1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Lin or Bev FINISH games?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by garfangle, Oct 26, 2013.

1. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

Bev will finish all the games, except for garbage time, in which case it will be Brooks. Lin won't sniff the end of the fourth quarter.

2. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Beverley's balls to the wall defensive style is only possible in short spurts. It's not a style that anyone can sustain with starter's minutes (32+ mpg). In addition, the more beverley plays, the greater the load harden has to take on as a playmaker.

To put it simply, the more beverley plays, the less effective he will be defensively, and the greater the burden will be on harden offensively. Harden is going to wear down, much as he did last season, threatening the rockets' ability to utilize him effectively for the playoffs, or even in the stretch run of the regular season, as teams jockey for home court advantage throughout the playoffs.

Also, there are signs that beverley has developed a reputation and may soon be wearing a bullseye directly on his forehead. At 185 lbs., he's going to be taking a lot of "retribution" hits for his aggressive style of play. Perception is everything, and there is no question that beverley is perceived as a highly aggressive, even borderline dirty player. Beverley will definitely be taking some shots throughout the course of the season.

Lin is the far superior option, in basketball terms.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Beverley handles the pressure of playing 30-35 mpg. Mchale is committed to this plan and it may very well backfire in his face.

3. kastuul

kastuul Member

Fans who expect Lin to play Linsanity level every night, is the same type of fans expecting Bev. sustain his games for the rest of season.

4. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

Cool that you're "looking forward" to what you think will be failure.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

Prediction: Beverley will start to wear down towards the middle of the season and Mchale will order Lin to stick Bev's man when they play together. Gotta keep our defensive stopper fresh and make sure he finishes games.

7. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I miss the time when rooks does not have thread starting privileges

8. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Most nights:
    Howard - Parsons - Harden - Lin - Bev

Nights against teams with bigs
    Asik - Howard - Parsons - Harden - Who ever is having the better night

9. Rhod

Rhod Member

I come to the same conclusion now. If Rockets are not going to use Lin as he should be used, they should find him another team who can use him as the PG , and Rockets don't have to struggle and tell stories of who the starting PG is. It's better for both parties.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

You play Beverley at the end of games if you have to choose. You want the better defender out there.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

What team would that be exactly?

I can only assume by "be used as he should" means starting lead guard.

And what exactly is better for Lin? Isn't playing for a title contending team what all players dream of?

So which of the handful of title contenders is he going to and going to be "used like he should"??

Or are you just interested in filling the stat sheet and praying for all star selections? Team success be damned right?

1 person likes this.
  12. kastuul

kastuul Member

Just wondering if Bev. was a laker, would he replaces Nash to play with Kobe.

Harden FG% in 12/13
    1stQ 45.4%
    2ndQ 42.7%
    3rdQ 44.8%
    4thQ 40.3%

Beverley FG% in 12/13
    1stQ 47.7%
    2ndQ 39.4%
    3rdQ 46.0%
    4thQ 39.3%

Lin FG% in 12/13
    1stQ 46.3%
    2ndQ 42.6%
    3rdQ 40.4%
    4thQ 52.0% <-----

Lin must play more in 4Q !!!!!

13. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

LOFs who come out in threads like this are comical and pathetic at the same time with their arguments, smh. Lin does well with the second unit and may be asked to play some in 4th Q duty but I believe Bev will be starting and closing most of the time, which it should be. Lin is a solid PG but Bev's D is good and against the elite PGs of this league, I feel much better with Bev out there while the other team's best PG is on the floor. Like the old saying goes, defense wins championships and makes you a legit contender.

1 person likes this.
  14. kastuul

kastuul Member

Bev's D is good and against the elite PGs?
    It only happens in pre-season games.

OKC gradually figured out how to responded his D, even without Westbrook.
    You must forget what Reggie Jackson did to Bev.

1 person likes this.
  15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I imagine Beverly will usually finish, unless he is having a rough game, or if Lin is having a great game.

16. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I don't have thread-starting access. And I'm older than some of these thread starters. (Also, not sure how to find out if I have thread-starting access).

17. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Teams looking to rebuild or add a critical point guard component. A point guard that can play-make, is a solid offensive option, is a solid defensive option, and makes everyone on his team better.

Starting point guard.

Between Rockets and the Thunder, I wonder which team was the title contending team when Harden decided that he wanted to be a team centerpiece and get a max contract.

He doesn't need to go to an immediate title contender. He can go to a rebuilding team and be a key part of their rebuilding plan. Just like the Rockets rebuilt with first, Harden, and then Dwight, a rebuilding team can start with Jeremy Lin as their first key step towards contender status.

He can also go to a team that is just missing a piece or two to get to contention status.

Many options for a good player.

I believe he is interested in seeing Lin reach his full potential. If he does as a starter with the Rockets, great, everyone flourishes together and he becomes part of their big 3 or big 4 or big 5 (or big whatever). If he does as a sixth man with the Rockets, great, the Rockets have a capable 6th man for one or two seasons, then Jeremy moves on after he is traded or his contract is up to become a vital part of another team's plans.

As long as he reaches his potential (or even 80% of Linsanity), he will always have more options than just the Rockets.

18. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

You're right, Lin has tremendous clutch stats. You could say he should be on the floor in crunch time.

Unfortunately, the title of the thread is "will" he be and I'm not so sure about that one.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don't have much to disagree with the rest of your rebuttals, not saying I agree with it all, but I can see how people who want to see Lin shine individually would think that is what's best for him.

The part above just isn't the whole story and you know it.

Harden was already a max level guy in the eyes of at least one team(us) and possibly others and was given a hour to decide on an ultimatum of taking less money than he was worth.

Lin is not a max level guy(is already making solid money)and I would be surprised if he ever is one even if he does go to a team where he is the undisputed starting PG. So in my eyes I don't see how leaving a contender is good for him. If he wants to go down as a champion it's hard to argue he has a better shot anywhere else in the near future.

The funny thing about it all is just like you said at the end, this very well could be the great situation for him. So many people want to jump the gun and say Lin has been buried on the bench and he won't be able to showcase his talents when we haven't even played a single meaningful game this year. The second any sort of competition shows up its "best Lin go elsewhere", I just don't see the logic.

20. TTNN

TTNN Member

That's not prediction, it is already happening in preseason, in last two games, Jeremy and Beverley has been rotating in guarding opponent PG. Come on, McHale is not stupid, everyone can see Beverley's play style could not last starter's minutes, so Jeremy need to help Beverley to be a starter.