1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WiFi questions (Routers)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Load balancing.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Google Mesh system.

Best I have ever owned.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So it seems the router was the issue had the provider come out and they could only check outside but he gave me a new modem and it works great.

Sajan, Dr of Dunk and TWS1986 like this.
  4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Nice. Glad you didn't ISO us!

Sajan and jiggyfly like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Easy and no-cost solutions are always good. lol.

jiggyfly and TWS1986 like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who do you think I am.

James Harden.:eek:

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This true so I guess the lesson is modems have shelf lifes.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

Nice. That's why it's important to isolate and find the root cause before just buying more new equipment.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hoping you have better luck that we did. Swapping service provider equipment worked better for us for a little bit, but after a few weeks/months we were back to having intermittent problems. We have a lot of devices and had to get a router that was more suited for that type of use. Setup was a little annoying as we had to put the 3:1 device's router function into bypass mode. So far so good for us, though with the new setup.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I had brought a a router set up about a year ago and never really got it to work, I will probably try and set it up again at some point.

I use a wifi adapter on my laptop and that fixed my problem before this.

I have 3 luma pods but I wonder if they are just to outdated to hook up anymore got them in 2018 before the last modem got replaced.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Usually the issue is that something outside the router hardware itself has changed to cause it to no longer "work" anymore. It's usually something like channels being overcrowded, some upgrade that reset some setting, etc. Usually when a router stops working, it's because it really has stopped working. lol.

For example, I only use my providers modem, not their router. I run my own router behind it. For some reason, my speeds dropped big-time one day for no reason and the provider couldn't figure it out and said they hadn't changed any settings on their end. I went into the settings of my router and noticed an auto-update of the firmware was applied right before I noticed the speed drop. It ended up being a setting changed that throttled the speed. I unchecked that option in the settings and my speeds were back to normal.

I still wonder if your problem was related to the fact you were sitting on some overpopulated channel/interference or something. The fact your modem didn't support 5GHz also kind of sucked, but that could be worked around. What model of modem did they give you for the new one? The same model?

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

FWIW, here's my internet/wifi setup: internet comes into the house via coaxial cable---> connected to a Zoom DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem that I bought on Amazon--> connected to an Orbi RBK50 mesh wifi system base station via ethernet, which than sends wifi signal to both an Orbi Satellite and various device at the home. Works very well. Never had any equipment issues within the home (any internet outage is a matter of signal coming in from ISP). Also, it's worth it to buy your own cable modem instead of paying the monthly rental fee that the cable company charges.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Centurylink c4000lg

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Yeah... serious upgrade. :D

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't know if you are serious or not.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I am always serious.

jk. Yes, I was being serious. :D Well, just based upon the specs on that sheet, anyway, compared to what you had before. It could be a completely crappy router, but on specs alone, it's like going from a cheap VW to a Lambo.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Good to know.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Was just looking at reviews and its $350 on amazon, I really see what you mean.:D

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Necro bump... mesh routers questions/recommendations/advice. I currently have a Netgear AC2300. Have one deskkside computer hard wired to it, a work laptop also hard wired, and then two or three laptops, 3-4 cell phones and two TVs wifi'd t it. Stream Netflix, Amazon prime. Have 1HB service from Consolidated.

Looking to improve both speed and spread, so started researching mesh. I see TP-Link has a 3-band wifi6 two-kit for $279 and a 2-band wifi6 3 pack for $249. I really would like a 3 pack so I can put one next to the TV in the living room, and one in a room at the other end of the house (2700 sq ft one story), and one in my office in the middle.

Seems most 3-band 3pack are a lot closer to $500 and above (some getting to $1k). Any suggestions between $300 and $500? Or should either of the TP-Link's satisfy my requirements?

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we did the TP-Link 3 pack and have been happy with it. Basically what my wife's IT people recommended. one upstairs in middle br, one downstairs in the front of the house, one downstairs at the back of the house. eliminated all the dead spots and iffy phone connections.