1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Durant be better than James?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by abc2007, Sep 12, 2010.

?

Will Durant be better than James?

1. Yes

233 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. No

165 vote(s)
    41.5%
  1. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Lebron is a freak.

Like him or not.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Is that an excuse for Durant?

Either way you can't say Durant is better because LeBron hasn't taken over a series since the Detroit series.

3. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

It doesn't matter, he's 21. This thread is about potential and we've already seen his game changing ability as the leader of the USA basketball team. Visible improvements since the Laker series (Durant's first playoff series ever).

You stay rooted on that LeBron tip homeboy, he's in good hands now.

4. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

You have to factor in the fact that Durant played for UT and unfortunately this board has quite the fascination for UT hate.

5. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Fixed

6. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Well Durant isn't arrogant and cocky like James and he is a much more humble person that's for sure.

But Lebron is a better playmaker while Durant is a better scorer. Durant has better ballhandling skills than James and he is much longer. Rebounding I say both are about the same.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

I hardly argue the LeBron b/s that you boys go on everyday. How am I on his tip just because I disagree?

You sound like you're more on Durant's tip since you still have failed to come up with any type of good reasoning. Your whole thing is LeBron hasn't dominated a series since Detroit when your boy Durant has failed to do it period.

Oh and lmao @ syaing visible improvements since the Lakers series by using FIBA.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

his game changing ability remains his ability to score. nothing else in his game (playmaking for instance) improve one single bit. so if he faces a guy like ron artest again (which he didn't face in international ball) in the playoffs, what's going to happen?

the guy has to expand his overall game if he wants to be like lebron or kobe or wade. he will face tough defenders and you can't just jack up shots from way deep like he is prone to do.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

You can't be serious.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

now this is a guy that does not know a lick of basketball.

11. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

What are you talking about. It was the Thunder 1st playofs game in the history of their club. Most of those guys were in the playoffs for the 1st time in their carrers.

Durant did struggle but he has few great moments as well. This is expected. He will learn from that. That is why expierence is such important in the NBA.

And really, at least Durant was shut down by Artest, one of the best defenders in the world. LeBron if fact was completly SHUT DOWN by HIMSELF in game 5, where he just GAVE UP.

Look, this guy is only 21. I mean 21 and he is already scoring 30 ppg at this level. He is not even entering his prime so let's wait and see. LeBron is damn great, but he is not gonna be any better imo.,

12. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I came up with the reasoning in this thread, but some amateurs can't comprehend things past box scores. I can't help you.

t_mac1: I think he can get away with jacking up shots. He struggled against Artest in his first playoff series ever, it's not a big deal to me. He won't shoot over 50%, but a volume shooter around 47% who can score high degree of difficulty shots effortlessly is a big deal. Because of his length (closer to 6'11 than 6'9), expanding array of moves, pure stroke and ability to beat taller players off the dribble I see him being an absolute lethal finisher in the coming years.

He's 21!

13. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

LeBron james was 21 as well in 2006 FIBA tournament, with his super friends Wade and Melo. And he looked like deer in the light against the zone and no touchy foul.

The best record LeBron had before 2008-09 season, was 50 wins. Durant had 50 wins too and barely made playoff, had to go against the defending champion, and didn't get swept like LeBron did in 07. LeBron would have to play Spurs in first round if Cavs were in west that year. I am sure if Thunders are the 2nd seed and only need to play some 40 wins team in the first 2 rounds, he'd be in conference finals by now.

The only meaningful playoff success LeBron had was against Detroit. But then he blow it twice as the heavy favorite. That's underperform more often than not.

14. Coherent

Coherent Member

Lebron is possibly the best basketball prospect since Shaq. You just don't come across forwards that are a sturdy 6'8" 250lbs who can pass, rebound and score at will.

Durant, while he is an amazing scorer, he isn't the athlete Lebron is, nor the playmarker. So in the respect, Lebron clearly is the better option.

But if I am a GM right now and I have to chose between Lebron or Durant, I'm going Durant. A team oriented player who's ego isn't sky high. I think you can build a team around Durant better than you can Lebron. Lebron needs a ton of shooters to be effective, he can't have the traditional back-to-the-basket big man because that takes away from his lanes. Durant isn't a huge driver, so he fits well with the traditional system.

A great plausible line-up to surround Durant with would be.

C: Brandon Haywood
    PF: Jason Thompson
    SF: Kevin Durant
    SG: Andre Iguodala
    PG: Jose Calderon

Surround Durant with a slasher like Iggy, and back to the basket guys like Haywood and Thompson and you got a great team for Durant to work with.

15. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Bingo

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFFxXKQygcQ?fs=1&amp;hl=pl_PL"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFFxXKQygcQ?fs=1&amp;hl=pl_PL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

16. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Good point. How many centers are good defenders and can shoot well from outside at the same time? And is there any shooting center at all that's as efficient as those play back to the hoop?

We all heard how LeBron only had scrub. But giving him a prime Shaq will take away his game.

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I said the same thing. People falling in love with KD because he's a nice guy and a lot of people don't like Lebron now. But I don't give a damn how nice a player is give me the better player not the nicer player.

18. TheMacster

TheMacster Member

Durant has to improve in these areas:
    Defense. Rebounding. & Playmaking.

Until then he's just a prolific scorer to me and not in the top echelon w/ Kobe, Bron, etc

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

There is a good chance for KD to pass the Queen James as a player, but if you argue with the number of the titles for each, then the Queen will have at least a few more because of Wade, and Bosh, so it is a close race.

20. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

No.

He does NOT have the athletic ability.

His athletic ability is solid, but not GREAT.