1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wife pregnant, about to lose job and going for Unemployment...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HectikG81, May 29, 2003.

1. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

I'm in some need of advice here, I have a pretty decent job, (it pays the bills @ $30,000/yr) and just married and have child on the way...

My pregnant wife makes about 17k a year and she just started about three months ago and they are about to close the doors.

Now it will be REALLY tough just on my income alone, we are planning on moving back with parents in July as our lease is up at apartments.

Can she file for unemployment???

Who is willing to hire pregnant women???

I'm 22 and in some need of help...

I'll go out and get a second job if I have too, but is there any one out here who can give us some advice??? Thanks.

2. cson

cson Contributing Member

What county do you live in ? Harris?

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Go get unemployment, get on WIC (you can definitely get this), and see about an other government assistance (i.e. Lone Star Card, whatever). Go get another job also and do whatever is necessary to make your family work. Times will suck but it is definitely doable. Trust me I know, been there, done that. Do whatever you can to get out of the parents house because it will drive you insane and will only cause more strain. Once you get through this, together, it will make you stronger. We will be praying for you.

MB

edit: Here is a link with some numbers you can call.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/lablaw/assist.html

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Man, that's rough. I can't even begin to sympathize with you. There is no way I'm ready financially or emotionally to handle a kid.

There is no possible way that I would ever consider moving in with my parents or my wife's parents. NO.......WAY.......IN......HELL...

5. PhiSlammaJamma

My sister was pregnant, had her baby, and when she called to find out what day she should return, they told her she had been fired. Normally that means lawsuit. But the company was firing before she was pregnant. So she decided personally not to enter a lawsuit.

In your case there is nothing legal you can do. I don't think.

So what she might consider doing is running something through her home at day. Sell children books, Mary Kay, run a daycare, or something like that just to keep some money flowing until she's back on her feet.

Taking two jobs suck. But you can probably find a night job that will support your expenses.

Ask for help. You'll be surprised at how family can kick in if you suck up your pride.

#5 PhiSlammaJamma, May 29, 2003
    Last edited: May 29, 2003
  6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Sell insurance.

7. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

Thanks guys, yea life is getting tough.

Well I don't mind moving back to parents house, my mom just got a divorce with pops (papers finalized today) and she's pretty beat right now and she is looking forward to us to moving in with her.

We live in Harris county...

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what kind of work does your wife do?? is she planning on working after the baby is born?? do you have good childcare?? any family who could help out with childcare??

9. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

My wife does imports/customs brokerage...

She is planning on going to school for nursing in January... We had already have planned for her to quit once the baby comes so she can stay home...

10. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

Oh but this wasn't planned... We need her income to make it at least till July...

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It's probably better that you're moving back home for the time being. This way, after your wife's nursing your child for 3 months or so, she'll have your mother's help. Not to mention, when she's ready to go back to work, your mom will be able to look after the baby.

As far as getting another job, it would be best to just try to save money right now since you're moving home. Another job will cause you stress. I suppose it can be done, but not recommended.

12. MadMax

if this is too personal...please stop me...

how much more do you need each month?

13. super_mario

super_mario Member

I think that you have to had worked for 6 months before you are eligible for unemployment.

14. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

Well, again, I just need to make it till the end of July... (Lights, Cable, Water, Gas bills add up) all that will be gone once we are gone top parents house...

This came out of no where and screwed up everything...

15. MadMax

so you really just have the months of june and july where bills are a concern, right?? how much do you think you'll be short?

thank God you have parents like that. that's fantastic.

16. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

Well all of my check goes to bills...

Well need about $50 a week for groceries and for gas (my checks go str8 to bills) so that'll be about $400. Not much to you probably but $50 bucks a week can go a long way for us.

17. MadMax

$400 is a lot of money. It took me a while to get my practice going...we lived on about $30K when my son was born. it was not easy, particularly with student debt and the like.

do you belong to a church?? not a loaded question...i'm being serious...i know my church has helped out its members when times were tough...do you have a church you belong to who might help??? you might even suggest you would pay it back to them.

what about a low interest credit card?? do you have one?

18. coma

coma Contributing Member

Hectik,

Do you have anything of value that you might be able to sell/pawn? While $400 is a lot of money, a few odd jobs here and there might be able to help you out. What do you do for a living?

Times are tough my young friend, for all of us. Hang in there.

19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Max,
    I usually feel your advice is sound but I have to disagree about using a credit card if at all possible. Getting into debt doesnt make it any easier.

20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Hectik,

The next couple of years are going to be tough. Recognize that. Don't let your frustrations hurt your relationship. Realize that your family is everthing.

Congrats on your baby. I know it's stressing you today, but in time, you son or daughter will be the most important thing in your life.

Good luck. Sounds like you've got a great family.