1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will GOP Change?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Nov 7, 2012.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

With the percentage of white voters decreasing every election and younger generations with much more liberal social views, will GOP change its anti-immigrant, anti-gay and bible thumping social stances? I think GOP will stick with the abortion issue in the foreseeable future, but that maybe change down the line as well.

I think they will start courting Latino votes starting in 2016 by agreeing to comprehensive immigration reforms in the next four years.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe over 20 years.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They're going to have to.

The question is, will they change on FUNDAMENTAL ideas. Like the role of government. They can always present themselves as an alternative to the Left....but that alternative maybe further left than they've been before.

Had Mitt Romney run as Mitt Romney, the MA Governor last night (and not the candidate he became in the primaries), I think you would see something close to where I think the Republican party will have to go in order to win a national election.

1 person likes this.
  4. MadMax

if they wait 20 years it will be too late...the demographics will only get worse for them over the next 20 years...much worse actually. if they wait 20 years, they won't win another presidency in the next 20 years.

in 20 years, Texas may very well be a blue state.

5. pirc1

Yes, I could easily vote for governor Romney as do many moderates in this country, but governor Romney cannot win GOP primary today.

6. MadMax

Exactly right!!! The GOP has to get off the Tea Party stuff.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Too long and too late if it takes 20 years. They will be irrelevant by then.

They are still banking on the white male voters. helllooooo??! White older male voters are declining every 4 years compared to the rest of the folks that are growing at a much faster rate every 4 years.

Welcome to the new and ever-changing US demographic.

Either they get away from the extreme right wing idealogy and genuinely accept some moderate views (not fake it like Romney because the voters have caught on to them), or they will face tougher challenge every four years.

Getting rid of some of the Tea party folks this election is a good start.

If you are a Republican, and you love your party, you need to get rid of ppl like Bachmann.

8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I think 2016 will be the all in, "We hate minorities and women" last chance try for the all white Republican "conservative" vote. They are going to pander to their base so bad it's going to be hilarious. After that, the demographics will have changed too much and they will have to start giving lip service to women (that's what she said) and minorities. But it will be pretend.

9. Major

Major Member

Maybe, maybe not. A good analysis I saw suggested that they are still going to have influence because they can and will dominate midterms, where older white voters are the main group that voters. Minorities, young voters, etc don't participate in midterms, so they can maintain a solid grasp on the House as-is.

As far as the Presidential race, the 2016 primaries will be an interesting fight between the moderate Lindsey Graham type wing vs the Rick Santorum wing.

10. pirc1

They need a new generation of people like Teddy to lead them, but not sure when the GOP masses would come to this realization.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Remember it's not so much the general election that the Republican candidates worry about, but the primaries. And with the evangelical groups starting to take over a lot of the lower levels of the government, this only becomes more annoying. Basically there needs to be a candidate that can make the right wing nutjobs vote for them without actually speak like one. Bush was certainly successful at this. He actually ended up doing little towards the religious conservatives while in office, breaking promises left and right. Yet they kept voting for him. That's the perfect type of Republican candidate. Mitt Romney and McCain? Couldn't pull off the two-face act.

In other words, I still think it's more about the candidate. A lot of Americans still buy into this whole "Govt bad, freedom good" stuff that don't really work in reality. If someone can pull these voters in along with the religious right, he can probably win.

12. pirc1

Can Chris Christie pull this off next time? Would Bobby Jindal have a shot?

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No and no.

With exit polls showing some crazy findings about how important Hurricane Sandy was (something like 15% said it was THE most important factor in who they voted for lol) I don't think tea party types will ever forgive Christie for his full throated embrace of Obama in the final days of this election.

14. Major

Major Member

Jindal does is - his star has faded. Christie pissed off a lot of people this go-around, and he has a lot of non-conservative views that he probably won't back down on. You've got to think Paul Ryan is the "senior" figure now, but not sure how well he'll play in a leading role. He does check all the boxes.

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The Republican Party has to change. 1952 was 60 years ago.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Cater to Latinos and Women? Yeah right.

17. jocar

jocar Member

Let’s get one thing clear right off the bat, Republicans: You didn’t lose because people didn’t ‘wake up’ in time, or because Black Panthers carjacked all the little white nanas on the way to the polling place. The UN didn’t shut down stations in Republican states, and HAARP didn't make that gust of wind push a tree limb on just your car. ACORN didn't replace your vote with a big piece of paper that just said “Obama” on it, and George Soros didn't do a Jedi mind trick and make all red blooded Ammuuuuricans tick the D box when they meant the R. Don’t be one of those people who complain about bad referees when it’s obvious their team choked. You lost because, quite simply, your candidate was horrible.
    This isn’t the end of the world (except for Ted Nugent and his ilk); you can actually get through this. All you need to do is keep some tips in mind for next time.

