1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why YF likes Yao to be traded, Huston fan not

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Himalayas, Mar 26, 2005.

1. BornRocketRed

BornRocketRed Member

true. he/she should have done a proper business-school type survey and analysis (or at least one deserving of an average grade of undergraduate business program). at least, it seems that's the context on which the thread was based--too little basketball knowledge

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't know what's better...this post, or the very serious response to it! :) brililant!

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Yeah, they kinda make me want to barf in your mouth, too.

;)

4. langal

langal Contributing Member

Most reasonable YOF's do like the Rockets. I am one myself and would probably continue rooting for the Rockets even if Yao left. They probably wouldn't be my favorite team anymore but I would still watch the games (they probably woundn't be on as much if Yao left though) and root for them.

Nothing wrong with liking a team because you're favorite player went there. Unless the rest of the team is filled with complete jerks (ie. Jailblazers?) it is difficult to refrain from rooting for them.

I don't think Yao will leave. There is "talk" about him coming to LA (I live in LA) but it's probably not going to happen. The Lakers do have a tradition of getting great centers but I think Yao and the Rockets have had a very good relationship with a lot of respect shown on both sides. The Rockets look pretty set in the long-term with 2 young stars, and in the short-term they appear only a piece or two from winning it all.

Good thing Yao isn't like Shaq personality-wise. A guy like Shaq does care about his stats (I think sometimes to the detriment of the team), will complain if he feels like he's not getting enough shots, and has threatened to ease off on the defensive end if he's not getting the ball enough.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Never heard of McGrady?

6. langal

no. is he any good? does he pass the ball to Yao?

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'm sure ABC thinks he's one of the top talents in the NBA thus justifying the reason the Rocks should be on national tv.

8. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

Posting in the worst thread ever in clutchfans.net history.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

damn, does this sound like something yetti would say?

10. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Yao legs are NOT the issue. First of all, Yao will never be a leaper, and nor would you want someone his side to be such as it's almost a guarantee he'd get injured.

His issue is above the waist. Poor endurance and upper body strenght. If you suggested that he needed to take a summer off and do weight training, I might actually think you had a valid suggestion - but working on his legs? What on earth are you talking about!?!?

11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

His upper body HAS gotten bigger. If he was to get bigger above his waist, do you actually think that his lower legs would be able to carry around that EXTRA muscle? Huh? Thus, upper body strenght is not going to address his lower leg quickness and explosiveness. His legs is what carries that weight around. Not his upper body.

Now, total body weight training will help him overall. Yes... But my suggestion that he work on his lower body wasn't at the exclusion of his upper body. It was to add some more quickness to his lateral movement and explosiveness. So, that's "what on earth I am talking about."

And enough with the extremes...no one said anything about "leaper." I said that he should work on his lower body to improve his quickness and explosiveness. That has nothing to do with becoming a leaper like Jordan! It would help him jump quicker, better stamina (because his legs can carry more for longer periods), and better lateral movement. That's all I was suggesting. And I'm sure that Falsone knows what to do next year. And with more time will address these issues.

#111 DavidS, Mar 28, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  12. NewYorker

I don't know about you, but quickness and explosiveness isn't something you develop in a weight room.

Yao get pushed around in the blocks - that's not his legs, it's his upper body and stomach muscles. Because of his height, he has to be extra strong since shorter players will have leverage on him (which is everyone).

Anyway, I'm tired of this argument.

13. DavidS

Quickness and explosiveness is developed by weight training (leg lifts, squats, and lunges). But there are other exercises that develop the legs like knee lifts, extended leg lifts, and side to side lunges (like a speed skater, except on slippery surface, with floor guides). This helps flexibility and balance (concentration on outside quads and a little bit towards the oblique muscles).

