1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why would Minnesota trade Kevin Love for Parsons, Lin, and a late first round pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jun 29, 2014.

1. pass_to_Hakeem

Parsons is also cheaper!!

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Parsons and Thompson should have near equal value.

Only thing Thompson has a edge over him in value is that he's locked up on his rookie contract next year and will be a restricted free agent in 2015-16.

Parsons on the other hand will either have to be locked up on a new expensive deal right now or become a unrestricted free agent in 2015-16.

Really though, Parsons is bigger, more efficient, better rebounder, better passer and (little fun fact, although small sample size) has outperformed Thompson in the post season.

I see no reason why Minny would be willing to trade Love for Thompson but no Parsons.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of us will be underwhelmed at what the Wolves get in whatever deal for Love they swing.

Remember the Magic's "haul" with Dwight Howard, who was essentially in the exact same situation?

Afflalo and a bunch of picks.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Parsons plays D??????

Since when?

And if you don't see how well Love and Howard would play together, you are blind, blind, blind.

By the way, thanks for calling me Jesus.

5. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

Love averaged 26 pts 14 reb 4 ast last year and had like a 26 PER.... If you think Parsons is even remotely as good as Love you need to pass me whatever you are smoking lol... and obviouslu Parsons is more athletic lol he is a wing player not a big...so basically 10 more points a game double the rebounds, shoots just as well. I would trade Jones+Parsons+Picks every day and twice on Sundays for Love and even if we have to take back some salary like brewer and Martin, we should do it.

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

It's not a question of who can offer more, it's a question of where Love wants to go.

If he tells GSW, I won't resign with you guys, they will instantly stop trying to make a trade happen.

Superstar players hold organizations by the balls and can demand to go anywhere they want, whether FA or not.

7. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

LMFAO Parsons is young by 1 and a half month :confused:

8. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

What?...do you understand that thompson wants a max deal?..lol he wants to be paid like a superstar...this makes parsons more valuable...

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

When trying to be persuasive, you will pull out all the stops. Even the most petty '1 and a half month younger' stop.

I'm surprised he didn't mention the hit the Les would take from in game concession sales. If Parsons goes, so do the women. So say goodbye to all women's rockets gear sales.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Says who? We don't know that.

Here's all we've heard from anyone who even claims to have sources:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source close to <a href="https://twitter.com/kevinlove">@kevinlove</a> says talk of L.A. as preferred landing spot was always way overblown. Only lived there 1 year. Wants to win.</p>&mdash; Chris Sheridan (@sheridanhoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/statuses/479719771944939520">June 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

That's the diff between other teams and the Rockets. Morey does not give a flip saunders about guarantees. And Love is a Californian who wants to play at home (LA), so SF is close enough that he would not nix that trade.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Parsons and Love are both 25
    Love is the best PF in the NBA and is an elite rebounder
    Love is absolutely the best offensive front court mate for Howard.

13. feanor512

feanor512 New Member

Would this work under the CBA?

Somehow move Lin without taking any salary back.
    Sign Melo to 16 million/yr.
    Go over the cap to re-sign Parsons.
    Trade him, Jones, our 2015 1st, and NO's 2015 first for Love.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lets say the Wolves want to make a big run at some free agents in the 2015-16 free agency.

They have Rubio and Shved expiring who they will want to re-sign. They have Pekovic, Brewer, Rookies contracts locked in. They will have enough to make a max offer to whoever they want, and have Thompson restricted, with his bird rights.

So they could spend 20 million in cap, and then re-sign Thompson for max as well. They can't do that with Parsons, they would have him locked in on a 10+ million contract, cutting in to their cap space to spend, possibly being costing them the chance to sign a max player.

Just saying, Thompson on a rookie contract for a year and him being restricted is a plus.

15. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Parsons is as good as Thompson. Lee is negative value (or no value at best). So Barnes is the only upgrade, and according to the reports, GS wasn't wanting to include any picks if they sent Thompson. In face, they were wanting to get one back.

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Between Melo and LOVE....i gotta go with LOVE. It's hard to find a great PF and Center in this league. Another reason is that this team need a great PF desperately.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Stop trolling please.

18. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

I have a feeling if the Rockets were to include Parsons in a deal for Love, Parsons wouldn't be going to the T-Wolves. I think it is more likely the Rockets sign-and-trade Parsons to a third (or fourth or fifth) team, get a high first or other assets for him that Minny would like, and then trade those assets with Jones, Capela, multiple firsts, etc to Minny. I also foresee the Rockets doing this as a 4 team trade with the separate Lin and Asik trades being included so as to not lose the MLE.

19. errpac

errpac Member

I would love to have Kevin love on the roster but I think it's a very big risk to take. I have a feeling love is not extremely fond of Houston and he doesn't seem to have any interest playing here. Unless we get close to the finals like wcf I have a feeling if we had him we would lose him in Fa like how lakers lost d12.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I like how you think. Although losing parsons really sucks.