1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Fuller - Texans 1st round pick, 21st overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2016.

?

Do you agree with this pick?

1. YES

77.4%
  2. NO

22.6%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You can't teach bigger hands or more jumping ability though.

However, to prove I'm not Bobbythenegative (lol) I'm excited about how good of a kid Fuller seems to be. He doesn't sound like a dunce. Intelligent, hardworking guys are more likely to make the most of their talent so that gives me a lot of hope.

2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I hope so. I have heard the DeSean Jackson and Ginn comparisons but what about TY Hilton? He has developed into a decent short to intermediate pass catcher although I hope Fuller can develop into a more capable all around receiver. Hilton started out as a burner TD threat his rookie year but has developed his hands and all around receiver skills since his rookie season where he had 861 yds and 7 td's. I think Fuller can play the same 3rd receiver role as TY his rookie season although I am not sure he can produce like mainly due to QB play, etc. but he has as good a chance as any to put up solid rookie numbers given his speed and playmaking ability.

Starting to like the pick more and more. I know it is fractions of a second but he was clocked faster than DeSean, Sanders and TY and he is also a little bigger than both of them. How is Brock on the long ball? Haven't seen many throws he had that were down the field much thanks to Kubes conservative offense and suspect O-line.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny what a difference a year makes, last year at this time people were whining about me being overly optimistic, now they are whining about me being overly negative because I see flaws with this pick.

It's not like there aren't things I like about the kid. I like that he's already got a relationship with Strong and that BOB has followed his career closely. I like what he can bring in slant routes where he out-runs the DB, I obviously like his deep speed. I just think that it's important to balance that with talking about his weak upper body, his T Rex arms, his baby hands, and his general lack of explosiveness as an athlete.

The kid could turn out great, he could bust. None of us know so all we can do is talk about what we do know.

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Who was your fav receiver out of the 3 options we had when we picked at 21 ?

5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Your point about him being a good person and hardworker are very underrated and why I have high hopes.

Your first comment are things that can't be taught but you can figure out ways to be a pro-bowler without these as god given abilities. See the scouting report below on a perennial Pro-bowler. I'll give you 3 guesses on who they are referring to. Measurables are almost identical to Fuller except Fuller is taller but with smaller hands.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/antonio-brown?id=497276

WEAKNESSES Lacks size. Not tall and does not possess enough bulk at this time. Needs to add strength to more effectively beat press coverage and battled for the ball in the air. Route running skills could use some refinement. Needs to become more consistent catching the ball in a crowd.

This scouting report is referring to Antonio Brown before he was drafted in the 6th round...

1 person likes this.
  6. justtxyank

Relax, I'm kidding. I'm as skeptical of the pick as you are.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's got a cannon for an arm and one of the major knocks on him in the draft was his "gunslinger" mentality. He can make all the throws but sometimes he goes for it all when he shouldn't.

Anyway, that's what they said about him as a prospect but he's obviously spent some time working on things since being in the NFL. Of all the things I worry about when it comes to Osweiler, the deep ball isn't one of them.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My favorite was Treadwell, but I liked Doctson too. That said, I understand the knocks on Treadwell, I just think that he has the physical attributes to overcome them and I'm not 100% sure Fuller does.

Then again, what do I know? Obviously the draft is a bit of a crapshoot.

1 person likes this.
  9. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, this thread get brought up every year at this time. I always have to check it to make sure I didn't say anything stupid.

11. justtxyank

They didn't test similar at all outside of arm size, weight and vertical jump.

Fuller ran his 40 significantly faster than Brown.
    Fuller's hands are a full 3/4 of an inch smaller.
    Fuller's shuttle times are worse (not horrible, but worse)

Mockdraftable does a cool little comparison on scores and Antonio Brown's closest comp based on his stats and measurables was Chad Johnson. Will Fuller's is Kenny Stills. They just aren't all that similar of players.

12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

OB tried to recruit Fuller when he coached at Penn State

John McClain ✔ ‎@McClain_on_NFL
    OB said Fuller showed up at his camp, got out of his car "and he ran a 4.3."

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yep...lol. I just took a peak at it again. That exact page I posted...and luckily it wasn't something stupid.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol reminds me of some of the knocks on Curry.

That he relies too much on his outside shot and has poor shot selection...

This is why I don't mind this pick, I don't think the Texans ever thought drafting this guy that he's going to be a star receiver, they thought he'd compliment Hopkins

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Playmaker score:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/playmaker-score-2016

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> receiver Will Fuller:&quot;From the get-go I would've loved 2play for Houston.It's crazy that they picked me&quot; <a href="https://t.co/NiJpsNJTRJ">pic.twitter.com/NiJpsNJTRJ</a></p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/726130037389287424">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Will Fuller said he's rarely cried in his life. Broke into tears when <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> drafted him.</p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/726127338912661505">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I agree. Those itty bitty hands caught a bunch of big play bombs for TD's at Notre Dame that's for sure lol

18. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Watch the video more closely. Girly man makes a basket with his girly arms and waits for the ball to fall into the basket, then tries to grab it with his girly hands.

19. conquistador#11

you guys make it seem like he's the tiny hands guy in the BK commercials and has never caught a pass. Hilton has tiny hands.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He gets so wide open he doesn't need big hands