1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wifi question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigSherv, Sep 3, 2009.

1. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

So yesterday we were at Hooter’s on Kirby doing our draft for our fantasy football league. We have a new laptop that is about 3 months old. Runs Vista home, built-in wireless g, etc.

I tried 100 times and could not find the Hooter’s wireless network. Both my friends did and I could get it on my iPhone but not on the laptop. I tired to manually enter it in and it would not come up?

Anyone know why this could happen?

2. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I would guess that you're probably having issues with your wireless card. It's really difficult to solve if I can't see the computer, but some of this may help:

1.) Contact tech support for your current laptop. They might be able to give you some good suggestions on how to solve the problem. A hardwire diagnostic test wouldn't be bad either. Can you still connect from home? Are you getting any error messages? Even the most insignificant details can be important for troubleshooting.

2.) What kind of warranty do you have on it? It might be something you can get replaced or repaired.

3.) Get a MacBook? What, I work for Apple. Of course I'd suggest that. :D

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

check for updates for your PC. If you need to update, do so and install. restart and see what happens.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is your card set to accept wireless b as well as g? Perhaps the Hooter's network is b or n and your network card is not set to negotiate down to "b" or the Hooter's network is "n" and not set to negotiate down to "g".

I assume your card has connected to wireless networks prior to this incident.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you been able to see any other wireless networks with the same laptop?

6. updawg

updawg Member

i would think that as said above it was set specifically to g or n etc.

or did you accidentally slide/hit the button to turn off the wireless adapter. I did this once, took me awhile to notice it

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This happened to a friend of my wife's. She called and said she could not connect to wireless and could I have a look at it. She left it at the house, I came home, turned on the wireless button and things worked just fine. She had no idea how she had managed to do that.

8. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

It is about three months odl so it is in warranty. I know it needs updates so i will try that. It found ten other secured secured networks, just not the hooter one.

It has no issue finding our home one.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If you have Vista, you need to right click on Network and do a wireless search on that screen then tell you laptop that a particular network is ok.

Good ole MS taking the easy out of XP.

DD