1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Hasheem...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaoMac09, Apr 27, 2011.

?

Will Hasheem score more points over his career than Yao in his rookie season?

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. No

100 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. Brian Cook

109 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah, but him having a bad season would make it hard to do so. Lets just hope he becomes servicable.

2. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

They should just play him, either way they win. If he turns out to be decent they win, if he sucks, which is probably the case, then they'll have a bad record and possible great draft position.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he is a free agent after this year, but don't quote me on that... :)

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Guy is almost guaranteed to be salary filler at the deadline.

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Exactly, except Old Man Alexander doesn't want to sit through any losing seasons as he is nearing the last years of his life, and refuses to go through a complete rebuilding process, so we're doomed to watching a mediocre team stay mediocre year after year as long as he's alive, unless the stars align and we get ridiculously lucky in free agency or via trade.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You have to admit, for a guy who is 7'3, Hasheem is pretty agile and gets up and down the court fast. With a little more time and practice with the team, he will probably get a better feel seeing as he has that one advantage over every other Rocket except maybe Jordan Hill. He has more experience with Finch's system and has had some success in it.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Except he doesn't have alot of time to prove himself with the Rockets. He has the first three months of whatever season the Rockets are lucky enough to have before the trading deadline. If he doesn't win over the starting position in convincing fashion over Chuck(if resigned) and Jordan Hill then its almost certain that he will be traded as an expiring contract. There is no way in hell that the Rockets would be stupid enough to extend his contract from his rookie scale deal that expires this season.

Now Jordan Hill has a chance, but again, he is in the same boat as Hasheem being that he was the #8 pick in the draft being alot of money to committ in the future for a player that wont crack the rotation. I still think that Jordan has a better shot at getting resigned, given that he has a solid first couple months in the season and there are no solid deals available in trade for another center.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thabust has no chance of winning a starting position anywhere. The question is will he get more than the NBA minimum next summer from some team.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm really not expecting him to get a starting gig at all. I would just like to see him become useful as a defender at the basket for starters. Then work on trying to start.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If he could just come in and give a good defensive effort for about 10 minutes or so, that would be sufficient enough, i think.

11. dobro1229

But sufficient enough to get the Rockets to extend his qualifying offer???... which is WAY MORE than he is worth on the court. I mean, he would have to channel his inner Wilt Chamberlain to justify that offer.

Hasheem has been a low risk gamble from day one of being a Rocket. For the sheer hope that there is a real true dominant NBA basketball player inside that mammoth giant frame of his. The Rockets front office knows this as well as you and me, and will not waste valuable cap space on him for the forseable future.

He has (hopefully)three months of precious playing time to show that he can be a consistent STARTING QUALITY CENTER, then after that, he will most likely be traded for peanuts at the deadline.

IF, they decide to let him play out the year and try and sign him to a low deal, then he most likely walks. Because, if this team really wanted me that bad, then they would have extended me on my rookie deal. That is one negative impact of being drafted so high if you bust.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Doesn't he kind of remind you of somebody at the end of this video?

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/boXUrpOX500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It boggles my mind that you can be 7-3 and athletic, and never have any injuries, and be perhaps the greatest shotblocker in college basketball history, and absolutely suck in the NBA. Is there anyone out there that can make this kid serviceable?

Please get in his head Kevin McHale...

Jordan Hill: Please put on 25 lbs and become the mobile, physical center that you should be. Get back to mixing it up and fighting for position like you did at Arizona. Lift weights dude, drink protein shakes...

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Patience young padwan, patience.

DD

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Once you get that Lottery money, its hard to stay dedicated...If I recall, those two players didnt play b-ball until the latter teen years...So their hearts may not be in it like before...They call it the NBA lottery, but these two hit the lotto!!!!

16. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Who??? Kelvin Cato? :confused:

17. dobro1229

Did you see the first 14 seconds of the clip when he gets caught off his feet and runs the floor with his head between his legs?

He didnt remind me of anyone good, thats for sure.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Thabeet's in his contract year give him the consistent minutes to prove himself either an NBA player or a bust.

This two years of being the best team not to make the playoffs is just crap.

Time to start taking some chances.