1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Jonathan Joseph be back next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by CoolGuy, Dec 5, 2013.

1. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Can someone explain to me the remainder of his contract and if it makes sense to keep him or cut him?

2. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

hopefully not

3. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Who would replace him? He's in the downside of his career but still better than McCain or Harris. A rookie CB takes years to develop and another FA signing likely isn't available.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I wouldn't shed a tear if they chopped every player in the secondary. Zero ballhawking skills, no speed and can't tackle. Sums up entire secondary.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You cut Schaub and Joseph, and baby, you got a cap room stew going. Though you need a lot of it for Watt.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Cut Schaub, Joseph, and OD...and dont resign Antonio.

That will take save a decent amount of money.

8. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Yep, I'd cut Arian as well.

Complete rebuild.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We'd only save like a million dollars by cutting Arian, so not really worth doing that, specially since Tate will be gone.

We'd save 4 million by cutting Schaub, 4 million or so by cutting OD, 9 million by not resigning Antonio, and I believe (someone correct me) that there wouldnt be any dead money by cutting Joseph, which would mean about 10-11 million. We could also save about 5 million by cutting Manning.

Therefore, with these cuts, we could save about 30 million in cap space, even though we'd have 10 million dead space dedicated to Schaub (which would mean a free 10 million of cap space in 2015).

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

On the website linked it seems to indicate that there's gonna be 7+M in dead money for cutting Joseph. So no that wouldn't be a very smart move to make cap-wise, would only save about 4M and you can't buy a better CB than Joseph for only 4M.

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'm curious about Wade Phillip's defense. It seems like secondary players for the Texans (like many other positions) succeed on other teams. This year it has been Alan Ball and Quentin Demps.

12. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

Mostly because we leave our secondary players out on an island. We don't get any pressure on the QB. Watt is always doubled and for some reason the rest of the guys aren't taking this to their advantage by getting to the QB. No pressure on the QB then of course the secondary is going to be made out to look bad. I understand there are times when the secondary is just god awful but its understandable for some plays. But we need to get more pressure on the QB. Where are the guys we were all gushing and hyping over like Brooks Reed and Mercellius? These two have done nothing all season long.

13. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

God I hope not, that guy is horrible. In fact, our entire secondary probably wouldn't make cut on some Texas high school teams right now, im not joking.