1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why wouldn't we trade Asik to....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slickricky, Jun 21, 2014.

1. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

Lets get this thread back on the main trade nvm Parsons (everyones golden boy)

would you guys trade Asik for Afflalo?

2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I thought you said we would be getting the 10th pick? That's not going to happen.

3. slickricky

I agree with this logic

4. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I say stick to the plan. Sign melo or lebron and bring on parsons for 7mill.

Use the MLE to get someone decent

5. slickricky

the whole idea behind the 10th pick was Chicago was discussing sending a pick in the mid teens to Orlando for Afflalo so if we were able to get the 10th it should be able to land us Afflalo.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

A couple of points.

1) Afflalo is a 6'5" shooting guard. He'd have a tough time trying to defend the bigger SFs in the league.

2) Even as a SG Afflalo isn't a good defender.

Orlando allows 5.1 fewer points per every 100 possessions when Afflalo is off the floor (vs when he's on the floor).

When Afflalo plays SG his opponent has an eFG% of 56.3. By comparison, when Harden plays SG he allows his opponents a eFG% of 47.8%.

When Afflalo plays SF his opponent has an eFG% of 53.2. When Harden plays SF he allows his opponent an eFG% of 42.5%.

If you look at DRPM (Carl Herrerra's favorite stat), Afflalo is the #406th best defender in the league. That's 8 spots lower than Harden.

There's also reasons that others have already identified...you don't let Parson's go for nothing in return and you couldn't get the #10 pick for Asik.

7. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

You need to inform yourself. The only way any player is coming is through sign and trade. Trading Asik, Lin, Jones, DMo or anyone else on draft night is not happening, because creating Cap Room to sign a player outright is going to hinder the amount we can give them by a significant amount.

Asik isn't worth a top 10 pick, and Noel isn't a PF.

In order to use the MLE we must remain over the cap, all trades on draft night are a moot point, I.E. Not Happening.

8. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

Most likely we will not be able to bring in Melo/LBJ and be able to use the MLE (unless we acquire them in a S&T). If you use your cap space, you will not be able to then use the MLE/BAE afterwards. So the best case scenario is to trade for Melo/LBJ for Lin + Asik + Picks then be able to use the MLE on someone like Hawes or PJ Tucker to fill either of our needs at backup big/defensive wing. That being said, NY/Mia will prob demand other players in any S&T.

Back on topic though, I think having Afflalo instead of Asik would be a net plus for the team. Afflalo is a solid defender and can shoot. He would fill a much larger need at our wing positions than Asik does as the backup center IMO. We can sign a number of vet minimum FA centers that can give us a solid 10-15 mins of playing time when Howard is not in the game, and Afflalo lets us cut down Harden/Parsons minutes as well.

9. slickricky

Melo and Lebron have both said they would take less money if it meant a better core and more shots at rings so i suggest you inform yourself

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Asik isn't worth a top ten pick.

11. slickricky

To say James Harden plays better defense then Aaron Afflalo is funny... nice numbers but my eyes tell me otherwise. You really think Tibbs would want Afflalo if he didn't play defense. What you are going to tell me Tibbs isn't the one its the GM.... Come on man!

12. slickricky

maybe you are correct but to me if you need a center... you really cant go wrong with Asik! He is a top 5 center in my eyes

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

I really love Arron Afflalo. If we get Carmelo, honestly I would prefer a solid 3 and D guy over Parsons, and Afflalo fits that pretty well. Asik will NOT net us the number 10 pick, unfortunately.

What it has seemed that our current plan has been to sign a Max FA and then sign Parsons to a longer contract to get him on our team for several years. If we were planning on replacing Parsons, then we would either want to keep him for one more year for cheap (you won't find a better bench player than him for less than 1 mil) or we would include him as part of the S&T deal for whatever player we were replacing him with.

But let's just say he did want to target Afflalo. We would run into problems because of his 7.5m contract. If we get Carmelo (or LBJ) then we would be pretty much capped out. At that point though, if we had declined the option on Parsons, we would still be able to give him a larger contract because we own his bird rights.

I might be wrong about this, but assuming that we were at or over the cap, I don't think that we would be able to trade for a player under contract (Afflalo) that would push us over the cap farther? And if we traded for Afflalo before signing Melo or LBJ, his contract would prevent us from offering a max to one of them

15. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

yes, you are right. I believe he was posing this scenario assuming that we struck out on LBJ/Melo

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

We need to decline Parsons's contract before we could sign LBJ or Melo. If we think we have a legitimate shot at them, we decline Parsons' contract, try to sign them, and then resign Parsons using his bird rights.

If we decline his option and then Melo/LBJ don't sign here, we would either need to let him walk for nothing, or sign him to his big deal which would then would make it almost impossible to sign another max FA even next offseason.

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

Would I trade Asik for Afflalo? Yes- in a heartbeat.

Orlando wouldn't do that trade.

And because we are trying to get a bigger contract than Afflalo's, it makes for very tricky cap considerations. Because of that, trading for Afflalo would be almost impossible for us unless we decided not to get a third star and instead pursued depth and good role players.

18. rocketseagles07

If you think parsons is getting anything under 10 mil you're crazy

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

You can go wrong by overvaluing someone and giving up too much. No GM in their right mind would give up the 10th pick especially in this draft for Asik. He is worth a lot less, and part of the reason also has to do with that 15 million he will still have to get paid for the year regardless of what his cap hit is.

20. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I was talking about the scenario in which they would opt in to their current deals (which is obviously unlikely), but in that case, we would probably pick up Parson's option, go after another max FA next year, then resign Parsons to get over the cap.