1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why we overlook the horrible year artest is having

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Nov 30, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If he could learn to shoot as a catch and shoot player, that would help a lot.

One thing I have not seen and I don't understand why.....is why hasn't Ron been used to set a pick? That guy is built like a tank, use his big body to free up Yao on the post and our SG on a curl...no one would get around an Artest screen.

DD

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This kind of thread always comes up early in the season. If Artest plays well for a stretch of 3 or 4 games, you'll see threads about how awesome he is. Think about last year. The GARM was in a state of panic, the world was ending, and then we won 22 in a row.

Look, we've had key players begin the season injured and playing, injured and not playing, injured, playing, and still recovering, and those still recovering from off-season surgery. We have new players in the rotation, with the entire team needing to get on the same page. Adelman's system is complex. It takes time, but you'll see great results, eventually. In the interim, we'll have games where we struggle and games where it all clicks. It takes time, something most of us have no patience for. That doesn't mean that we don't have holes in the lineup, but we still have the makings of a WC championship team, even if the holes aren't addressed, IMO.

Patience, people. (I know... I frequently lose mine, as well!)

3. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

All is because of our greatest coach: RA ;) ;)

He makes the great to average and the average to great :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Simple Answer: Toyota Center sucks.

This team has a better road record again.

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Ron is a great 3rd option. Unfortunantly, he has been our 2nd option most of the year. Yao is playing like a 12 year old girl right now, so that puts Ron at the number 1 option. Once Tracy is back, I think he will start doing better. Can't be too harsh on him yet, give him a couple of months with everyone healthy.

6. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Why we overlook the horrible year artest is having?

First off, it's still his honeymoon and we have a winning record.

Second off he's trying to fit in with the Rockets system and players, and not overwhelm and boot out certain players. So, there is a learning curve going on and Rick hasn't been able to put all the pieces together due to a lack of healthy bodies.

Now you add the fact that Tracy didn't play much in preseason and now he hops around the court on one leg. Ron's role was to possibly come off the bench and help Yao and Tracy, not be the man. Now he finds himself having to make plays and bull dose his way into the paint.

The team is always injured, roles and some sort of familiarity hasn't been developed for more than a couple of games. When Tracy was on the court he was trying to defer to Tracy, asking him "what do you want me to do?" Now Tracy is gone and we have no idea when he'll return.

What does Ron do? He takes it to the basket trying to draw a foul, and the refs have their whistles working only on one side of the court.

The thing is Ron twisted his ankle and when asked about it, he says "what ankle? ", "pain? no pain". Where as Tracy would hobble around the court and what you to feel sorry for him. Ron leaves it all on the table and that's very much appreciated. So you not gonna hear much b****ing from me over Ron's play when the only thing that really matters to him is a win or a lost.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Because we are winning with him and he has more impact than the points he puts on the board.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

When Battier gets fully healthy...Ron's impact will be lessoned.
    DD

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I wouldnt trade him for Miller. In fact, I just dropped Miller from my fantasy squad. Artest and Battier are the types of players we need to go deep into the playoffs.

Artest is supposed to be our third option...simple as that...

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not really. Battier is a good help defender. Artest pretty much slows whomever he guards. We need guys like Artest to cover Kobe and Pierce and let Battier chase the other guys. We all know Tracy can't chase them down anymore.

I also think you will see Artest jack up less shots when McGrady is healthy.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

We do not need more defenders, we are fine with Battier and Tmac on the wings, what we need are players that can put the ball in the basket.....and hit wide open shots generated by Yao and Tmac.

DD

12. jadednaga

jadednaga Member

Artest's main problem is he can't even out jump Scola... If we had Caron Butler (a better player IMO) he could dunk and avoid being blocked while have a game nearly identical to Artest in all other aspects.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Because his year -- uh, 1/5th of a year -- hasn't been horrible. His shooting has been horrible, but he's producing on other elements of the game. And, I expect his shooting to get better as (1) his ankle gets better, (2) he gets more comfortable about his role on the team, (3) he and the rest of the team get accustomed to the offense. He's doing fine. I still think he's a time-bomb, but his court performance is not a problem.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

ya the hops or lack thereof concerned me last night

maybe it was the back to back

it seems like he has played the most this yr...

artest will be fine. we just need to get our players back. tmac is frustrating the heck out of me right now

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

WE'RE SCARED

HE'S WATCHING US!!!!

16. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Will McGrady ever be healthy? Personally I've given up on the idea.

17. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

The problem is not Artest, it IS RA. Mark it ;) ;)

18. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Remember how we struggled early on last season? Yeah...just give it time. Rockets will be playing top 3 caliber basketball come February.

19. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Me too, every year I just hope we can get a high % of what he was when we first traded for him. Man I miss those back spasms! Just try YouTube, look up some highlights of his first year in Houston, in some regards he's just a completely different player... Some of that's expected, but most of it is just plain wear and tear on his body here and there, and he's still in his 20s.

The only positive thing I can take from T-Mac this season is his FTs. For whatever reason, he's finally hitting from the line at a clip that reflects the kind of talent that he has.

Who here thinks T-Mac will just retire after 2010? I do. My main concern is Yao's health at this point, who do we pair Yao with when he'll have only a few prime years left after 2010?

20. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Because he's supposedly a Clutchfan member, and many ppl here don't have the balls to bash him like they do T-Mac or Rafer. They're afraid Artest will find them in the stands and proceed to beat the **** outta them.

Well Artest is stinking it up this year. His point production is decent, but his percentages are awful. Last night he had 6 shots blocked. WTF is that Artest!? Were you trying to get your **** moved!? 5/18, are you kidding me!? Not everyday a guy makes 5 shots and has more shots blocked than shots made.

34% on the season.... that's bull****. Finish your damn layups. Who would have thought when he said "No Layups" he was referring to himself.

Other things aside, he's been good elsewhere. He's a top defender and a great rebounder. I think he tries too hard and does too much. Why he's trying to juke and dance his way by defenders I'll never know. Watching Artest try to break down ppl 25ft away from the basket is right below Luther Head's bounce pass on the "Things that make me cringe" list.

People say he's stinking it up in the post, but the problem is he's taking it from the outside and putting up a forced shot inside rather than establishing position. If he establishes position by at least the high post first, he'd be a lot more effective.