1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will CD screw this draft up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Baqui99, Jun 28, 2005.

?

Will CD screw this draft up?

1. Yes

181 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. No

192 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. TigerBait

TigerBait Member

Dont know about his moodiness, but all the scouting reports say he plays great defense, and they also say that he plays within himself and not out of control, and makes very few turnovers, much different from Steve.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Good point, Mrs. Bowen. I'm sure your son would agree.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Am I missing the Bowen connection? Head isn't a tall, unathletic white stiff who can harass Dirk, is he?

Baqui - what is your hatred of Head? I haven't seen him play enough to know, but all the analysis says he is a good pick, just potentially redundant for us.

4. The Real Shady

You do realize that once the Rockets trade for a PF Juwon Howard will become our backup. So sadly Bowen will only see playing time if one someone gets injured.

Please continue with craping all over the Rockets.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

LMAO @ some of the drivel in this thread (little wonder it has one star). Newsflash - you are NOT going to find an instant impact player with the freaking #24 pick in the draft, especially in a draft that is probably not as strong overall as some of the drafts in the past. The PF situation will be addressed either through trades or FA - it is sheer lunacy to think that a late 1st round pick would address it.

#105 Manny Ramirez, Jun 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

We have the worst situation at the 4 spot in the NBA. I've seen enough of Wayne Simien to know that he'll give you some solid minutes off the bench with some scoring and rebounding to boot.

7. macfan

macfan Member

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Bowen is a SF really. There are a number of teams with worse situations at PF then us. NY, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Lakers, Seattle (arguably), New Orleans...haha, all crappy teams.

If the Rockets address the PF spot in FA or otherwise, then does that mean CD still screwed up the draft? I just don't understand how you can have such a solid stance considering no one ever really knows with these things.

9. Relativist

Relativist Member

As of now, Anderson is still on the board in the second round. I hope CD can pick him up somehow. He could be a good backup swingman to go with T-Mac and all our undersized combo guards.

10. TigerBait

TigerBait Member

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Head brings youth, athleticism and speed at one of our slowest positions. He will be a good fit in JVG's system. But what they have done is essentially draft a replacement for David Wesley. Unless he morphs into a point guard instantly, I just can't see him replace Sura next season and that's a must in my book if this team is to become more competative. I wonder what they saw or didn't see in Simien. If he goes to Miami and his injury issues are behind him, then Dawson will look like a buffoon...again but by now he should be used to it (as should we all). Make no mistake, even if Juwan Howard comes back, they will still have the worst fowards in the West. Bottom line, this looks like a JVG pick.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

13. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

Dennis Lindsey just said the Head pick will make more sense once the season starts. It'll be interesting to see what we do with trades and free agency.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

What does that mean?

15. Relativist

Relativist Member

I think it confirms that one or both of Sura and Wesley are probably gone. Lindsey figures fans are scratching their heads why we would draft guards when we have Sura and Wesley and PF is the need.

16. Relativist

Relativist Member

I think there will be a lot of good 12th man candidates on the summer team this year who didn't get drafted. I know JVG tends to prefer experience over youth, but there might actually be undrafted guys who could Rybo a run for his money.

17. TigerBait

TigerBait Member

The new deal still has to be ratified, but i believe teams can have a 14 man roster now.

18. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Member

I actually like the pick of L.Head and would have taken him over simien or any of the other powerforwards left. We still have juwon howard, who many of us seem to have forgotten about. Guards are able to contribute right away more then powerfowards. Any of the Powerforwards left wouldnt have been able to contribute much anyway. I rather see a free agent foward come in and help us right away rather then a rookie powerforward.

19. Simon Honeybone

Only time will tell...

As first glance we can say lots of asinine things but I for one will wait to see how the roster shapes out before making judgement.

Trust me I wanted Wayne Simien bigtime but I also am not privy to the ultimate direction the Rockets will take.

20. candlegreen

candlegreen Member

It's simply amazing how there's so much negativity (mostly from a couple people, I guess) before we even see if anything else is being done. They're in their positions for a reason, the front office, I mean. Sometimes, it's more than just filling the hole. You draft a player with good potential and you get more trade value in the future. Furthermore, the Rockets knew where they lost at... and that's athleticism. The Rockets have a chance at an athletic Point Guard that if any of you have watched, have some swarming defense. Throughout his last college season, he's constantly guarded opposing 2 guards that are taller than him.

He's obviously had some great workouts for the Rockets to be so high on him. If the Rockets don't make another move before the start of the season, then maybe a few just criticisms could/should be made. If we start this coming season with J Howard/ Bowen/ ... Vin Baker.. yeah, maybe they screwed up. Picking who they think have a good potential with athleticism PG (one of the areas that really neede as well) with the 24th pick of the draft is NOT quite the screw up... at least not yet.

Simien had great numbers in college, but if you look closely, he's struggled defensively against bigger, physical PFs such as those in Oklahoma, Iowa State, etc. He also wore down on the road and struggled late in their lone tournament game. He's also massively undersize for a PF. I don't think he's our answer to Dirk/ Duncan/ either. Simien went to Miami, where PF height is not the main issue... and even more, does that make Haslem available as well?

Just sit back and enjoy... I'm sure the Rockets will address their PF situation...

#120 candlegreen, Jun 29, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2005