1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Mc Grady willing to play team ball anymore?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by beachboys, Feb 1, 2009.

1. beachboys

beachboys Member

One thought bothered me lately, hopefully i am wrong.

With MC Grady's contract ending soon. Is he willing to play team ball anymore? Or he just wanted to do it on himself just to perfect his figure. This happened in the Orlando magic, remember?

From the last few games, I don't know you all noticed or not, if he is willing to play the team ball, there is no way the team will loss the games. He will definitely move to find the open space but not iso all the time and let his team mate stand there doing nothing. He did scored a lot of point but the team loss the games. If he pass the ball more often, the team wouldn't loss. I believe the couch did told him in the practice, but how come he don't want to follow but doing the mistake over and over again?

I believe he know the mistake that he had made in the games but why don't he change? One reason I can explain is that he is doing this for his next big contract. This is what I am concern.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think Tmac is trying to play teamball the only way he knows how. He is very rich and I think the he would rather get rid of the elephant in the room (playoff success) than to try and milk more money from a contract.

3. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

he should retire, it will do everyone good.

4. roksoer

roksoer Member

he's been playing a lot less selfishly in the last few games, i don't see how you can say he's not playing team ball unless you haven't really watched the games

5. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Ive been watching the games can you point out to me when hes been moving without the ball and playing with intensity on D? It might not be selfish iso play but it's still selfish basketball.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The last 2 games against Sixers and Knicks. He moved much more and did move a lot on offense.

His defense is lacking, but not because he isn't trying but because he still isn't 100%. Let's focus on the truth here now shall we?

7. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

What is McGrady "playing team ball"? The way I see it is that when he tries to play team ball, he is almost predictably forcing to dish out an assist. I think he needs to get into the mentality of trying to drive TO SCORE rather than simply getting a few eyes on him and doing the obvious - kicking it out.

Maybe it's just me, but it's obviously that he will pass when he "drives". The only points he get are from jumpers, at which point, then, it would be a step forward and a fade-away - also predictable.

McGrady has to be a force to play team ball efficiently.

8. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Can someone post that picture Utah fans made during the playoffs.

It a little something like this:

McGradys (with the McDonald's golden arch)

"Now Hiring
    Second round experience not required"

---
    McGrady is still my favorite Rocket, but this was too good. I have it on my Laptop somewhere. I still think McGrady and Artest are the two guys that can take us beyond the 1st round (unless a trade happens). Yao, in my opinion, is neutralized way too easily if plans are made for him in a 7game series.

9. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Does he get back on D? Does he keep his man in front of him? Does he fight through screens? Does he close out? Does he rotate?

Does he set screens? Does he run the break? Does he cut hard to get open?

The answers are too often NO. TSlack plays street ball, not NBA team basketball.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Let's be real, the way the team played last night without T-Mac is not that different than the past couple weeks. Difference was, shots were falling in. Defense was a little better but can still be much more.

11. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Let's be real ... when TSlack is on the floor, we don't get as many easy shots. The difference was, TSlack wasn't in to hog the ball and cause low percentage possessions on offense.

I agree with you on defense.

12. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I think it was that the shots were falling. Everytime AB made a crazy drive to the basket or I would see Ron setting up for a three I felt like I might go blind, and the defense was only marginally better this time around. They should have put the Warrior away and left them in the dust back in the first half. Too many teams are clawing their way back into the game after we've put up a decent lead on them.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Sure. Yao Ming wide open dunks, Aaron Brooks' wide open layups, Rafer's wide open 3s... those are all TOUGH shots.

You just need to STFU

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I just don't understand why TMac fans have to take things so personally and make personal attacks. STFU? Really?

And I'm not sure what game you were watching last night but the Dunks and Lay-Ups were in extreamly heavy traffic.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Sixers yes, Knicks no (especially not in the final 5 minutes).

I think there's a fair chance he'll cut out the "MeMac" ball. His contract situation isn't a factor at all this year, in my opinion it has a lot more to do with his willingness to drive, which unfortunately may have been lessened by the ankle injury.

When he's reluctant to drive, he can't create. He can't. No playmaker in the history of the league made things happen dancing around the arc.

That's why I think it's critical that the Rockets keep him off the floor or yank him out of games if it's apparent he's unable, physically or mentally, to attack the rim consistently.

Evan

16. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I wouldn't say those were shots in trafiic. Of course, it wasn't like fast break, but come on, this is NBA when you are 7'6 you gotta finish when you are at the basket. The same goes to aaron, this is NBA, you gotta be able to finish layups. He made a tougher one against Warriors.

STFU? This guy is annyoing everybody.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

IMO, any time you are in the paint with multiple defenders trying to block your lay up or hanging of off your back grabbing at the ball or your arms when you go up for a dunk, you are in heavy traffic. This definition apply's to all of Yao's dunks and all of AB's lay ups. All were heavily contested and none took place with no defenders in the paint.

Because his oppinions are not the same as yours?

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

That's been the pattern lately....

19. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

No. Everyone has his/her own opinion. You cannot dissagree with that.

Read his posts, i haven't noticed any of them which would be positive. All his posts are about - Rockets will lose, Rockets suck, blah blah...

That is annoying.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

What about last year when we looked dead and made a huge 2nd half run to only end up 2 1/2 games from 1st? Would you say that was team ball or street ball? It had to be team ball because selfish ball doesn't win games, let alone 22 in a row, right?