1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Gerald Green make the cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prv1981, Feb 24, 2008.

Tags:
?

Bust or Bargain?

1. Bust

130 vote(s)
    31.2%
  2. Bargain and solid Rotation player, (ie better than Luther)

287 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I actually read an article somewhere (think it was the HC) saying that he will likely be in a similar position as Kirk Snyder was, but because of his potential, might offer some surprise help late in the season or in the playoffs where depth is a necessity.
    I think that he can be an upgrade over Luther at the very least because he offers similar skillsets, plus he's about 3 inches taller.

2. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that he develops into a good player for us. All the stuff about him being an ass or whatever seems to me like a case of he said she said. So, yeah, hope that he comes along. He does have the potential.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see any development of him as a player - and he can't shoot the ball.

He's a bust.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Same description fit Daniel Gibson out of high school. Not arrogant but loafed around never competing that hard. He's turned out okay. He benefited from college though.

Gerald Green wasnt a lotto pick, he was a few picks above Luther Head range. The "next McGrady" he's not but he could develop into a rotation player. Not COUNTING on that but he very well could.

5. theREALDEALkid

Gerald Green can shoot, he's a better player than everyone on these boards think

6. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

There should be a bargain/potential option, because as of right now he is not better than head. We got him for practically nothing, so there's really no risk at all..Getting Ryan bowen for Snyder would be a Bargain.

7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

You obviously haven't watch him play or read any scouting reports on him-
    he CAN shoot. He has very good form and he has pretty good skill sets too for a young player
    But like any young player, the hardest thing to learn first is shot selection.
    And because he was basically out of the rotation in Minnesota, he never got a chance to shine (although his maturity issues probably had something to do with it)

8. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

By "Bust" I mean he will not be signed by the Rox next season. By "Bargain and solid rotation player" I mean he will get his contracted extended and be better than luther head while playing under that extension.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

in his 3rd year his shooting hasn't improved. Not a good sign.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

you think a player like him is going to get any minutes on a deep roster in the midst of a major run to the playoffs when he couldn't get minutes on the worst team in the league?

11. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

He played about 12 minutes a game in Minnesota, so how can you truly say his shooting has improved or not? Granted, he doesn't shoot a very good %, but like I said, that has a lot to do with his maturity and basketball awareness, which can only improve. He did score about 10 ppg in 22 minutes in his second year-that nots pretty bad for a kid coming out of high school in his second year in the NBA.
    I say give the guy chance, especially since you know nothing about him and pretty much going by stereotypes based on the slam dunk contest.

12. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Green would have been served well by a few years in college to learn the fundamentals. Too bad his grades were so horrible.

He'll either learn the basics with the Rockets or overseas.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

i just don't see him even getting 5 minutes a game here.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

He shot 37% from three last season on 258 attempts and averages over 80% from the FT line for his career. Those are good signs.

He shot 48% from the field in his rookie season then dropped to 42% in his sophomore season. This season he is down to 33% but has barely played.

I don't see evidence that he can't shoot but there is not enough evidence to say that he is a good shooter, either.

There does seem to be potential for him to be a good shooter.

15. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Ellis? Forget it. Ellis is going to be a big time scorer, almost one of a kind in the league.

I just hope Green won't be a bust and become a contributor. That is all.

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Why does he either have to be a bust or a bargain?? Can't he be somewhere in between? I don't like the poll.

17. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I think management views him as a long term investment, without expectation of playing time in the near future, which I think is awesome ... ;) ... he may have the same problem as Snyder, but we got him cheaper and have the home-town advantage. He's a long shot, but I like us taking these kinds of risks. If he's a keeper, I still doubt he'll get playing time, until we lock him into a longer term contract.

18. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Here's to hoping that Gerald Green can contribute to the Rockets. Now and in the future.

19. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Because everyone feels that he is a bust up to this point. So if he does not improve he will be a bust. If he plays into the rotation and contributes more quality minutes than Snyder he is a bargain, because he is worth more than what we gave up for him.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Green is a 22 year old guy who came straight from High School to the pros, he has no idea what being a pro basketball player is all about.

Now, he can look around the locker room and see Battier, Yao, Tmac, Deke, Scola ...tons of players that know the game and prepare the proper way.

If he is ever going to make it, it will be here in Houston.

DD