1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Ariza average at least 18 PPG this season??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dreamfellas21, Oct 21, 2009.

1. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

I bet my friend the other day that Ariza will NOT average at least 18 PPG. I like him and all but i just don't see him scoring that much even tho we don't have our main guys in Yao and TMac. i think scola, landry, brooks, battier, and budinger will be up there in average.

he of course says "who else will score for us?!"

im thinking like 15 PPG for Ariza. what say you?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

4. 1individual

1individual Member

Was there a need to start a new thread?

18ppg is over expectations, impossible. He'd have to chuck up a ton of shots to average that much. I say 11ppg.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Even Ariza himself wouldn't bet on scoring 18 ppg. Actually, he'd probably be the first to say it isn't expected of him.

I'd say about 11 or 12 ppg from Ariza and plenty of steals, a couple blocks. Thank you, disabled player exception $$$.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There's no way.

I'd be surprised if crosses 15 ppg. The Rockets offense will likely run less through him when the real games start, and be more PG-centric (with Brooks, Lowry). Plus, McGrady will probably come back at some point, and then he'll be the primary focus of the offense.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You definitely won yourself a bet. He would have to more than double his career best scoring average to do that. Highly unlikely. 12 ppg is more likely.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

10 - 15ppg would be expected. 18ppg from Ariza, probably means this team is headed to the lottery, because that means the rest of the team sucks.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think you're probably right.

He'll have games of 20+, but I don't expect to see night-to-night consistent point production from anyone on our roster.

Evan

10. RyanB

RyanB Member

I think he'll be 10 ppg
    he is not a pure scorer, but Brooks, Scola, Budinger are real scorers
    we can lean on him for defense along with Battier

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok. Counterquestion:
    Do we need him to?

12. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Highly doubt it. He'll be around 12ppg. Brooks, Scola, maybe Landry, and eventually McGrady will average more points.

13. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

There's no way he will average 18 pts this year. His game is not creating offense and scoring at will, which pretty much is needed to average close to 20 points a game. I'll say he'll contribute about 12 ppg, and shutdown D.

14. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I don't think so, the guy is just an adequate scorer with above average D.

15. sefril

sefril Member

nah, don't force him to trying too much.. 11-12ppg will be enough, as long as he averaging 2.5+spg.. :D

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You Sir made a good bet. But, I hope you lose that bet! :D

17. devilsdandruff

of course not.

18. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

I would say no, the Rockets team might not even have one player that gets over 18 points a game. The scoring will be unselfishly divided between many players. This is what I like about this team, everybody will be involved and it really doesn't matter who gets the points. In our offense, some nights a certain player may benefit more from being the recipient of some easy baskets and it looks like we will be rewarding our bigs if they hustle down court. It is possible that we could have about 7 players averaging in double figures and look for Chuck Hayes to have one of his best offensive seasons.

19. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm going with no he won't score that many per game. As a matter of fact, I would say that if he is scoring that much, the offense may not be working correctly. All signs in the preseason have been pointing to running more and created opportunities for everyone. We won't need him to score that much to be effective.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

no. hehe. no.