1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why you should be optimistic for your 2009-2010 Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djohn2oo8, Aug 17, 2009.

1. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

Yao, gone. Artest, gone, and good riddance. Tracy? who knows, but honestly I think that he will be ready to play by training camp. That still leaves a core of Brooks, Lowry, Ariza, Landry, Scola, Taylor, Budinger, and Andersen. Not too shabby. I can guarantee you this: THIS TEAM IS NOT LOTTERY BOUND! These guys are way too scrappy to tank games, and people forget that teamwork, not talent, wins you games. That's why Kobe couldn't win without Gasol, after Shaq left. Here's what each player can bring to the team this season:

Brooks: Had his coming out party in the playoffs, but now is his time to shine. The way that he can develop his game, is to not be afraid to take shots, and drive to the lane with certainty that he can't be stopped. He is definitely one of the quickest players in the league, so expect him to push the ball up the floor more.

Lowry: With a full season with this team, he will develop as well, he is excellent at drawing fouls, and that will help tremendously with Yao being out, in terms of missing his free throws.

Ariza: No Kobe, no problem. Ariza makes this team that much more athletic, and he can develop into a star here, because he has to be one of the main guys. His defense is superb, and with his long arms, he can get alot of steals, just like lowry can get steals as well. His 3 point shooting seems to be much improved, and with the uptempo style the Rockets plan on playing, he should thrive in Adelman's system.

Landry: Landry has to contribute alot this season, and I believe that he can do that because he has developed an outside shot.

Scola: He came up big in the playoffs, especially in the Laker series. He is going to be the main guy in the post now, so now he can average 20/10

Taylor: I'm most excited about Taylor because we didn't get to see him really be effective in Summer League, but his hamstring was hampered the whole time, so he will be a Von Wafer replacement, and he can score in bunches.

Budinger: Has a sweet stroke, and when is on, HE IS ON. He is pretty athletic as well, as shown in college and in summer league, so he will have an impact as well.

Andersen: He has deadly range from 3 point territory. He reminds me of Gasol a bit, because he is a finesse player, and not really a banger down low. Scouts have called him a poor man's Mehmet Okur.

And remember that this is basically the same team that gave LA so many problems without Yao. Minus Artest, who had his share of misses, and Von Wafer who got shut down by Vujacic, there is no reason to think that this team will miss the playoffs. Add to those players a healthy, motivated McGrady, disrespect by the Media of not even getting 1 nationally televised game, this team can and will make some noise. And remember, Morey still has something up his sleeve

2. sbyang

sbyang Member

My worst case scenario for next year is that the team scratches and claws its way to 45 wins and loses a 1st round sweep. Not only would this hurt our chances of adding a blue chip youngster, it would inflate the value of our free agents in FA.

There's not many years where fans will give a team a mulligan for missing the playoffs, next year is one of those years.

3. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

But they have to prove that they can win without Yao for a whole season in order to attract a top free agent.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This thread reminds me very much of groundhog day.

5. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

LOL...my very first thought, "didn't I just read this someplace?

(no offense to the op)

6. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

It will keep coming back until done right. :D The team will compete. :)

7. Rambo

Rambo Member

This is new and exciting information.

8. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

a welll disguised playoff vs. tank thread. well done sir.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You've got to be more optimistic. Do you see your glass half empty? Try to imagine it half full.

10. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Jackpot! We have a winner. :)

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Talent doesn't win games, and that's why Bryant couldn't win without Gasol? :confused:

12. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Very good call.

13. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

In those years, Bryant tried to do too much

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If he did less, the team would have been destroyed.

15. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

45 wins is my best scenario.

16. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

And he won 3 titles with Shaq, and had him shipped out. My point is that teamwork beats talent. Had the Rockets had at least another big in the Lakers/Rockets series, they would have won due to teamwork/moving the ball. Of course, if the league hadn't kissed kobe's ass when he clearly shoved and kicked battier, would be a different result

17. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Even without a significant roster move, I agree, this team will make the playoffs. And they will make some noise in the playoffs. Book it.

18. Knight

Knight Member

Hmm one way of getting better consensus may be to ask the tank question in a different way:

Which do you prefer to see this upcoming season at this point in time given the data we have today (i.e. not if certain things happen then x otherwise y):

1) Huge minutes to Scola, Brooks and Battier (and McGrady when he gets back), and run a short rotation. Eek out every possible and try to scrape into the 8th playoff spot, at the expense of minutes to non-established players like Budinger, Dorsey and Taylor.

2) Distribution of minutes based on NBA ability and experience. May mean we end up with pick 11-13 in draft, and no playoffs.

3) Higher than otherwise normal minutes for developing non-established players such as Budinger, Dorsey and Taylor. Devise game plan to develop player's weaknesses (e.g. run plays to emphasise AB's passing and not scoring game). Comes at the expense of wins but will increase chance of high draft pick.

4) Tell players and coaches to delibrately lose all 82 games thereby securing best chance at :mad:

For me, I am an option 3 person :)
    Of course that's based on current data. Things can change... (e.g. if we take option 3 and are in reasonable distance to the top 8 by the all star game, then I say we have already uncovered some gems and should shorten the rotation aiming for a playoff spot).

19. joesr

joesr Member

Mix of 1 and 3.

Although I dont see AB as a passer. let him play his natural game and let Lowry do the play making.

1 and 3 are complete opposites in terms of minutes, I wanted it balance. Get the rookies some times, more then that of what AB and Landry got but not to go overboard with it. Play them as though they were lottery picks.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I also remember when Doug Collins praised Derek Fisher after his cheap shot to Luis Scola.

The Lakers are a dirty team, but dirty teams do end up winning.