1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Adelman finally coach a season with the full roster(core players) intact?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pacmania, Jul 12, 2010.

1. pacmania

pacmania Member

I think this is cause for optimism this coming season. A testament to the coaching prowess of Ric Adelman if I recall correctly he has yet to coach a season where our core was intact (during his stint he has usually coached with a key player not playing due to injury) and still managed a decent win-loss percentage. By the time Adelman took over, Tmac was already on the decline so the best years of the Tmac-Yao era were coached by Jeff Van Gundy.

During his first year, Adelman steered the rockets to a record 22 game winning streak despite Yao going down.

During the second year, we acquired ron artest, tmac went down, and Yao would eventually get injured as well during the playoffs. And yet he managed to bring us to the second round ( which JVG never accomplished with a full roster intact) and took the defending champion LA lakers to game seven , a feat which no other team accomplished.

During the third year, no Yao, no Tmac, no artest, and we still finish with a decent 42-40 record and were still stayed competitive .

That is a pretty impressive coaching resume' so far since he has coached the team under adverse conditions and rarely had a full roster with our core intact.

I think its about the system he built that has more flexibility. We have yet to see what coach adelman can do with a full roster in tact, hopefully Yao is healthy this year so we can finally see what adelman can accomplish.

2. windz

windz Member

this is just a cleverly disguise "blame jvg" thread...

who will know if the players will get injure or not besides God.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I hope so, the Rox are due for more than a few healthy years.

DD

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

If you mean will the core play the majority of the games this season, then YES. Now, we can already pencil in Yao to miss 10-15 games, Martin should miss a dozen or so and unknown injuries will undoubtedly pop up. That is why being such a deep team will be VERY useful in the end.

5. pacmania

pacmania Member

I don't blame JVG, I think he did the best that he could. But personally I prefer a coach with both theoretical and practical knowledge than one with theoretical knowledge alone.

I think thats why Lebron demanded a coach who is a former player.

6. Prince

Prince Member

let me check my crystal ball..

hey I see Adelman holding a trophy, Im not sure though if it's NBA or Summer League trophy.

7. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Dude really STFU, this not a blame JVG thread, this is actually a good thread.

8. pacmania

pacmania Member

It should be cause for optimism , the law of averages mandates we should have a full season with our roster intact.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yao and martin are both pretty injury prone.

10. pacmania

pacmania Member

I think in some aspects Adelman and Morey are similar . They both want flexibility. Hopefully this system will be superior to the isolation sets most other coaches are accustomed to.

11. pacmania

pacmania Member

Its like a box of chocolates , you never know what your going to get. ;)

12. pacmania

pacmania Member

Hopefully their playing time is managed carefully and properly and risks minimized by our depth.

The celtics actually played possum during the regular season just to get their core healthy during the playoffs.

13. pacmania

pacmania Member

this is an interesting strategy by the celtics last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-celticsfinals052910

"With a month left in the regular season, Doc Rivers gathered Paul Pierce(notes), Kevin Garnett(notes) and Ray Allen(notes) in his office to tell them how they would be champions again. They were so far away, so uncertain the possibility remained plausible. The longer the season had gone with worn legs, beat-up bodies and bad losses, the clearer the truth had become for Rivers. They would stop angling for playoff seeding and home court, stop treating the regular season with urgency.

Listen, we’re going to practice harder, you’re going to play less and there’s going to be a minute restriction,” Rivers told them. Garnett’s and Pierce’s faces grew long, and Rivers punctuated his declaration with the obvious: “And I know you’re not going to like this, but the only way you’re going to win is healthy.”

Two and a half months later, his tie undone and his plan unfolded, Rivers laughed that throaty laugh and sighed: “I had seen unhealthy, and we were .500 unhealthy …

“… We only had one shot at this.”

All around Rivers, they reached out to congratulate him, shake his hand and soon he was on the move in the Garden. He was walking and talking, the friendliest, most engaging man in the building. The Celtics had destroyed the Orlando Magic 96-84 in Game 6, and it was old times in old-town Boston: Back to the NBA Finals, back to hang an 18th championship banner. Against all odds, this was a most improbable playoff run, born out of a coach’s belief that this roster was still constructed for springtime success.

“I thought it was the right plan, but it didn’t look right because we were losing,” Rivers said. “But guys were resting and conditioning, and I thought that was the only chance we had.”

So, Rivers would watch Garnett seethe on the bench and wonder whether they would ever get through this and into the clear. “Kevin doesn’t have a shut-down button,” Rivers said. They took him out of games, lost leads and Garnett would deliver that icy glare that demanded Rivers return him to the floor. It felt like the season was slipping away in March and April, but it turned out that it was just getting started.

14. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Don't worry, the Basketball Gods have punished us enough ever since the McGrady debacle. Hopefully they turn their attention to the Heat now, lol.

15. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Nope. You just jinxed us.

Kidding.

I certainly hope so. Keeping your fingers crossed for health is something that is a prerequisite to being a Rockets fan.

16. rocketschamp3

rocketschamp3 Member

im hoping and praying to see the rockets go one year were all the team is not hit with injury

17. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Nope. If its not Yao its gonna be Martin. When was the last time he played a full season?

18. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Most definitely possibly maybe!

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

We probably should ask Paul the Octopus.

20. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

We all know that the biggest question mark injury-wise is YAO. He's the backbone of this team. If yao plays, we're in good shape; if he doesn't we'll continue to struggle defensively and in half-court.

I think a good strategy going into the season would be to bench Yao and let him come off the bench to get his feet wet for at least 1 1/2 - 2 months and limit him to about 14-17 mins/game.

We can use a partial MLE or Vet exception and sign someone on the cheap and have them start the first portion of the season. OR you can have Jordan Hill/Chuck Hayes start at center...though Hill hasnt exactly impressed me much in the Summer Leagues so far. Maybe Theo Ratliff?? I know he's as old as dirt, but i'm sure he can give us some valuable mins defensively.

We know it was tough to see Chuck at the center spot, but i would much rather have that, and have Yao at 100% when playoff time rolls around so he can put in about 25-30 mins in the playoffs.

With the type of surgery Yao had, they've gotta bring him along slow and cant let him go hard right away.