1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why would Minnesota trade Kevin Love for Parsons, Lin, and a late first round pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Raven

Raven Member

KL will have the final say in where he's traded. It's not enough that another team can beat Morey's offer unless Love is willing to re up with them.

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

According to the T-Wolves media Klay has been part of the Warriors' offers for a while now... the hang-up is GSW's unwillingness to also include Barnes or their 2015 1st.

Lee, much like Lin, is a neutral asset at best. The vast majority of Warriors fans and media would be happy to get rid of him. Saunders might be prefer him to Lin, because he'd fill a position of need, I suppose. Of course, Saunders also is one of the worst GMs out there, so there might not be much logic behind whatever the T-Wolves decide to do.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Minny had Morey's offer on the table the whole time......GS was being used as a feeble attempt to gain any kind of leverage and were never going to give them what they wanted. Daryl has waited them out and now it's time to pay the piper. This is how it's done.

#43 Plowman, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  4. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

I would assume the Minny wants someone to also take on Kevin Martins last 3 years and GSW prob wants to part of that, don't understand why if Klay is apart of the trade. I guess he's not and that could be the hold up to allow Houston's offer more attractive by the day. The longer it holds up...the better our chances. I would GLADLY take K-Marts contract and bring his no defense @ss off the bench for INSTACT offense if Love was the Price. No question...6 mil, 7 and 7 mil....done

5. maczmina

maczmina Member

With Parsons, two 1st rounds and Jones i think is a better package to Wolves, but it is a price we are willing to pay?

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Yeah but we have no real indication about whether or not Love would want to be in Houston long-term. So i guess even if we had the assets to temp Minny, Love would need to buy in.

7. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

I think it's fine to give up Parsons and Jones or D-MO but Morey needs to be careful not give up too much of the bench. As we've seen with Miami, having 3 star players won't win a championship w/o a good supporting cast of players. With Love at the 4 the Rockets can obviously afford to give up either Jones or D-Mo but not both. They certainly can't afford to give up all three players plus picks unless they're getting some quality bench player in return or clearing enough cap space to sign some quality FA's.

If the Rockets can clear enough cap space to sign someone like Tucker or Ariza, both of whom can defend on the perimeter, then the Rockets are in business; otherwise they'll be on the short end of the stick.

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Would gladly do this. Either player could serve as valuable bench options that the Rockets have lacked.

9. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Klay Thompson is not a bad defender. The Warriors were 3rd in DefRtg. Do you guys seriously think only Iggy, Bogut and Green are responsible for that? We know Curry and Lee are bad defenders so Thompson needs to get some credit for holding CP3 under 10 ast and 20pts in the playoffs.

Added Jackson: “If I’m Golden State, I don’t put him in the deal. If I’m Minnesota, I say he’s gotta be in the deal.”

Minny doesn't plan on tanking if they trade Love. They see Lee (18 and 9) and Thompson(18pts and 3P shooting) as being able to replace Love's production. They'd also like to dump a bad contract or two if they could, but they want Thompson and GSW are split on giving him up.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don' know about that. I've seen reports that GSW does not want to include Thompson and that is the major snag. Reports have been that both Jerry West and Steve Kerr are opposed to trading Klay Thompson.

The Big issue with Lee is his that his contract is 15 million for the next two years. Lee at 31 years old and 15 million a season is probably not the ideal fit for a team looking to rebuild.

11. Remii

Remii Member

I heard the T-Wolves media has that wrong.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

As Clutch says, I think Minny's haul will be more than that. Think 3 way or maybe even 4.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

minny wants out of k.mart contract im sure morey is working on something to get another team that is willing to take him that needs a shooting guard. Its a decent contract for a non playoff team that needs a starter. A Pelicans expiring contract could come into play there or another teams expiring.

dumping lin to a team with cap space for a second rounder could also be used in the trade. Morey will at least get a 2nd for him believe it or not, its plenty of teams that would take a 1 yr risk on him as a starting PG and contending teams who can use him off the bench.

Starting teams
    lakers
    bucks
    mavs
    raptors - if lowry leaves
    kings - if I. thomas leaves

14. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

I think Love is a better fit for the Rockets than Anthony but why give up so much when they could sign Anthony (if trade Lin) and re-sign Parsons without giving up Jones, D-Mo, or any future picks?

15. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Curious to know what Minny thinks of Eric Gordon. I know NO has been trying to deal him. He's a really good player when he's healthy. Maybe a change of scenery? NO might take on Kevin Martins contract.

Something like:

Minny: Eric Gordon, T Jones, DMo, Capela, Caanan, 2015 1st rd pick from NO (Asik trade), 2015 1st round pick from Rockets

NO: Kevin Martin and Lin

HOU: Love and Brewer

16. crash5179

If i'm the Rockets, I gladly take KMart back at 6 million a year in a package that includes KLove. We are trying to win now so adding KMart and KLove to the Rockets would be a windfall IMO. KMart averaged 16 points a game as a back up at OKC and I'm sure he could do that here while limiting Hardens minutes.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Brewer would be a starter without Parsons. In your scenario starting lineup would be:

Howard
    Love
    Brewer
    Harden
    Beverley

Problem will be quality bench depth, especially at 4/5. Getting someone like Gorgui Dieng as part of trade would be of immediate help to the team, unlike a Capela.

18. crash5179

Kevin Love is arguably the best PF in the league. One of the best 3pt shooter and generally gets his points out on the floor. He is only 25 so you could have him, Harden (24 years old) and Dwight (who is only 28) for a very long time.

19. htown7829

htown7829 Member

I have a question. How can we trade Parsons is he's technically a free agent now? I know this would be a sign and trade with Minnesota. Wouldn't we have to sign parsons first? Would we have to wait for someone else to sign him to an offer sheet, match that sheet, then trade him? I guess what I'm trying to say is, couldn't parsons decide he don't wanna play there and nix the whole thing? I'd think he would do that if he could. Any clarification on how the restricted free agency thing works when trades are involved would be great?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A dream scenario has Harden, Dwight, Love, and Parsons all locked up long term. Add in Bev an that's a team that will contend for a LONG time, could be a 5+ year window which is almost unheard of.