1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WIKILEAKS] Release Vault 7 CIA Hacking Tool Repository

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NSA was invented in large part to protect the data security of Americans from foreign intelligence agencies, but early on they decided they'd rather read your data than protect it from being read. They've been weakening encryption security since the 1970s. Google "DES keys". DES was released as a standard in 1975. NSA lobbied hard to neuter the key length so that what should have been a 64 bit key (secure then) was only a 56 bit key that they could brute force. The thing is, if they can brute force it, so can anyone else with a computing budget.

This revelation isn't anything new by any means. The government has preferred ensuring that they retain the right to access your data to (their mission of) protecting your data from foreign intelligence from the very beginning of individual digital data - for longer than most of us have been alive. If you are surprised by any of this, then you haven't been paying attention for very long. I have to wonder how many people are only looking now because it furthers their political narraitave.

#21 Ottomaton, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wouldn't buy any Chinese phones or tv's as well.

Seems like everyone's getting in on the game

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I wonder what Vlad and his errand boy Julian would have to do to get some of the idiots around here to react.

"Well, they leaked the NOC list from Mission Impossible - SERVES THOSE SPIES RIGHT FOR BEING SO DUPLICITOUS - Enjoy your Nathan Hale moments, you glory hogs!"

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, he is a Trump supporter. He needs as much rationalization as he can disinter.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Wikileaks-Russia-Trump trio desperately trying to make the CIA/Intelligence Community look bad.

They must be scared of what the CIA knows.

Whatever it is, it'll all come out eventually; even if they try delaying/deflecting as much as they can.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that some aren't aware of the security vulnerabilities out there. There does not seem to be anything new here. Intentionally planting backdoor shouldn't be a surprise. CIA wanting to keep zero day vulnerability to themselves shouldn't be a surprise either.

Doesn't mean it's like an open door out there.

Why does the CIA and NSA want these capabilities? Because they want and NEED to be a step ahead of the Russian, Chinese and others. Just the world we live in. It's always going to be a cat and mouse game... the private sector need to continuing shore up security.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/03/06/trump-putin-and-the-new-cold-war

In 2008, according to “Dark Territory,” a history of cyberwar by Fred Kaplan, Russian hackers accomplished a feat that Pentagon officials considered almost impossible: breaching a classified network that wasn’t even connected to the public Internet. Apparently, Russian spies had supplied cheap thumb drives, stocked with viruses, to retail kiosks near nato headquarters in Kabul, betting, correctly, that a U.S. serviceman or woman would buy one and insert it into a secure computer.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

At what point can folks on this forum actually admit that the material published by Wikileaks is ACTUAL material?...No one from the DNC argued against its merits when they were hacked...they only argued that they were hacked... Wikileaks has NEVER been shown to publish/release false information. If they were "russian agents" why would they want to publish real material. Secondly what does this say about our cyber infrastructure that foreign powers now supercede our capabilities in tech... So many questions and so few answers from the left...

ipaman likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Material can be both true and one sided for a reason. I don't really follow WikiLeaks, but I wonder how much material have they released about the inner works of Putin and his government?

Who said we are behind? I don't think anyone in this forum can even know. I would bet we probably aren't.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I havent had much time to comb through some of this stuff...but man this stuff is grade A crazy...always thought Alex Jones was a crazy right wing nut...but the dude has been saying this stuff for a long time. When the CIA can alter digital fingerprints...I have to believe that the Russian story is completely and utterly a sham. Conspiracy theorist just received a flood of new ammo.

The CIA has massive storage databases that house trillions of hours of information on citizens across the globe. With a click, you can search every detail about a person and use it against them...All of this reminds of the scene in the Dark Knight when Bruce uses tech to get a 3D map using sonar...and Lucius Fox was ready to walk away if Bruce didnt destroy it after he was done. This tech is now a real possibility. Scary that we are all spied on...by our own nation.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_material_published_by_WikiLeaks

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Why hasn't WIKILEAKS released anything RE: the FSB?

:rolleyes:

13. Buck Turgidson

Seriously? You of all people are saying this?

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

A quick glance and this is the only Russian ref, under the heading Unpublished material. So it was never released.
    • In October 2010, Assange told a leading Moscow newspaper that "[t]he Kremlin had better brace itself for a coming wave of WikiLeaks disclosures about Russia."[196][197]In late November, Assange stated, "we have material on many businesses and governments, including in Russia. It's not right to say there's going to be a particular focus on Russia".[198] On 23 December 2010, the Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta announced that it had been granted access to a wide range of materials from the WikiLeaks database. The newspaper said that it will begin releasing these materials in January 2011, with an eye toward exposing corruption in the Russian government.[199][200]

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I think you posted in the wrong thread.

16. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

ALEX JONES JIZZED HIS PANTS

#36 RocketsLegend, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Glad I bought that Hisense 65H8C! 65" 4K, HDR10, wide color gamut, all for only $725!

And no CIA (unless CIA stands for Chinese Intelligence Agency).

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't hear anyone saying Wikileaks is a bunch of "russian agents" but they sure seem to do things that support Russia's goals these days, and as per previous posts, they suddenly decided, circa 2010, that Russia no longer had ANY corruption, whatsoever. They obtained material and never released it, and then not one solitary negative peep about Russia.... hrmm...

So while you see questions on the left, a lot of people have a lot of questions about Russia's unprecedented involvement in this last election. A lot of people from left, right and center. And you can question the "left," if you want, and if that's what Fox encourages, I guess. But it's like asking the 10th man on the bench why the Phoenix Suns are losing games. The GOP has the coach, the general manager and the five starters right now. You feel me? They're in charge, they own this all now, so they deserve questions from the American people. You voted them in, so help hold them accountable.

Crying about the 10th man (the Democrats) is like all those pathetic D-Mo threads! :D

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Assange is just asking to be Kim Jong Nam(ed).

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My Samsung washing machine just divulged I used the wrong temperature. And now I know where my missing socks end up (right Comrade?).

B-Bob likes this.