1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Daryl Morey repeat the mistakes by letting players walk in free agency?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fish36floor, Feb 25, 2019.

1. amaru

amaru Member

The mistake was signing Ryno, not trading. His expiring would have been eaten up in the cap space of others. We missed our big chance to have a real big 3 during the Harden-Paul era by signing him. That dream was over before it started.

Nick_713, topfive and Nook like this.
  2. Garner

Garner Member

In fact, we should recognize that houston's medical staff likely advised not bringing luc back.

BamBam and amaru like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Both were mistakes. Heat traded Tyler Johnson and Wayne Ellington for Ryan Anderson. Factor in his $5m he gave up in the final contract year, let's say we would have had to throw in Melton. That would save us a 1st and a 2nd rounder and we would have 2 rotation players and would not have had to sign Rivers. Just a total mess. Hindsight is 20/20, but in this case it was somewhat predictable.

4. amaru

amaru Member

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute has played a total of FOUR games this season. FOUR WHOLE games! There was no “mistake” letting him go. He just might be done as an NBA player.

D-rock likes this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

I see what you are getting at. I haven’t followed Melton too closely but I never got the hype.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

There's no hype. Mediocre young assets matter, they're great as trade sweeteners or they might pan out on your team. It convinced the Suns to take Ryno's extra $5m (vs Knight + Chriss) for example. Basically worth more than a 2nd rounder, less than a first. He's played decently for a player who never should have been starting NBA games so early in his career. He's shown that he will probably be a at least a bench player in the future, which is not so common in the second round.

amaru likes this.
  7. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Morey was clearly handcuffed because of his Ryno Fup. It's not even up for debate and TF is not shy. Let's say General Soreness gets left out of the private party in NYC or elsewhere. He is not going to opt in which would make everything easier for us. How is it possible we maneuver a SNT for him. It requires Gordon, Shumpert, ++ and we are hard capped at the apron. I haven't run the numbers recently but like your previous analysis it might not work. Aaron Gordon looks to be about the best NEXT TARGET we could possibly look at that MIGHT shake free. At this point, I doubt anything happens but the starting point is our EGo in any deal. I definitely feel at this point Faried is the TP MLE target and Rivers is peace out. House is so damn disappointing. Our roster REQUIRES finding a piece like him every year when we are going to be throwing away our draft picks. This is the only way you combat what happened to the Mavs. We have an old team but you do have to bring in new blood to grow with the roster. I definitely want House in the fold before the end of the season. Our entire FA class this offseason was excrement. We knew there was possibly one dud but to blank so badly on all of them is just effin atrocious no matter how lucky we got later.

PS. General Soreness - As an aside he is a mercenary but this is also his last contract. There MIGHT be a very slim possibility that he would agree to an opt in if he was guaranteed a 5 yr max extension. A 6yr contract for him is very risky for us and he likely knows he may not beat that elsewhere. We are so bought in now that to not try it would be shortsighted. He is only getting a 4yr deal wherever he goes. I put this opp at less than 5% but if Beard and CP3 has his ear this might work. I doubt he stays in Philly for the money because when it doesn't work out he cannot force an easy trade to his choice of destination because of the cap hit and his contract value will drop quite a bit.

Mathloom likes this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Erm...

Miami was only doing that deal at the deadline.
    By that stage Melton might have proved he was a potential end of rotation PG (ie, not 'showing' end of first round pick value - his Summer League made his stock artificially climb)

Miami was thinking they were contenders or playoffs bound at the start of the season. So effectively we would have had Anderson's albatross contract on the books all season. Who is to say he shaves off $5mill to rot on the bench in Htown? Possibly he only did that so that he could be moved and find opportunity to play minutes elsewhere.
    The whole series of manoeuvres to downsize Anderson to Shumpert was about not paying Lux Tax. No way we get under that line with Tyler and Ellington. So that deal wouldn't have been accepted unless Tyler Johnons (and his Anderson like ugly contract) was being routed elsewhere.

I have a very strong feeling that Dumping $10 mill in salary was going to cost a first and a second no matter what. You can shuffle ugly salaries around the league without paying draft picks - but that wasn't the instructions here was it.

9. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Your post is sooo wrong in so many ways. We have a salary cap. Let me repeat - we have a salary cap. Ariza got $15M for one season. He has not played well this season. Moute and Anderson haven't played at all, therefore your assertion we would win a whopping 70 with the same team is ludicrous. Many of the other teams in the NBA improved so your assumption that other teams remain static is also silly.

