1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Wi-Fi] Ugh. Please put your 2.4ghz on Channels 1,6 or 11

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

[​IMG]

Don't be my neighbor. I don't know what sort of NASA satellite he is using but goodness, it's an insanely strong signal on channel 4. Mine's the one on channel 1. He is jacking things up for 5+ networks..

Channels 1, 6, and 11, however, are far enough from each other on the 2.4GHz band that they have sufficient space between their channel centers and do not overlap. While choosing channels 1, 6, or 11 will mean you have to share the channels with other networks (co-channel interference), it's a much better choice than dealing with adjacent-channel interference that occurs with all the other channels.

[​IMG]

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Channel 4???

Deckard, Aware, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

On a serious note; i'll be checking which channel i'm using. lol

Deckard, Surfguy, CCity Zero and 4 others like this.
  4. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

How do you do that with google WI-FI?

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Does yours start on one or is it centered -- same for your neighbor is he 'so far gone'?

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

It's centered on channel 1. He is centered on 4.
    Each channel is 20 mhz wide but the channel right next to is 5 mhz over...and thus the overlap. So channel 1 and 2 overlaps by 75%!

If you had 2-3 networks on channel 1, then the devices take turn talking. Like polite people at a dinner table.
    If you are on channel 1 and your neighbor is on 2, it's like trying to talk over each other at the same dinner table. It's bad.

This video explains it pretty well.

KingCheetah likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So you have a bunch of nice polite neighbors and one Trumper.

Surfguy and Sajan like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I had to switch to 5ghz to stream upstairs and downstairs. Too much interference.

My bro-in-law uses Powerline for streaming. A lot less interference but I forgot how he go around weirdness in the living room when anyone used the microwave.

I'm guessing your neighbor using a mesh? Never used it...

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

what the hell is goings on? what am i looking at?

AWIN, Deckard, ryan_98 and 3 others like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

My knobs also go to 11

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah I don't know much jack **** about this stuff but I did put mine on 11 and reduced my wifi power for when I turn it on based off of a recommendation from a video I watched, but most of the time I have my wifi off and have all of my devices connected with wires.

12. Aware

Aware Member

hell yea **** that guy!

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No clue what this means

I like lamp

STR8Thugg, Remix, Ubiquitin and 3 others like this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, my neighbors are a mess too... I run 1/6/11 and same SSID name - so no overlap and I spread them away from my neighbors houses depending what they're running (they're all over though 2/3/4/7/8/9 hahaha, like every channel... But definitely not as wild as your neighbor's setup). Then on my 5g APs I just make sure they're not on any of the neighbors channels (there's 3 again - same ssid across 5g but different from 2.4G SSID and all different channels). I try to be courteous to my neighbors and reuse a 5g channel if I know I'm out of their range at that AP.

Anyway devices switch np and I set these up way before mesh etc. I'm thinking I'll eventually try to help my neighborhood out since I know their devices are definitely not maxing out on wireless access, but I'm not sure when it'll happen. I've currently got a long list of work/projects and am working on pfsense setup too (it's not hard for pfsense but changing up a lot of stuff).

I guess I meant - with the amount of complaints I see about an isp on my Facebook neighborhood group - it's clear a little help might help them out. Ie, the isps aren't helping anyone and a lot are getting nowhere near what they're paying for.

15. Buck Turgidson

Well sure, run 220...221...whatever it takes.

gifford1967 and CCity Zero like this.
  16. SemisolidSnake

Good advice. Also make sure you're using 5.0 GHz if your device supports it. 5.0 GHz loses some range to 2.4 GHz, so it may not always be an option. The speed gains, however, are massive. Make sure you're not leaving that on the table. And it's less congested. Far less. It's absolutely absurd how congested the 2.4 GHz band is. Ever wonder why your Bluetooth devices have connectivity issues (Apple, aside)? Bluetooth also runs on the 2.4 GHz band, so one of the (many) reasons is that it's getting mixed up in all of that. Many of your smart home devices run on the 2.4 GHz band.

What if your laptop is a few years old and doesn't have the ability to connect to 5.0 GHz? It's very simple to swap out the wifi/bluetooth adapter in it to a better one. I've done it multiple times. Costs a few bucks and a few minutes to do it, and the gains are totally worth it. Just use an Intel adapter. They're rock solid. If you want to discuss doing that, we can talk about it more in here. Finding the correct part for your system often takes more time than the actual swap.

Sajan likes this.
  17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

“Well, it’s one more isn’t it? It’s not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be internet-ing at ten...Where can you go from there? Where?”

"This one goes to eleven."

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson, Sajan and CCity Zero like this.
  18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Agreed about the 5ghz. Most people should be exclusively using 5 @ home.

I have been running 5ghz only for my main devices for years. No issues!

this 2.4ghz is for some legacy devices like printers/treadmill.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  19. AWIN

AWIN Member

Not sure either but I fapped nonetheless, I am disappoint in you. Try harder please Jontro.

Sajan, Jontro and TWS1986 like this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member