1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Gerald Green make the cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prv1981, Feb 24, 2008.

Tags:
?

Bust or Bargain?

1. Bust

130 vote(s)
    31.2%
  2. Bargain and solid Rotation player, (ie better than Luther)

287 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. trugoy

trugoy Member

Gerald Green can shoot, he can dribble, he can pass, he can jump, he can even play defense. But he has no idea how to play basketball. He reminds me of someone who is the king of playing 1 on 1 pickup ball, has all the skills but has no idea how to play a 5 on 5 team game.

2. craig.ng

craig.ng Member

i dunno man...i always thought he could be the next Tmac...

i know i might be a bit too optimistic but yea..it is really what i believe...so i was realllllly happy to see we getting him

3. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

if being better than Luther Head is considered bargain, then yeah.

Green have the raw talent and skills, what he need is good coaching, experience and a structured play. Which will be in abundance in Rox, he should do okay.

4. oldnews2

oldnews2 Member

He can help us next year.
    Before that, he has to learn a lot of things in practice.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

6. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Great point, I play ball with these dudes at the Y. The go one on one against 5 people and seem amazed that they missed a double pump jumper with 10 hands in their face.

Dude let someone set a pick for you and create a mismatch and then look to pass if you're doubled teamed.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets get a free look, can shelter him from the league (so he is cheaper) and sign him next year for a very reasonable contract.

This is a VERY smart move by Morey.

And we need good young inexpensive talent that is developing, because Carl Landry is going to be getting a HUGE raise this off season.

He and his agent did a very smart thing.

DD

8. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Agreed. The Rox got him for nothing at all. Even if he totally sucks he won't be any suckier than Kirk Snyder. He has a world of potential, hopefully it will materialize. Nice move, Morey.

9. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

We only need him to penetrate and sometimes shot the open 3s. I personally expect him to be a much better cutter than Luther.

10. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

The way I see it if he makes the rotation and out plays luther he will be a bargain kind of like what monta was for the gsw a couple seasons ago. by the monta comparison i am talking of the monta's first and second year where he was very raw but everyone could tell that the gsw got a really good player on the cheap and under the radar.

So by monta i mean, great athletic ability and upward improvement trend in which will warrant him being extended at a low budget contract due to limited exposure. In turn a la monta the player would perform at a much higher level but still be locked up. Which is how he would be a bargain.

11. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

How can a guy be a bust before he steps on the floor? This poll is too early and those options are too far apart.

This guy is what he has always been: A butt load of potential and nothing else at this point. The guy is the "Rudy Gay" that everyone wanted (not quite the skill level imo, but not that far off). Remember Rudy Gay looks so good because he has been given 30+ min a game since his Rookie Year, and Gerald Green won't get that on this team so he will develop slower. Gay was all potential (I believe more than Green singly because of his freaking 7'4" wingspan...), but Rockets got a guy who could be great for a guy that was never gonna play.

Was a great deal IMO.

12. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

so u voted bargain?

Timing didnt stop members from reacting and calling this trade a failure for trading for a "bust" of a player.

The choices are based on prediction. I dont think the choices are too far off on a limb because a) he has a bunch of potential b) he has already been proclaimed a bust

13. kwng

kwng Member

Green is still young and should given proper teaching and need to be given time. He has the physical abilities and when taught properly should make him
    a good player if he has the demeanor. Time will tell.

14. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

good points. I think it's a benefit also that he's played a good 2-3 years of NBA ball.. albeit undisciplined.

15. aakhan786

aakhan786 Contributing Member

I don't see him being better than Luther Head. Not because he can't be, but because, I don't think he will have the opportunity. I'm not sure about his shooting skills, but remember Luther Head was given an opportunity when the Rockets had no shooters. How is the Steve Novak and Gerald Green going to crack the rotation. Bostan Nachbar had the same deal, but proved himself when going to the Nets. Even Scola and Landry can become 18 & 10 guys, but it's about playing time.
    One more thing, with Bobby Jackson's expiring contract next year, look for them to get SG/SF or PG scorer. If Brent Barry comes to Houston for 2 years, Gerald and Novak will be on the inactive list or bench cheerleaders. This, of course, doesn't even include any draft picks that make the team.

Gerald Green and Bobby Jackson (expiring contract) would be an interesting package for some teams next year.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets will sign him for cheap, and see if he can develop. He is a motivated, young player with mad athleticism.....nice to have that for a change.

:D

DD

17. Asian Sensation

I think Green can become (hopefully) like Gerald Wallace. He has a very similar game/body/skill set when G. Wallace was in his 2nd year in the league.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Green showing off his smooth jumper against the Warriors:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8TvmLLjEI3E&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8TvmLLjEI3E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really hope Tracy and Shane take this guy to the next level......

20. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

i voted that he'll solidly contribute to this team but then again i've never seen the guy shoot the ball so i can't say for sure. i've only seen him dunk but he does seem have an arrogant attitude which isn't a good or bad thing. you guys who are bashing him should remember that he was playing on a very bad celtics team and not to mention an even worse timberwolves team.. he came from high school guys, so he's still developing. he's basically a poor man's tmac if you will, just give him some time and we'll see how he unfolds. i think if he talks to yao and perhaps adopt the same hard core routine we may have a very nice player in the future.. for now we'll just have to wait and see. Another thing, the person hoping that green plays half as well as snyder.. thats not saying much is it? from the games that snyder played he wasn't a player whose skills fit into this system. we needed a spot up shooter and snyder.. well he's not a very good one. he can drive to the net i'll give you that but other than that he didn't really bing that much to this team. if he plays on the suns or golden state he'll prosper i bet.