help and handouts and reciprocation from the Gov. And they're whining that it isn't coming quickly enough?

Cry me a river.

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

If you were living in the same situation they're in, you would think it isn't coming quickly enough either.

That's just human nature, and especially the American way, we want things done yesterday and we like to bit** and moan about everything that doesn't come to us 'instantly'.

You're right there is a boatload of money going into the rebuilding of the Gulf coast region, however -- judging by everything I've heard/read -- the logistics part of it is a mess; the government doesn't seem to be spending this money the right way and channeling it in an efficient and effective manner.

The rebuilding effort in gulf coast reminds me so much of the huge waste of money and massive fraud going on in Iraq, where the only thing contractors are interested in is bleeding the government (i.e. the taxpayers) of money as long as they can and profiteer as much as they can while the opportunity is there. The rebuilding of NOLA and surrounding region seems to be heading down the same path.

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's the Christian attitude we've come to know and love.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Deckard, I think you may have missed my point...

I asked you specifically what needs to be done differently in handling the post-Katrina aftermath and how you would suggest doing it and you replied with "throw the bums out" and posted an AP article about the Presidents poll numbers... This is sort of like the people in the GARM who think that the answer to the Rocket's injury problems is firing the coach.

What I'm trying to say is that if you're going to criticize the way Bush is handling this situation, you should at least provide an alternative way of doing it or else people are going to question your motives. (Well, let me rephrase that...no one will in this forum, but you know what I mean) You didn't do that and neither did Faith and Tim Hill.

I guess I'll ask again. What is your plan for handling the post-Katrina aftermath and how does it differ from the current plan? How would you do things differently? Do you have anything more concrete that "throwing the bums out?"

BTW, before you characterize me as someone who agrees with everything Bush does because of the little 'R' next to his name (like everyone around here loves to do to anyone that has the gall to actually disagree with them), you should read some of my posts in the original Katrina thread.

Ah, yes. Never miss an opportunity to get a little Christian bashing in. Nice work.

#25 ima_drummer2k, Mar 11, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's early March, and Bush finally makes a trip to NOLA's 9th Ward. He sat in a meeting before the hurricane struck and seemed distracted, as best I can tell. Afterwards he lied about what he and his government knew prior to the storm... lied to the American people. It's been said before, but do you really think the response to this would have been the same, had it happened to a different part of the country? I don't think it would, and if it would, that scares the hell out of me.

Bush is the man with the responsibility, who occupies the desk Truman had his sign on, "The Buck Stops Here," yet he continually runs away from taking responsibility for anything gone wrong during his Administration. The words, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake," seem to be anathema to the man. If he has uttered them recently, it is out of desperation, based on his poll-driven government.

"To me, there's a lot of politics being played and a lot of people trying to put people in bad positions in order to further their agendas," McGraw, a 38-year-old native of Delhi, La., said after ABC News Radio's Dan Gordon asked about Katrina.

"When you have people dying because they're poor and black or poor and white, or because of whatever they are -- if that's a number on a political scale -- then that is the most wrong thing. That erases everything that's great about our country."

McGraw specifically criticized President Bush. "There's no reason why someone can't go down there who's supposed to be the leader of the free world … and say, 'I'm giving you a job to do and I'm not leaving here until it's done. And you're held accountable, and you're held accountable, and you're held accountable.

"'This is what I've given you to do, and if it's not done by the time I get back on my plane, then you're fired and someone else will be in your place. '"

I agree with McGraw. You ask what I would do about post-Katrina, specifically, yet isn't that a bit disingenuous? It implies (and forgive me if I have that wrong) that Bush couldn't have done much differently, and that any President would have done much the same, or worse. I don't believe that. It was Bush who made the appointments to head the agencies involved pre and post-Katrina. It was Bush who pushed through the creation of the Department of "Homeland" Security. (since when did we become a "homeland??") FEMA was shoved into DHS on his orders. The results are pretty obvious.

You asking me to provide specifics would require my ignoring what Bush and his people did,and didn't do, in the years, days and hours before the storm hit, and the period after. I can't do that. At least for me, it is impossible to separate the two. I think McGraw had a good idea. There are literally tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of Americans still waiting for checks from insurance companies, who are fighting the claims, or just ignoring them, hoping they will go away. Bush should be down there making them look like fools, bringing all the publicity his office can muster to tell these insurance companies that delay won't be acceptable. That the need is too great, the disaster too huge, and he should use names, of both companies and CEOs.

That would be a start. The problem is that the insurance companies have this administration and GOP controlled Congress in their back pocket, thus requiring...

Throw the bums OUT!!

In my opinion, of course.

Keep D&D Civil.

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Gee, there's a suprise. He's rich and out of touch with reality, of course he's a Democrat.

Wow, there's an intelligent statement. :rolleyes: The guy really sounds smart enough for the job.

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

president bush is rich and out of touch with reality - is he a democrat?

and it seems like someone like yourself who makes such an issue out of their christianity could refrain from such statements as the above.

i never bought any mcgraw or faith hill music so i dont care, but i dont understand the mentality that says "i dont agree politically with this person so i will boycot their music/movies/ect."

it reminds of of ani defranco. she had a huge lesbian fan base, but when she married a dude they turned on her. did they like her for her music or only because they thought she was like them?

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I don't know what you're talking about. I am an athiest and have been for quite awhile.

The only time i've ever mentioned christianity on these boards was when I said that it's better than islam in some respects, because as least you don't have wackos going around committing cowardly terrorist acts in the name of christianity like you do with islam.

In terms of there being a god, i believe that both groups have it wrong. But socially i'd much rather have a group of christians living nearby than muslims.

10. insane man

insane man Member

pray tell what other respects you've studied of either religion to make any jugdements.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

my mistake - i thought you were someone else.

#31 jo mama, Mar 11, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  12. surrender

surrender Member

Thanks for the effort you put into analyzing my post, but I was being 100% facetious ;) I just wanted to get in a jab at the "overrated" list

13. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please explain how exactly my comment was Christian bashing.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Excellent take. Clear and concise.