1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will CD screw this draft up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Baqui99, Jun 28, 2005.

?

Will CD screw this draft up?

1. Yes

181 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. No

192 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Agreed. At the spot they are drafting, it is unrealistic to expect them to get a true starter or someone who can step in and play now.

Again, another sensible observation. The problem is that I don't think they have a lot of time to rebuild. If 3 years from now, they are still looking for players to "grow" with T_Mac & Yao, then it's a distinct possibility that JVG is no longer with this team (he will have been fired). Also, note that they are now playing catchup with their main competitors in the Western Conference and it would be a mistake to think that they will be standing still while the Rockets try to rebuild.

If what you say is true, then they won't address the PF hole until next year at the earliest which means another season of "who's plays the 4 spot?" They don't have enough financial flexibility to get the type of player that can really make a difference this season.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

I can see where Baqui99 is coming from because I have absolutely no confidence in Dawson whatsoever. All you have to do is take a look at their draft history for the past 15 years. Too many people here continue to make excuses for Dawson by blaming Rudy, etc. but the bottom line is results. Dawson is the GM and this has happened on his watch and he should be held accountable for the state the team now finds itself - playing catchup once again. Until he shows that he can draft someone who can actually play in this league, I plan to continue to be very skeptical of his ability to find and develop players.

3. xiki

xiki Member

The scale is weighed with in season trades (helping to) land the #24 (out of 30) picks.

Forget tonite, let's see the body of work as in who is brought in between 630 tonite and the start of training camp.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Sounds like a plan. Recall what the Chronicle printed when the McGrady trade went down about the onus being on the entire organization to prove that it was capable of building a contender around Yao & T-Mac. Well, that's how I am approaching this draft and beyond: It is up to the Rockets to prove themselves competent and capable of delivering a championship contender. From this point forward, results and not excuses are all what matters.

5. haven

haven Member

CD will cave into JVG's demand for either: (a) a trade for another decrepit veteran who won't be around enough to be a central piece or (b) draft someone who is "tough," "works-hard," and "plays good defense" but can't actually rebound, score, or pass.

6. Relativist

Relativist Member

LOL.

I'm not a huge fan of CD and I'm sympathetic to your pessimism, but I'm going to play devil's advocate because there's more than one way to look at things.

Hmmm...since he's been drafted, Yao has apparently had more teammates in a two or three-year span than almost anyone else in the NBA. Other than Yao, there's practically no one on the team left from a couple years ago. Sounds like change to me.

If you're talking about improvement, well, we've made the playoffs two straight years now after half a decade in the lottery. We also went from 7th last year to 5th this year and took Dallas to a seven-game series.

Now, obviously CD doesn't get all the credit for this. Lucking into Yao has a lot to do with it, but like I said, there's more than one way of looking into things.

7. Relativist

Relativist Member

With regard to what the Rockets should do, I think most of us can agree that we want the Rockets to truly take the best player available. I still feel like all the talk of Hodge lately means that we're moving in the opposite direction and actually want Simien or something (or someone not being discussed). Realistically, I imagine we've got our war room list of prospects and contingency plans and will just take what the defense gives us, in a manner of speaking.

I think it would be a riot if we ended up taking Taft. IMO, Taft seems like the most un-JVG type draft pick.

8. xiki

xiki Member

I'll buy that. I'm optimistic, a 1/2 full net kinda guy.

9. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

CD has made some good decisions and some bad decisions but that's the way almost all GM's are. it's very difficult to predict the future and evaluate 18-20 year old kids. however, i think the worse thing CD has done has been trading away our last two 1st round picks. that and trades have sapped our youth and athleticism and we have to get some more young talent. we got too old too quick and it didn't work out for us. so hopefully CD realizes that even though this is a later pick in the 1st round we can still find some athleticism there and we have to use it.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

How ironic this post is considering it is directed towards the guy who is known for the saying "Do it in the pooper." :p :D

11. Panda

Panda Member

I have a feeling the Rockets will draft a sg/sf instead of a pf. Quality sg/sf are always more than quality pfs, and has a lot more chance to be found at #24 than a pf. Besides, the Rockets will have little to no time to develop a rookie pf cause they won't stand pat with JH and a rookie pf. With SAR/Marshall/Swift, J.Howard and possible competition from Malick Badiane another rookie pf would be cemented at the end of bench.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Told you so, and 48% here agreed with me. Carroll Dawson had a chance to improve our PF situation, but instead he takes the next Joe Forte.

13. codell

codell Member

gee whiz ...didn't realize that Head had already played out his rookie contract with us and failed miserably

14. TigerBait

TigerBait Member

Face it, our PF is coming through Free Agency. We need contribution to that position immediately, and the #24 pick was just not going to do that especially in JVG's system. Head adds athleticism and depth to the PG position, and once he improves his PG skills (already has the dribbling ability and such) i could see him becoming a great player for us.

15. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Could be an ok pick or could leave us scratching our Head :D

16. aries323

aries323 Member

I`d hate to say it, but yeah, he screwed this all up

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

18. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Member

i like the pick, head is a perfect pick for us. the steals made at the end of the drafts are usually guards and small fowards. how many quality pfs in recent memory do know that were drafted late? i honestly cant think of any. i know alot of ppl here like simens, but he isnt what we need at pf. we need a pf that can bang down and block some shots. when healthy jho can avg 15pts and 7 or 8 boards. you honestly think simens is really better than that? if anything they are virtual clones. with late picks i would gamble on a guard or draft a euro.

19. Dubious

Dubious Member

I have hopes and dreams for Luther Head. :rolleyes:

#99 Dubious, Jun 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Like in the other thread, the more I think about it, the more I think how CD didn't screw it up. If we chose a PF, we'd be looking for a rookie to do a veteran's job. It would've wasted the pick and the talents of the draftee.

Plus, Head looks like a watered down Steve Francis on offense and athleticism. Defense and moodiness to be determined....