1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why we suck : Analytic Perspective

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HtownRock, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Except it's not. Again, look at the formula and don't respond again until you do.

2. Mr. Clutch

So now it has nothing to do with teammates but it has everything to do with age.

You're nothing if not contradictory

3. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

DWIGHT IS THE MOST OVERPAID AND OVERRATED PLAYER IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. PERIOD.

4. Mr. Clutch

Nah, Kobe is.

He's the highest paid player and has negative win shares.

Also, Carmelo and Joe Johnson get paid more than Dwight while posting lower win shares

5. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

lol dyslexic

I'm trying to erase as many irrelevant variable as possible so that we can make a fair comparison

I'm saying why is it that CP3's WS was better last year when Blake was not injured than this year. Comparing current CP3's WS to New Orleans CP3's WS is not doable because having one teammate missing is not the control variable, in this case and there are so many confounding variable, like CP'3 own ability as a player.

Do you even understand logic?

6. Mr. Clutch

Talking to you isn't doable. You simply don't understand the stat.

Multiple people in this thread have told you this.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good thread

1 person likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been saying we need to rebuild around Harden for a long time. This team has way too many scrubs.

I see Harden as your one star, but you need a real 2nd star, and another very strong 3rd wheel.

Then you can fill out your roster with a scorer like Beasley and role-players such as the Arizas, PB's, Dmo's, Capelas, Brewers, and so on.

I mean, if this was your team:

Harden
    Durant
    Hortford
    Beasley
    PB
    Capella
    Dmo
    Terry
    Ariza
    Brewer
    Montrel

You would have a very good team at both ends of the floor. That's a team that can be a contender if healthy. But you can't expect all these guys to fill those roles. Last year was a fluke.

9. Zergling

Zergling Member

If you look at win shares and divide it by salary for each player, let's just say it is UGLY for Dwight. Forget Lawson, TJones, or Smoove. Dwight is easily the LVP of this team.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This^^ It's clear he needs to go.

11. Mr. Clutch

Its not clear. Dwight is our second highest win shares (I'm pretending this is still an analytics thread) and he plays better in the playoffs.

Also, you can't just trade him for 2 all stars. All stars aren't just available to pick up whenever you want. Most likely he walks and we just get nothing.

Really, he's better as the #3 guy than as the #2 guy, but #3 guys aren't easy to find either.

12. Mr. Clutch

First of all, this team is built around Harden.

Secondly, good luck getting guys like Durant and Horford in one offseason. Like no one else is gonna try to get them

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I can't believe you guys are arguing over something already so obvious, lol. Mr Clutch your posts in this thread are basically meaningless they miss the entire point I'm guessing on purpose just to argue for arguments sake. It's pretty evident we have one superstar and a bunch of trash other than Beasley. I'm not sure what the six page thread is for.

14. Mr. Clutch

We have the same team as last year.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Same people do not always = Same team. If that was the case we would still be running Hakeem and Kenny Smith. Players can grow and decline gradually. They also can decline greatly over one offseason. Injuries and age can happen quickly.

16. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

yup we're on the same page..5 to 10 mill max and coming off the bench

17. Misa

Misa Member

How did we manage to win more last season??

18. Ranny

Ranny Member

Dude perhaps the stat you chose to prove your point is not exactly intended for that but i do agree that your thesis supports the fact that Harden is by far our best player, and is not even close, and the rest of the team is nowhere near his level, period. You are wasting your time with that guy, he is never ever going to concede, just let it go, he seems to take offense from anything that shows how important Harden is for the Rockets, just like others like him, fortunately they are a minority.

I have nothing against Dwight, i had high hopes for us this season like most of us here on this forum but unfortunately things did not pan out like we expected and everything went to $hit, that includes Dwight. I cannot understand this new narrative that if you like Harden it means you hate Dwight and viceversa, its ****ing stupid!! Grow up people!! Dwight is/was a great all star player, but things are not working out, he makes way too much money for what he brings for us, he wants a max contract, we are not giving him one, so be it.

Harden is our star, and arguably a top 3 star in the entire league, and think about this, he doesnt defend, he turns the ball over plenty, and sometimes he acts distracted on the court and yet he still is a top 3 talent on the league!! What would happen if he corrected or at least lowered the occurrence of these flaws? I have said it before, i believe his main problem is that he is immature, this season should be a learning experience for him, he should learn from this mess and grow, that along with some other all star player, a better team, and a better coach should get us back on track.

Pipe dream as it may be i have high hopes for our free agency and i do believe we could end up with some big prize.

1 person likes this.
  19. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

How much would you pay him and for how long?

20. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Say how much as a % of the cap. I don't have a good grasp on new cap salaries. Thanks.