1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Hasheem...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaoMac09, Apr 27, 2011.

?

Will Hasheem score more points over his career than Yao in his rookie season?

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. No

100 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. Brian Cook

109 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used to think he had it in him. He was INTENSE at UCONN... I haven't seen that same intensity after he was drafted. He used to have a fire in his eyes. Trust me, I wish he could put it together, he has the ability.

Above all, he needs heavy playtime. He needs a coach that will just run with him and let him develop for 2-3 years. I wish we would just let him play/fail... We have nothing to lose.

(I wish we could put Chuck's brain in Thabeet)

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On his twitter he says "Just got back from working on my footwork"...

And their is a picture of him playing tennis.

It is ridiculous, the guy has like the perfect C body, and for his size he is damn athletic and he has never really gotten injured. It hurts to think about.

3. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Everyone is all over Bismack cuz of his defensive ability and athleticism... I'm not convinced Hasheem doesnt protect the rim better and have more offense than Bismack(not saying much, but its true). Thabeet also has a size advantage over every other C in the league where as Bismack is slightly undersized..

KM just play the guy!!!
    <iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5GFC5892OTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is good to know. At least he is being active. I would like to see him playing in one of these leagues though. Maybe even overseas.

5. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Why doesn't he hire David Thorpe and Hakeem to work on his skills? I still believe he can be developed into a 10pt-10rb-3blk center if given 25min a game in our system.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He can't even make layups...
    Or 2 foot hook shots.

7. Moahst

Moahst Member

I haven't given up on Thabeet, but from what I've read from interviews it seems like he just isn't that passionate about the NBA. I also think his biggest problem on the court is he fouls to much.

8. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

True, but we have been mediocre (via injuries and disappointments) for so long that people in Houston don't have the patience for a "project". I don't blame them.

9. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Neither can Tyson Chandler. All his points are off dunks in transition or ally's. Hasheem w/ development and playing time could be functional as a shotblocker/rebounder/dunker. Thats all we need at the five. If Hasheem is developed to become a Tyson Chandler/ Javale McGee type player we'd be a top 4 seed.

10. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

His passion seems to be the #1 issue. Hopefully McHale can get through to him. I'm not worried about his fouling -- that get's better w/ time played. I remember when early in their careers when Yao, Scola and Chuck hayes could not stay on the court because of fouls. We just need to play him until he fouls out/ he learns better.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Well they need patience now, this team is far away from contender status, now is the time to play the young guys to see what they have or don't have.

DD

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Contrary to popular belief in the forum, this team is not that far off from contention. 1-3 years away. As a matter of fact, if Thabeet were to miraculously develop into a 9pt, 10rbd, 2blk a game player this upcoming season( if there is one ), we would go deep into the playoffs. Possibly to the finals. We actually have all the pieces here already. They just have to get it together.

13. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I TOTALLY agree! We are NOT far at all from being contenders. To pass the time of no real Rockets news I've rewatched many of our games from this past season. All the games against Miami; the Bulls; the Spurs; the Lakers; and Dallas "the contenders" could all have been won with a rim protector/ slightly better defense. We hold our own with EVERYBODY. We were #1 in the NBA in assists; We were #3 in the NBA in scoring; #4 in FT PCT; #5 in FT's made. All we need to be elite is a defensive/shotblocking/rebounding center. Hasheem Thabeet must be given the proper training this summer and 20+ minutes next season to develop. If he fails, we know what we have and recieve a better lottery pick in a better draft. If Thabbet was coming out of UCONN in this most recent draft he would have been the number 1 pick, over Kyrie...we should view him that way now (a 7-3 Biyombo) and develop him.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

22nd in opponent's ppg, 23rd in opponent's FG%. We have too many bad defensive players to be considered contenders for a title. Reminds me of the Phoenix and Washington teams from few years ago.

15. fattz

fattz Member

This is direction we should go, IMO. Hope for the best; the best being a defensive shot-blocking center with a line of 8/11/3/2 in 25+ mins a night.
    Most dream don't come true... BUT we can only HOPE this one does.

Give time; time

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I sort of blame Adelman for our inefficiency on defense. We had a pretty good defender sitting on the bench watching most games. One positive about Thabeet, he has had a good relationship with Finch while he was with the Vipers. He also played ok while he was there. Lets not forget about McHale being a big man coach.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

One big tall shot blocking center makes up for a lot of bad defenders on the perimeter.

That is why I want them to play Thabeet...

DD

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That's been the problem since he was drafted. Because Thabust has no passion, he will always be what he is now.

What good is there in having a big car with no motor?

Also, I'm not quite as down on BB as much as I was on Thabeet when he was drafted, but I don't expect much out of him either. One advantage in the NBA he will have on Thabeet is effort. Not much else though.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Sometimes lack of confidence can be confused with lack of passion, he was plenty passionate enough at UConn, I am hopeful that he just has not responded to the NBA due to a lack of confidence.

DD

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

More likely he's already reached his goal: Making the NBA and getting a multi-million dollar contract. I remember his passion at UConn, but he was still striving to reach his goal at that time. Passion disappears when you cross the finish line.

The guy is a hopeless waste of time. If Thabust actually had a passion for basketball, we'd have seen or heard something by now. Confidence doesn't have anything to do with it. He just doesn't care enough.