1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Arian be OK? Or is it time to feature Tate?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Richie_Rich, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously, Foster isn't 100% yet.

But how much of his "rust" is due to injury recovery vs. lack of game conditioning?

Ben Tate looked explosive and hit holes with authority. He ran downhill with a full head of steam, and it was a joy to watch.

So how will this play out?

50/50 RBBC with Tate? Or will Arian round into Pro Bowl shape in a few weeks?

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He looked pissed when they took him out on a play in the 4th qt.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Foster didn't look right last season, I think we're just in for more of the same this season. The startling thing to me is his inability to break tackles and get extra yards through just his own effort. That used to be something he excelled at doing and it's just nonexistent now. That little swing pass out of the backfield, he used to make a move or break a tackle and go 15 yards. Now it's a 5 yard catch and he's down.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Foster was not that good last season.

5. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

This is pretty knee jerk... it has only been one game. I think he'll return to form, remember that he didn't play at all during the preseason. Tate looked mighty good out there, though.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Considering we are almost assured to lose Tate in free agency after this year, I really hope that Arian gets back his mojo.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Arian has been paid. Kubiak should play whoever is getting the job done. When Tate is running like a bull, Arian needs to sit when he isn't leaving it all out on the field.

Unfortunately, Arian might be the kind of guy who needs to feel some heat in order to play his best.

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

I would argue that this is based on last season's performances as well.

I still believe Arian's red zone ability is far better than Tate, but Tate is looking really really good.

9. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

He hasn't really done much since May. Even then that's just practice reps. He hasn't taken an actual game snap since the playoff game against the Patriots. Today was basically his "preseason" so to speak. Not too worried yet.

10. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

So it's 'knee jerk' to pose the question?

Clearly he didn't play during the offseason... that's why the question was asked if Foster's rust is attributed to poor game conditioning. But I'm sure there are some that believe he may have lost his edge (or maybe even a step) in comparison to Tate.

I'm not one to say he has, but this is a discussion board so we'll discuss it.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The biggest thing Foster has seemingly lacked since last season is his ability to continue running after contact. Whereas before, he was able to run through arm tackles around his legs, now he goes down at first contact. Part of me thinks it's intentional to save his body from wear and tear, but part of me is afraid that the overuse is starting to take its toll on him, and he's losing the ability to make people miss. Regardless, he's still an integral part of this offense, and we need him firing on all cylinders. He has definitely shown that he is the type of guy that gets better as the season progresses, so I'm going to let this play out.

12. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Interesting article from Yahoo

Arian Foster touches the ball 24 times, but he still doesn’t look happy with it

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ball-24-times-still-doesn-055218517--nfl.html

Back on August 30, Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak pledged to lighten the workload of Arian Foster, coming off back and calf injuries this offseeason, and split carries with Ben Tate in Week 1.
    "Obviously I don't think Arian is going to be a 30-carry guy opening night without camp," Kubiak said.

Well, how about 24 touches, and a pair of drops? That apparently isn't going to cut it for Foster going forward.

Foster ran the ball 18 times for 57 yards (with a long of nine) and caught six passes for 33 yards. Ninety yards on 24 touches isn't your typical Foster output, and maybe the injuries held him back a little. He was stopped on 3rd-and-1 and 4th-and-1 runs in the first half, and he dropped a catchable 3rd-and-8 pass in the fourth quarter that could have converted a first down, along with another dumpoff later.

But Foster apparently believed that he and not Tate (who ran nine times for 55 yards, and had two catches for seven) should have been out there as the Texans were grinding down the clock towards a comeback 31-28 win in San Diego.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Interesting cut-away to Arian Foster, clearly frustrated on the sideline while Ben Tate stays in the game. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/377301767651725312">September 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>&quot;That's (BS), dog.&quot; Arian Foster after being called back to the sideline. He's not liking this shared carries arrangement with Ben Tate.</p>&mdash; Cedric Golden (@CedGolden) <a href="https://twitter.com/CedGolden/statuses/377302223656460291">September 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Tate was great out there. Foster needs to control his anger.

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I'll take 1400 yards and 17 tds (2 receiving) every year.

15. Grinds

Grinds Member

Surprised such a noble man would behave in that manner... smh.

16. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

I was pretty disappointed in the way he acted after he got sidelined. He had his turn, Tate was the better player tonight.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Didn't show up for the media..going to get fined. Something is up.

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Foster looked rusty for sure but some of that was expected with him having not played in quite a while.

19. Grinds

Grinds Member

Sure, but Foster has been on a slow deterioration since the rushing title.

2010 4.8 y/c
    2011 4.4 y/c
    2012 4.1 y/c

Overuse last season won't help either.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sometimes you hold onto RBs too long.

DD