1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Gerald Green make the cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prv1981, Feb 24, 2008.

Tags:
?

Bust or Bargain?

1. Bust

130 vote(s)
    31.2%
  2. Bargain and solid Rotation player, (ie better than Luther)

287 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

So i was scouring T-wolves forums (scary, i know), and found some people referring to some article that Trudell, the T-wolves reporter up there, had had with GM McHale back in November. I tried to find the original source but can't because all those articles are subscribers only.

Anyways, basically Trudell said that Green didn't start playing basketball until he was 16-17, and his first coach didn't teach him any fundamentals, just let him do whatever he did. Also the current t-wolves coach apparently is not good at developing guards (what he said not me), so he has not improved as fast as they hoped. He felt if a good coach could teach him fundamentals, he could contribute.

Most of the fans basically all just think he has no basketball IQ, though some think he wasn't given a chance. You have take that with a grain of salt because they think if Synder is given a chance there, he could be a very good bench player. (He might, but obviously they are biased.)

2. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Ditto DD :) I agree, Boston was a mess to begin with and Minnesota wasn't much better. Hopefully this change of scenery (his hometown ironically) will trigger a change in him.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well let's hope you are right. i have no problem being wrong ;)

4. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Fitting since it is where he was born and raised.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I voted bargain because I think he will be re-signed next year. Better than Head..I don't know. I think Head will have an aura like Bobby Jackson in about 9 years except he'll have a ring or two.

Green still didn't have NBA defense down when he was in Boston. Green takes too few shots near the basket. With his height, one would expect him to play around the rim more where it is easy for him to finish.

6. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

I lol every time I see anyone say he sucks. The guy is ONLY 22! And to the guy that said he can't shoot the ball, just shut up. You don't know anything about Gerald. He's actually a pretty good shooter. Give him some time, then let's judge.

7. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

This guy is the future. He will learn immensely from being around guys like Battier, Yao, Deke, Tmac, Scola, RA, Rafer, BJ, Head, etc... This team makes everyone a part of it, and if it rubs off on the kid, he will eventually start for this team someday.

He looks like he just graduated from HS, because he's really just a kid; 'Green' is appropriate because he's a wetnose, but one day he might be 'money' in terms of scoring and producing on the court; his prom is the last thing he remembers before landing in Beantown with a team in disarray. It took TMac three or four years to become an NBA player, so Green is still on track to making the most of his NBA chance.

Let's give this kid a chance before we send him off to Greece and Italy... Morey think's it's worth a shot, and we see how his rookies are doing. I consider Green a rookie because of his lack of basketball experience, no college, and the fact that he's starting over, coming home, and getting a clean slate to develop, with a great group of guys on the team.

8. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

gerald green needs to go to the nbdl and learn like ellis did.

9. dionysus180

dionysus180 Member

:D i am just looking forward to the time green flying on floor

10. bbjai

bbjai Member

he needs to stop thinking his super mad

11. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Perhaps he'll turn out to be the rudy gay we never had...

12. blivo

blivo Member

i hate the polls that dont give u enough options, like u agree with some of what is said but not all of it...

i agree green will probally make the rotation, but i dont know about monte ellis level?...that guy is pretty damn good....and appears to be less arrogant etc...maybe that might come with time but ye..

also, does anyone remember when gerald green was playing for the celtics, and the shot clock was running down, and the ball got like knocked back court, gerald ran for it behind half way, and chucked it at the ring as quickly as he could even grab it, not even attempting to get it in, and he did...

miraculous shot..

13. zerhoe

zerhoe Member

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/geraldgreen.asp

Has a very quick, effortless release on his jump shot. Combine that with great elevation and you have an almost unblockable shot... Most of the shots go in, in fact his jump shot from midrange to outside is one of his defining qualities... Loves to spot up for the open three, or stop and pop for the 15 footer... Overall just a sick scorer from outside ... Even At 6'8 he handles the ball like a guard, often starting (and finishing) the fast break... Loves to run the floor for the ally oop dunk, but also knows when to pass the ball... Most of those passes get right where they need to be ...

He must have had a decent shot at some point in time to get that sort of rep? Course shooting in highschool is different to having a guy of equal size put a hand to your face in the nba. But still, maybe good coaching and solid support from surrounding players can mold him into a contributor/superstar.

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The only thing Novak has on Gerald is his shot and the fact he's been given numerous opportunities. I think a stint in the D league will give Gerald opportunities to develop the same as Novak and Brooks.

Imagine our future with Scola, Yao, Mandry, Green, Brooks, and Novak (hit the weights and learn how to go to the hole)!!!

15. battousai

battousai Member

Lets hope RA would give green some PT in the next two games. specially playing against the grillizes

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt he'll be on active roster over Novak.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Green can't go to the NBDL because he is in his third year.

I'd vote "incomplete" in the poll because it appears he will stay on the inactive list for all of '08 and be judged by his practice habits, ability to learn the system and dedication; for a decision to be made next summer on whether to offer him a contract.

As I understand from listening to Morey on the radio, although when Green's contract runs out this summer and he can sign with any team; we have a slight advantage in what we can pay him because of his being on our roster now.

(don't remember the CBA details, I'll leave that to NIKEstrad)

18. oldnews2

oldnews2 Member

Where can I find any video of his game?

19. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Thanks Dubby!!, let's put Deke on the inactive against teams we have an opportunity to blow out, everyone in the east except Det, C's, and Cavs

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

On this team with this system Green has a chance to become an absolute stud.

-He will likely never or seldom be doubled
    -He has a very good 3 pt shot
    -He is shoots a very good free throw percentage
    -He is an athletic freak that should be able to score a high percentage if he gets the ball close to the basket

All of the tools are there he just needs to be shown the way and have the right offensive style to help him thrive. This guy has everything we wanted in Rudy Gay.