1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Mallett start against the Browns?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 3, 2014.

?

Will Mallett start against Cleveland?

1. Yes

50.4%
  2. No

49.6%
  1. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

BoB seems more stubborn than Kubiak, so until the Texans are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I think it will be Fitzpatrick unfortunately.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think that OB is going to play whoever he feels the better QB is. I know that some would like to see what we have in Mallett, even if that means he's worse than Fitz. But I don't think that matters to OB. His goal is to win games and if he feels that Mallett is an inferior option, he's not going to play him. The fans may have given up on the season, but the coaches haven't. From what limited reports we've had about Mallett in practice, it sounds like he still has serious accuracy issues. If that's true, after 4 years in the league, then it's not far fetched to believe that they already know he's not going to provide any answers and don't need to see him in real games to confirm that.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

they have savage under contract at cheap for a while. They only have Mallet for this year. They need to see him first

4. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

at least Mallet can throw the field downfield > 40 yards. Accuracy will be tested. Hey maybe Mallet with throw to the TEs

5. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Texans badly need a deep threat - let Mallett throw a few deep ones to unstack the box and that will open up the running game a bit more.
    With Mallett's arm, he has a great "out" if the pressure comes - just toss it deep and at least give the receivers a chance to run under it. It doesn't matter if he throws it too deep - it's just another way of getting rid of the ball, with the side benefits that even if it does by chance get intercepted, it's down their end of the field and our guys get a chance if they are fast enough too.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So why bring it up? Let it go. We're getting our guy in May.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I predict he starts, has a good game or 2, then the rest of the league sees some film and catches up with him.

Just like Keenum last year. And Cousins this year.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This same logic gave David Carr an extension.

Fitz certainly isn't the only problem..but he's a problem nonetheless. It's worth taking a look at someone else.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The real question is can we still beat trash teams like Tenn and Jax with Mallett or Savage? If the answer is yes, then you go ahead and plug in someone else bc Fitz isn't going to help us beat the harder teams left on our schedule.

10. Remii

Remii Member

And what makes you think that...
    If they didn't want to "reach" for a quarterback in this past draft what makes you think they're going to reach for one in next year's draft... And not including Winston _ last year's quarterback class probably was better.

We all better get use to the idea of Mallet or Savage IMO...

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's been a problem the past two weeks: 52% comp%, 6.9 YPA, 12 punts. He's had his moments where he's clicked and moved the team - but teams now have 9 games; they know the drill: stack the box, take away Foster, blitz Fitzpatrick. They have no fear he can beat them over the top. Or even underneath, frankly, because he's simply not accurate enough.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I think you can still get called for intentional grounding if it's too deep.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Absolutely we can.

I honestly will predict right now that, with Mallett, our offense will look a ton better than with Fitz.

As I said before, I'll be at the Cleveland game. I honestly can't wait, because I feel it could be the coming out party for the offense and Mallett. We'll see if my excitement is crushed next week.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Mallet is probably worse, tbh

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree... last year was supposed to be a better QB class... at least a deeper class. Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, Garoppolo, Murray, Thomas, Boyd, McCarron, Mettenberger and Savage.

Its still early in the college season, but other than Marriota, Winston, Hundley, Cook, and Petty (could Prescott declare?), seems less deep. And after Marriota and Winston, and maybe Hundley... seems more of a crap shoot.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Lol exactly...that concerns me too. One of these guys comes in, plays surprisingly well, then the Texans avoid drafting a QB in the first round of the next draft. Then the cycle of mediocrity continues.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The last two weeks, Fitz has been bad...previous to that, he was average, which was good enough if everything else was clicking. However, he has regressed.

Regarding Andre, the guy cant even get open...how many times has Fitz gone to him with the defender completely blanketing him? Seems like Fitz forces the ball to AJ to keep him happy, but clearly, AJ is never in a position where he has any separation.

This team needs some new life in the offense...next year's draft has to have a QB, WR, and OLine within the first 4 picks...with the other pick being an ILB. Then, fill in the voids through free agency.

18. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because the 1st round QBs drafted this year are just killing it, right?

Aside from Luck, who is the best QB drafted in the first round in the last 5 years?

Tannehill?

19. Summer Song Giver

Except, the last two years first four picks, eight total, have netted us a swaggy safety who makes handfuls of mistakes of both the physical and mental variety; and a pretty good receiver.

I wouldn't go penciling in those future draft picks just yet.

20. StevieCrossover

Please!!! Purdy please!!! Put in anybody else at ab position. Put in Mr JJ Watts!!!