1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will KPjr put up 20 & 10 this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 31, 2021.

?

Will KPjr put up 20 & 10 this year?

1. Yes

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He's more of a 17/7 guy (with bad fg %% and lots of turnovers) at this stage.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, but not for long. Green will play along with KPJ too.

3. StevieCrossover

KPJ is probably not a starter and therefore beind the Tank Commander. Rockets have too many guards and high salaried to have sit out.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Thinking the same. I’d be thrilled with 18/8.

5. Houston77

Supporting Member

Even if Wall is here, KPJ will still play a ton of minutes. I mean, he averaged 32 minutes last season will Wall.

Corrosion likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't, that wouldn't suggest much if any improvement from where he finished last season.

He's likely to be the team's leading scorer.

7. Houston77

Supporting Member

Going from 16/6 to 18/8 is a pretty big jump. Chris Paul averaged 16 and 9. Melo 15 and 6. Holiday 17 and 6. Now, I could see him becoming a bigger scoring threat and averaging 20+, but doing so while also averaging more than 6 assists is a lot to ask.

Nolen and Corrosion like this.
  8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

21 and 8 if he gets enough time running point.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I was going to say 17 and 7 is most realistic. That would be decent growth. 21 and 8 is a big jump but he has the talent and he may just have the opportunity.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Here I am hoping for a consistent 14 ppg and 6 apg season with a more consistent three point stroke (35%), but clutchfans upping the ante at a 20 ppg / 10 apg which means you are likely future HOF.

I would seriously temper expectations. He's only he an NBA point guard for like 30 games or so. We should hope that his Assist:TO is at 2:1. something.

11. Houston77

Supporting Member

He absolutely has the talent to be a 20+ and 8 guy, but that seems like a lot to ask in his third year. Example, Dame averaged 20 and 6 his third season before becoming a 25+ point guy in his fourth. I still don’t know if KPJ will become a score or pass first point, so it’s hard to gauge his trajectory.

Kevooooo likes this.
  12. Houston77

Supporting Member

He averaged almost 17 points last season with 6.4 assists. 14 and 6 would be a major disappointment.

Denovo and Bobbythegreat like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He did it for a team that was going through the motions. The Rockets may not have a team good enough to compete for a playoff spot right now, however, that does not mean that we are not going to have structure and attempt to win as many games as possible (even if winning as many games as possible means winning only 28 games). Silas has a full season under him now and he is not coming to training camp with the expectation of actually competing for a playoff spot. He is coming with the expectation of developing the young guys + a winning culture.

As long as John Wall is still on this team and we also have a healthy EG (for the mean time), KPJ is not going to be the heavy usage player he was last season. I'd like to see the splits of how he did when he shared the backcourt with John vs when John wasn't there.

It's about setting realistic expectations. I would not be disappointed at KPJ averaging 14 ppg and 6 apg if it meant that he played within the system, if it meant that he was a hell of a lot more efficient than last year, and knowing that he is getting a great handle of actually managing the team (meaning, being an actual PG, not just handing dimes because he can find open players). He showed great strides last year and I'm very excited about the possibilities.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He ended the season a better player than his season average indicate though, the average is just dragged down by mid season struggles.

He's got the talent to be one of the best combo guards in the league, the only question is if he finally puts it all together and gets more consistent.

15. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

He averaged 16 and 6 with us this season and some/most of that was with Wall and Gordon out.

Unless one of Wall and Gordon (or both!) are traded, definitely don’t see anything close to 20/10.

It’s really hard to average 10apg. Even when it was Harden’s team and he had the ball 90% of the time, he’d average maybe 8apg. The one season he was over 10apg, everything funneled through him lol

I think a realistic stat line for KPJ is 15/6/5 if both Wall and Gordon are here and playing. If one or both are gone, maybe bump it to 18/7/5 which I’d take everyday of the week.

Dubious likes this.
  16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This right here is the problem. Even then averaging 10 assists per game is very very difficult.

Wall used to do it until he got here and forgot how to throw lob passes.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Unless Wall and Gordon get traded or are injured for long stretches (which is quite possible), KPJ will have to fight for his PT now that we have added Green onboard. I am sure the team will do everything they can to develop Green to be the future star. That can be good for KPJ or can be bad depending on how he channels the pressure.

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

In 26 games

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon Easy, you've watched enough hoops to know KPjr has IT. That was one helluva game, but...watching Kevin play...in any game, his immense talent shines through... he's worked hard to hone his mad skills...and, has a feel for the game that can't be taught. The scary deal is that he's just getting started...and at a position where it takes time to develop. Remember, he hasn't had much quality on the court with him yet. We were always injured/tanking.Wall/Oladipo...it was a mess.(and he deferred a lot too..couldn't play his game. There was plenty to be taken from his limited time with CW et al though..
    I have to disagree with you here on KPjr, man. He will be our starting PG....needs the minutes. JW won't be allowed to get in the way...mentorship for awhile...maybe.

Like, I said, for NOW..this is HIS team.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, we can agree to disagree. That's fine. I think it is still too early to tell. IMO the only way to know whether a guy has IT is when he is put in pressure situations. Last season he played with no pressure because we weren't supposed to be good and it wasn't his team. He didn't have to do much to earn his minutes because Wall and Gordon missed a lot of games and there wasn't anybody else better than him. Like I said, if Wall and Gordon are there and Green is the default future cornerstone, Porter has to do well to earn his PT. We'll see how he handles that kind of pressure.

Plowman likes this.