1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Gerald Green make the cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prv1981, Feb 24, 2008.

Tags:
?

Bust or Bargain?

1. Bust

130 vote(s)
    31.2%
  2. Bargain and solid Rotation player, (ie better than Luther)

287 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Do you think Gerald Green will become the Rox version of Monta Ellis? By Monta Ellis I mean a player signed on a small contract playing at a much higher level making solid contribution off the bench.

Thoughts?

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

3. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

I think Gerald Green will be a really great player later on. He's shown us flashes of great potential and we got him for a low price. He already averaged 15.5 points as a starter last season in 26 contests, imagine how he'll be about 2-3 years from now!

4. lastmanstanding

i sure hope so. We're a little thin @ the wing.

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I voted potential rotation player...

Isn't this basically the purposed of the other multiple Green threads??? Why another thread?

6. cskerlecz

cskerlecz Member

Bust! Gerald Green in person is an arrogant, it is all about me snob that doesn't care about competiting and playing hard whatsoever. When he came out of high school at Gulfshores Academy here in Houston, he never tried hard because he was so much better than everyone and apparently his attitude transfered to the NBA because he plays the same way as he did about 4 years ago.

In the point of the Rockets trade though, it was a "no risk" situation. If he turns out great, it becomes a steal.. If not, he will rot at the end of the bench like Snyder did. I would truly be amazed if this kid could be 1/2 of what Snyder was.

7. cskerlecz

cskerlecz Member

Because he played on a team that didn't win last year in BOSTON! This guy before he was drafted was suppose to me the next T-Mac, at this point I would be happy if he became someone who can actually pee a drop in the NBA because as of right now, he hasn't.

8. theREALDEALkid

wut does him being on a bad team have to do with his potential, i watched Gerald Green, i live in boston, he can become a great player with the right coaching...i think if t-mac and battier take him under there wing he will be good for us...

9. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

they wanted to tank the season that's why they let him play.... for one purpose: lose!

10. uchlha

uchlha Member

let him develop under the veterans and under tmac and we will see from there. he has the potential and athletic ability just like tmac did but will he work at it is the real question.

im pulling for him to atleast become a decent player

11. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Need more than 2 options on that poll. He's 2 years removed from high school and -yet- still scored 10.4ppg last season before being traded to the wolves. I think he could be a very good player given a little seasoning.

12. TForThree

TForThree Member

Is this supposed to be a serious question? Green is definitely going to make this team and provide big help. He's just way too talented not to play at all :D

13. prv1981

I wanted to start a thread with a poll specifically to see peoples stance/opinion on him as a player. The other threads are about the trade itself w/o a poll.

I think he will probably see some time on the floor before the end of the season, maybe like 2-3 games with 5 min or less in each game.I think that he will play good behind the scenes in practice and work his way into a 2-3 yr low salary contract. In that time he will become a great asset to the team and become a bargain for the Rox in the long run.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see any development of him as a player - and he can't shoot the ball.

He's a bust.

15. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Solid rotational player. Just needs to work on how to actually play basketball.

16. Rockfan

Rockfan Contributing Member

The optimist in me says Gerald Green will be a pleasant surprise; hopefully he has a decent shooting touch that we don't know about in addition to his ridiculous hops. A similarly athletic player that disappointed me greatly was Stromile Swift - Playing in Houston with veterans gives Green the best environment he could ask for - We'll know soon enough if he has a future in the league or whether or he'll be remembered as this decade's Harold Miner.

17. prv1981

I think playing on a winning team with a structured offense/defense will do wonders for his development.

I dont think he has the tmac all around game in him, but he is definetly a capable scoring wing.

I think playing and practicing in this offense with two superstars will make it easier for him to see the floor. In turn it will slow the game down for him and make it easier for him to find ways to contribute.

I think it will be a similar situation to what happened with Landry to where he plays so well in practice they wont be able to help but play him in a game eventually.

Again I am not saying this will happen on the game floor. I think it will happen on the practice floor which is what will make the team offer him a contract extension before he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

18. prv1981

I think that GG and Stro swift only have athleticism in common. Stro went to college and was a top 3 pick out of LSU. Green was a number 18 pick with an unwarranted comparison to TMac chasing him around. The only thing GG and tmac have in common is that they both came straight out of high school and they both were athletically gifted wing players with above average height.

19. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I could see him not making it, but watching him working with Elston Turner and Dikembe in that Chron video does get me a little excited. It's really all on him to listen and work, because he has all the people here to help and guide him that he needs.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have heard all the negatives about him, I even called him Stromile Jr. in another post, but, I got a feeling, and I never know exactly why I get these, but I think this kid could turnout to be a steal. Looks like a bust, but somehow, I can't go there. Let's see what happens. If he "makes it," imagine the "youth movement" the Rockets could have: Scola, Landry, Brooks, Hayes, Novak and Green. That is more promising youngsters than we have had around here in a long time. I hope my hunch comes true.