1. Turn off Fox News. I know it pains you to think of it, but all of media is not in a massive conspiracy, with your beacon of light, Fox News, cutting through the lies. Look at Murdoch’s other media empires – he’s an opportunist. He saw a need for fear-based ‘reporting’ in the US, and he went with it. The over-coiffed people on the couch feeding you a steady diet of misinformation and paranoia? Not helping you. Coulter and O’Reilly are only on Fox because they need to shill their newest book; they have to be there – you don’t. Unplug the tv, get some fresh air.

2. Stop letting the lunatics run the asylum. Remember when ‘conservative’ meant ‘fiscally prudent and laissez-faire regarding social issues’? Yeah, no one else born after 1980 does either. From Ron Regan’s courting of the Religious right, to John McCain’s choice to open the floodgates of insanity in the form of Sarah Palin, intellectuals and moderates no longer run your party – extremists do. And the American public as a whole fear those extremists, and sent a message that they won’t put up with racist homophobe ignoramuses any longer. Good start getting rid of Akin, Murdouch, Walsh,and Brown, but you have more to go. Which brings us to our next point…

3. Quit the ignorance. From Santorum calling the President a ‘snob’ because he wanted all young adults to get an education, to Tea-party led school boards and districts white-washing textbooks to fit what they wished happened, versus what did, your party is likely to sink under the weight of its own stupidity. Stop being afraid of math, science, and numbers. Find your local librarian and ask her how to research primary resources. Don’t just rattle off what Breitbart or WorldNetDaily or Newsbusters or the Heritage Foundation says – look up the full text behind the sound bite. You’ll find yourself shocked by the results.

4. Tell your leaders that the buck stops here. Are you sick of political ads? Well, good luck, because they’ll be back in 1.5 years for the mid-term elections. Want to stop the rhetoric? Tell your senator, rep, council person, everyone, that you won’t vote for them again till they pass comprehensive campaign reform (this goes for all parties, by the way). Corporations are not people. Super PACs are not good. Politicians aren’t supposed to be run by lobbyists. Get the money out. And those who refuse? Get them out in the next election cycle.

And finally, because this will come up again in our nation…
    5. Choose a candidate because you like them, not because you hate the other guy. Who happens to be black. Who, the minute he took the oath, magically became the focus of birthers and prominent ferret headwear collector Donald Trump, a massive movement of the Tea Party who just ‘happened’ to spring up to fight him (even though the things they yell about were things Bush did for eight years without a peep), and a Republican led effort to ensure he’d get nothing done (to quote Mitch McConnell : “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”). I’m not going to paint all of you with a racist brush, but I will say this – they did all of this, and still lost, because Americans got sick and tired of your divisiveness. And this goes for the next candidate, who may be disabled. Or gay. Or a woman.

Republicans, you better evolve. Now. Or spend a lot of Tuesday nights, sullenly staring at the tv, making excuses for your party.

http://technorati.com/politics/artic...-the-gop-lost/

1 person likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Paul Ryan will have the stigma of being the loser on him PLUS he's only a Congressman PLUS he doesn't really have a good tv personality in debates. I'll really be surprised if he has a future as a leading man in the Republican party. In any event, I think it would be a mistake for him to for the white house in 2016. If he wants to move up the food chain I think he should strive for a Senate seat or the governorship.

Mitch Daniels, John Thune, Mike Pence, Bob McDonnell, Huckabee, Condoleezza Rice, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul and Jeb Bush. That's the list of names to watch in my mind.

I expect Christie to run, but I don't think he will make it far in the primaries. 3

I expect there to be calls for Nikki Haley and Susanna Martinez to run but neither has any shot to win. I also expect calls for Scott Walker to run.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

When I think of the neocons I think of the phrase "whistling past the graveyard."

If the Republicans don't start working in those who voted for Gary Johnson or those who supported Ron Paul, they have no chance. And to be honest, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

20. Major

Major Member

I tend to agree. But once you've been the VP nominee and you're a superstar in your party (most will blame Romney for the loss), there will be a temptation to run.

I think Mitch Daniels is definitely a guy to watch - my understanding is that he's a bit bland and boring, but he's a very smart and rational guy. Jeb Bush would be a brilliant choice, especially from a demographic perspective to try to get back the Latino vote, if he can overcome the Bush name. Rand Paul has too much crazy in him. I don't think Condi will run. Huckabee may well represent the social conservative wing of the party - it will be interesting to see what the issues are in 2016 and whether economics are the focus, or if things are going well, if foreign policy or social issues are at the forefront.