1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why we should trade Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StupidMoniker, Nov 21, 2007.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I think Yao is the most dominant center in the game today, and he will be for a number of years. Yao going one-on-one in the post against anybody in the league gives you a great shot at 2 points. On top of that, Yao is a good teammate and a marketing superstar. So what's the problem?

When it comes to crunch time, Yao is a liability. You could see it when we lost in the playoffs to Dallas, when we lost in the playoffs to Utah, and again tonight. Yao is a great weapon - if you can get him the ball. The problem comes when they deny Yao the ball by fronting. It takes him completely out of the offense. Then on the other end, it is too easy to create mismatches against Yao. Remember against the Mavs in the playoffs where Yao was trying to guard Stackhouse or Howard? Remember how badly Yao was destroyed by Boozer? The same happened again tonight. I'm sure Brandon Bass is a fine player, but a guy like that should not be your matchup concern playing Dallas, it should be Nowitzki.

I am sure Yao could fetch a very high price on the trade market, and I am equally certain that if a trade went down everyone would b**** and moan that we got ripped off. I am also pretty sure that taking that path will be more likely to result in a championship. Unless the Rockets can figure out some way to mask Yao's defensive matchup problems (run a zone maybe?) and overcome the fronting defense, these late game collapses are going to be the rule, not the exception.

2. okaylam

okaylam Contributing Member

3. mxiong17

mxiong17 Member

I agree, send Yao to Houston for Doc Rivers, and Hire Gundy as HC, Celtics Dynasty once again! :cool:

4. mxiong17

mxiong17 Member

Damn typo, I mean Boston.

5. RocoRocket

RocoRocket Member

Tracy for Kobe.....problem solved. :D

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Yao should ask for a trade! He deserves a better team!

7. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

A) Yao should not be guarding StackHouse or Howard anyways
    B) We built a 17-pt lead. Now would u make this thread if we were able to KEEP this lead?
    C) Who didnt get destroyed by Boozer?!
    D) u think Les will let Yao go away? the biggest $ maker for the Rockets?
    E) If Yao was really the defensive liability, we should take him out during crunch defensive possession (like vs Bobcats) not trade him away. BTW, 6 blocks is an indication of defensive liability?

8. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

StupidMoniker,
    I think you make valid points in your post.. I really love Yao, but I think he is way overrated considering the great liability he is down the stretch and against small players.. I really believe that trading Yao is in the best interest of the Rockets from a basketball standpoint because we can get just about any player you'd think of in the league right now other than players that yield more profit (LeBron, Kobe, and possibly DWade, but that's about it)..

however, I don't think the Rockets as an organization would even consider trading him because the market he created is absolutely huuuge.. no other player in the NBA would draw more viewers to a regular season game than the SuperBowl.. I think it all comes down to the money, Yao is a huge asset from a financial standpoint with the market he creates.. there is NO way this team would have sellout crowds if Yao wasn't on the team.

so I guess we just have to take it and work with what we have..

9. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Exactly why I called Yao the biggest clown in the league.

But this is a coach's failure. We can avoid this if only RA can recognize this pattern.

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I don't know why Yao was guarding everyone on opponent team, from guard to forward to center? Maybe many of the guys Yao was guarding had already beaten those unnamed teammates of Yao, stupid?

11. James23

James23 Member

I agree Yao is not #1 guy on a team, but I disagree trading him because there aren't many good big men out there that is as good as him. Instead of trading Yao, let's trade Tmac+any rockets for Kobe+Fisher. With Fisher's leadership and clutch outside shooting and Kobe's ability to score and competitiveness, the team will have much better chance of winning a championship then the current rockets.

What's an embarrassing loss tonight!

12. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

Okafor, Howard, Garnette, Duncan, the 2 Wallaces, and about every single power forward/center that has what it takes physically to stop him..

I agree with this point 100%.. like I said, no way in hell we trade away the biggest money maker possibly in the history of the NBA...

[/QUOTE]BTW, 6 blocks is an indication of defensive liability?[/QUOTE]
    no, an indication of a defensive liability is the inability to stop a 6-2 guard from getting a layup and better yet, foul him for the 3-point-play that pretty gave Dallas the lead which they never lost after that...

once again, I think Yao is a great player, I think he had a wonderful game with a double-double and six blocks.. but I can't resist the temptation of thinking about who we can get if we traded him.. I just don't see this team winning it all if he is the primary player..

13. James23

James23 Member

Is the Rockets the basketball version of the Oakland Raiders?

Both always find ways to lose games, often stupid mistakes.

14. SmitingPurpleEm

BTW, 6 blocks is an indication of defensive liability?[/QUOTE]
    no, an indication of a defensive liability is the inability to stop a 6-2 guard from getting a layup and better yet, foul him for the 3-point-play that pretty gave Dallas the lead which they never lost after that...

once again, I think Yao is a great player, I think he had a wonderful game with a double-double and six blocks.. but I can't resist the temptation of thinking about who we can get if we traded him.. I just don't see this team winning it all if he is the primary player..[/QUOTE]

Oh really? Then why is boozer pushing 25 ppg this season? Why did he torch Duncan in the WCF? The dude has become a great offensive player.

Do you expect Shaq or any other big center to stay in front of Devin Harris guarding him on a FREAKING ISOLATION PLAY? Only extraordinarily quick freaks like Olajuwon can do that.

15. Mysteryhunt

Mysteryhunt Member

you dont ever trade away a billion fans. period.

16. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

it was actually a result of 2 factors:
    1. poor 1 on 1 defense by the guards (Luther Head?)
    2. screens (pick and rolls) by Dallas which forces Yao to help

in both situations, Yao IS responsible for making the defensive stop on the ball because his beaten teammates should cover the passing lane to Yao's man..

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Rockets should feel guilty since Yao help them earn a lot of Money, but they are not able to let him to be the person he deserves to be! :mad:

18. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

That's probably WHY the OP of this thread has a nick called Stupid Monkey !! :rolleyes:

19. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

u guys can trade him and then become the crap lakers

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!