The moves were clearly not mistakes, salary rules and if you think the same player will play up to the same level the next year as well as taking into account what sort of improvements your primary opponents have made all factor into those decisions.

D-rock and biff17 like this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I think Butler is a possibility but in that scenario we would almost certainly have to ship Clint out along with Gordon, just to make our salary situation manageable. Butler at the max would mean he, Harden and Paul alone make $114m. If we could magically secure DeAndre Jordan for the T-MLE, I would do it. If it means playing someone like Faried at C, not worth it.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

James Harden - still here
    Chris Paul - still here
    Clint Capela - still here
    Eric Gordon - still here
    Trevor Ariza - not here
    PJ Tucker - still here
    Luc Mbah A Moute - not here / replaced by Iman Shumpert
    Nene - still here
    Gerald Green - still here
    Ryan Anderson - not here / replaced by a bobblehead
    Tarik Black - not here / replaced by Kenneth Faried
    Zhou Qi - not here / replaced by Gary Clark
    Joe Johnson - not here / replaced by Austin Rivers
    Aaron Jackson - not here / replaced by Terrence Jones
    Chinanu Onuaku - not here / replaced by Chris Chiozza

Who are we crying about losing again? I guess Tarik Black or Chinanu Onuaku made profound impacts on some around here.

#51 steddinotayto, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    D-rock, Deuce and biff17 like this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Arguable things:

1) Melton's stock would decrease. It hasn't in Phoenix, I doubt it would on a team where Paul/Gordon missed significant time.
    2) I said we'd have to include compensation to account for the fact that Anderson wouldn't have shaved $5m to stay.
    3) Keeping Anderson till coming summer is not necessarily bad. In fact, we would have all our picks and 2 huge expiring contracts in Anderson and Gordon. Maybe paying the tax is worth it to be in that prime situation come summer time. Two big expiring + Melton + all our picks.
    4) It doesn't have to be the Miami deal. The point is, that trade is indication of Ryno contract's market value.

Anyways, these are all assumptions. There is no argument that's going to convince me trading Anderson, Melton, a 1st and a 2nd for Shumpert is an acceptable outcome, even after the absurdity of the signing itself.

This coming from someone who does not even dislike what Ryno gave this team while he was here. IMO the NBA changed, he did his best, and he couldn't make himself more athletic or a better shooter so it's not on him. Morey will one day admit it was his biggest mistake, I'm sure.

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

Melton....lol jesus people were crying at the prospect of losing the next Gary Payton when he's actually playing more like Gary Payton Jr. right now.

FG% 37%
    3PT% 31%
    PPG: 5.4
    APG: 3.3
    SPG: 1.5

Deuce and YOLO like this.
  14. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Looks like Philly and Boston may match up in the 1st round. If Philly flames out early in the postseason, I don't see them being willing to max out Butler and Tobias.

We wouldn't be able to fill out a roster with Butler at the max if we were hard-capped. Best way to get him would be an opt-in-and-trade (see CP3).

At $19 MM, it would be very easy to match Butler's salary in a trade. Gordon+Nene gets you there. Throw in a few picks and viola.

/enddream

Mathloom likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol...totally forgot about that dude

he had 1 20 point game while the Suns got blown out by like 40 and people were acting like we missed out on something special

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Given his personality I doubt he opts in. Also I would be weary about promising another injury-prone 32 year old a 4 year extension. Getting ourselves in trouble there.

Brand came out and said he has the green light from ownership to pay these guys btw.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Already discussed he's a small mediocre prospect. No idea why you need to **** on him or act like people are hyping him up. No different than Gary Clark or someone like that. A good chip, nothing more.

Little Bit likes this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You and I would pay the tax if we were billionaire owners!
    But sadly we're not.....

Hey I'm not arguing in favour of us getting any value out of Anderson's trade. Can Shumpert clearly bring more than Ennis even did?!? If we're splashing money like it is nobodies business, then we're paying overs for House and have him on the roster too. Shump would be an afterthought.

Sadly there are parameters Morey has to work within. The Anderson contract was crazy when he signed it. To be fair, that first year it was a signal we were going a different direction, and he shot pretty well. But I still don't know why we bid against who we bid against......

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I remember reading the Kings had offered more and he turned it down. How crazy is that.

20. steddinotayto

Totally my fault for quoting you on that because it wasn't meant to be directed to you. I'm just laughing at the fact that people really thought Melton was going to be some kind of impact player but ended up looking like the next Donte Greene.

jcf and Mathloom like this.