Now regarding this upper body and stomach muscles. Absolutely, those should be strengthened. But think about this. Lets say that he IS stronger in his back and stomach muscles. Then, when he's in the post and someone is pushing on his back...he pushes with his back muscles....Now, think about how body mechanics work. If his legs are slow, no lateral movement, or lacks food speed. How do you think his stronger upperbody and/or stomach/back muscles will help him catch himself if he gets off balance? He needs his legs to be quicker and stronger so that if someone pushes on him his *stronger* stomach muscles don't work against him.

A lot of times we've seen Yao get the "chair pulled" from under-him. He's strong enough to push back...but to slow to move his legs to catch himself from falling. That's a lack of foot speed and leg strength. Those tree trunks are just too heavy and slow for him to move around. And his legs are a direct correlation to that ability to move and catch himself. He has very bad balance. Upper (arms/shoulders/chest) body strength can only do so much. Sooner or later he has to address his leg speed/quickness. But I do agree with the stomach/back muscles. Those are key to balance but more mid-body than upper body.

#113 DavidS, Mar 29, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  14. langal

Yao AND Tmac are the main reasons the Rox are on tv so much. Both are perennial all-stars (one of the arguably deservedly so). I was just saying that if Yao were to leave the Rox - they wouldn't be the same draw they are now. There are all these YOF's (like me) who have only recently taken a vested interest in the Rockets. If Yao were to play for GSW - a lot of the YOF's would express more interest in them and their interest in the Rox would dwindle a bit. While I'm sure that would please a lot of the "real" Rocket fans, they wouldn't be the same draw.

15. NewYorker

He gets chair pulled because he's pushing with his legs and not pushing with his torso (leveraging his upper body against his legs instead, keeping his legs grounded).

I really don't think his legs are a problem.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Please, can mod correct the misspelling of Houston in the thread title if the thread starter couldn't do it (well at least he himself can do something in the post)?

It makes me cringe every time I see it.

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

18. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I like your post. I was hoping someone knowledgable about physical deveopment would sign on this discussion. My question is, 'Can the lack of quickness and explosiveness really be corrected by exercise or is it a physical trait you are born with?'. Compare Yao and Tmac physically. Tmac's legs are sticks with fist size wad of fast twitch muscles at the top of his calves. Yao's leg are 'tree trunk' like, buy don't seem to have the same bunch of fast twitch in the calf. Can this be affected through exercise? Please discuss.

19. Himalayas

Himalayas Contributing Member

Sorry, I can no longer edit the post!

20. DavidS

Read again what I said above...Yes, what you said does occur. But you are just describing the symptom, not the problem (or solution). What you suggest will not help. Lets say that he *was* stronger up top. What good would it do whether he was pushing with his upper body? His legs would not be quick enough to catch himself either way. He's still leaning no matter what. And because he's sooo top heavy (yes, he is because of his height) he's always going to have to deal with balance. And the only way you can address balance is to strengthen the part that is having trouble catching itself. That's the lower body. Not the upper body.

His legs being grounded is not the issue. His legs ARE grouneded now! TOO GROUNED! As in, he's slow to react and slow to move them! Thus, even if his upper-body (or torso; like you said) was strengthened...his legs would still not be fast enough to catch himself. Whether he pushes with his back or legs is besides the issue. He'll still snap like a jack-knife in either condition.

Note: I not sure why you keep saying upper body... You are really taking about the mid-body (stomach and back; torso) not his upper body (shoulders/chest/arms). At least admit that! The stomach and back does have a lot to do with balance and quickness. Yes, that's very imortant. But stop saying upper-body. That's not the issue.

I also want to point out that we are taking about two different mobility issues. One is Yao's ability to leverage against his defenders (push back in the post - stomach/back/quads/hams/cavs - and then catch himself). And Two, Yao's ability to move without someone pushing on him; i.e. lateral movement and quickness (quads/hams/cavs and some mid-body). That's another issue. And both of those have a lot to do with lower body quickness/movement. Not as much upper-body.

Upper-body addresses other issues like rebounding, fronting other players, holding off people, blocking out, holding the ball over others, powering the ball up...etc....more front-facing issues.

#120 DavidS, Mar 29, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2005