1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why we suck : Analytic Perspective

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HtownRock, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Dwight's win shares/48 are marginally worse than last year, and because he's been healthier so he already has more total win shares.

And his plus minus is better than last year.

Do you want to do an analytical perspective or not? It seems like you only do when it fits your agenda

2. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

because it's infinitely more informative than your subjective gut feelings

are your 'feelings' telling you Howard is having a wonderful season? :)

3. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

Still didn't answer my question. If Harden is responsible for about - 4 wins this year compared to last year, and we won 56 games in 2014-2015, someone else other than Harden is not doing their part, isn't it DOF?

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

HtownRock,

I like the effort of this thread, and I appreciate reading something other than, "We suck because Harden no take care of ball" and "JB terrible no-good coach who loves Brew and hate DMo."

I think we "suck" for obvious reasons and due to issues that are much more complex. If we had taken care of the 4 spot years ago, I'd imagine things would be much different. Even if it were not an all-star, but say Marvin Williams or Brandon Bass, I'd imagine our spacing and offensive fluidity would be remarkably better. A power forward who could spread the floor and hit a pick-and-pop jumper could have done wonders if we solved it long,long ago.

SuperCoolBeas is a good start, but we're late to the party. TJ certainly didn't pan out like we had hoped for,DMo's future is up in the air, Montrezl is raw, Clint is a promising string-bean without offense and Smoov doesn't have the health to play how we need him to play. Damn the power forward spot for us.

I'll always be curious how the Harden/Howard combo would have played together WITHOUT threes and layups as our scoring mantra. What would something more traditional look like? That will boggle my mind with the "what-could-have-been" scenarios...:(

5. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I was curious about this thread, then came in and realized this guy was on ignore.

Left satisfied... nothing important was said.

Read: I HATE DWIGHT, and these stats support it.

Moved on.

1 person likes this.
  6. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

I think Harden/Howard combo would have been much better utilized, if Howard was more willing to set a pick and roll hard to the basket; my take is that it failed mostly because Howard keep insisted on his post up game, which is below league average in it's efficiency at this point...

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

That stat is glaring and while it's not the Be All End All stat it pretty much confirms what we already know. Harden has no help, we know that already.

8. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

Read : I LOVE DWIGHT, and I want to ignore facts to the contrary.

Moved on.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You are basically saying Harden needs help so then you agree with this thread.

10. Mr. Clutch

So this team will probably win about 41 games, 15 worse than last year.

4-5 or 33% of the difference is due to Harden according to YOUR stat.

Howard has already contributed to 1 more win according to your stat, so it really has nothing to do with him.

Most of the rest is probably attributable to the bench, our PFs and Ariza a bit. (Capela has made up for some of the decline in our other pfs)

But since you made the thread why don't you do some research on it?

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Pretty much, lol. This thread isn't even about Dwight, just hat Harden needs another all star with him.

12. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

It's just one of the examples I came up with to make a point. I can make the exact same argument using several different kinds of statistics. The pattern is there : we significantly lack talent, and thus rely way too much on one guy. That one guy - however good he may be - can't magically make a mediocre team into a championship contender. No other great player have done that, and so does Harden.

13. Mr. Clutch

So it was an agenda thread, not a serious analytics thread.

1 star.

1 person likes this.
  14. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

If other players produced exactly as they did last year, then we would still be 50+ win team. So, how is blaming Harden for this mess make sense?

Dwight was mostly sidelined and not in proper form due to injuries last year, so comparing his current stat to the last year's is an idiotic thing to do.

Dwight is a max player who's have a career low season across the board, including WS.

Take Dwight off this team, we barely suffer, and prob better offensively.

Take Harden off this team, we are basically 76ers or the Lakers.

Do some research before jacking off to Dwigt's photos

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Win shares is not a good stat for what you are trying to show here.

16. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

that's basically my evaluation of Dwight's performance this season, so spot on

17. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

It's the most understandable one to the general public. I could've used plus-minus, but that horse has been beaten to death.

18. caneks

caneks Rookie

I think you suck on analysis and on being a true fan.

This team would have better wins if take harden out for whole season because 1) this team will have much better defense. 2) this team will have much better ball movement which will make everyone involved on both ends. 3) players will focus more on win as a team rather than personal stats.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Doesnt matter if it is understandable, this is not how you use winshares.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

How is it that after repeatedly stating my views you still don't get it?

Dwight is playing bad this year, hence the reason I don't think he's worth the money and won't be extended. He's gone. I told you that before and you didn't think so, so you either lack common sense or have an agenda as Mr. Clutch pointed out.

Word of advice, lay back on the insults, I'm not Clutch and can't speak for him but unnecessarily throwing the XOF card around has gotten members into trouble. I think it was filtered during the Yao years for a bit too.