1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why we overlook the horrible year artest is having

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Nov 30, 2008.

1. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Knife fighters? I think spacing and knocking down shots would be more effective. Mike Miller brings that. In spades.

The best thing this team could have done was picked up a player like Artest, just in the PG position.

Oh and by the way, I'm all for giving Artest some time. But are you one of the one's who are on Tracy's ass for not playing or are you OK with him sitting out? Because if all you care is playoffs, then you shouldn't have a problem with T-Mac sitting out. But if you care about getting to the playoffs, then you should be mad at Tracy, but mad at Artest just the same.

Just making sure.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

no we need guys who can MAKE OPEN SHOTS. not luther's 0-fer; rafer's 32%; bobby jackson's 21%. and i don't want to see artest's 35% in there this year.

we need shot-makers. this team is tough enough (despite what people say). we can't keep having role player stinking it up in the playoffs.

3. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I agree that one of the main keys to winning a championship is always having a good pg. I disagree on Rondo though. He's a very good pg. Good ball handler, high bball iq, low turnovers, realizes his role on the team, doesn't force anything, great rebounder for a pg, above average defender, and a very good passer. His shooting can improve, but doesn't take bad shots (look at his fg%) and his other strengths more than makeup for this weakness. He is an ideal fit for that team.

Realistically, we all need to get on the Ramon Sessions bandwagon!

4. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

give it time? the biggest myth is that he played well for adelman...he played like 40 games and was their best player. here he has to be the 3rd best player...that is a major adjustment.

i believe 18 games is a good amount of time...almost a quarter of the season. i like the rockets team, but artest has been beyond awful.

miller is a very good player but guards no one, but our problem is offense not defense.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Exactly, we have enough defense without Artest, what we don't have are clutch shooters.....

We can not have another year with Rafer and Luther sucking it up, and then you toss in Artest's inability to shoot and it compounds the problem.

One solid shooter that moves without the ball....a Ray Allen light would open this offense up a ton.....I think they were hoping that was Brent Barry....but it isn't...

Either that or a penetrating PG that can finish and hit the midrange shot.....either works....but we need players that can put the biscuit in the basket.

DD

6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

You must be on crack if you think Artest won't be big when the playoffs come.

Our team as a whole is struggling.....Artest who has only played 18 games as a Rocket is struggling big time, but it'll only get better.

And Artest being on the Rockets will payoff when the playoffs begin....you want Miller over Artest :confused: :confused:

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Defense wins in the Playoffs............simple as that. Artest is a much, much better player that Mike Miller...... Especially when we play the Celtics in the finals......We will need Ron.......

If Tracy wants to sit out, than he should sit out until he is 100 percent, than playhis heart out. THAT is where I stand on that issue. None of this in between BS excuse ****. Sit out or go 115 percent.......that is what a max player does.....

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I think the main reason why we overlook Artest is because he's only been with the team 18 games, as compared to Yao and Tracy who have been here for years. Yes, these things do take time believe it or not. Thank God none of you are GMs.

...Btw, Mike Miller is having a career-low year in terms of scoring, which is pretty much the only thing he can do.

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Ron shot 45% from 2 and nearly 40% from 3 last year. He will come around..........chill

10. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Finals? The way we shoot so inconsistently, let's worry about Jazz in the 1st round first.

11. t_mac1

apparently our top 3 defense hasn't carried us anywhere in the playoffs.

but role player shooting 0-30% has.

nobody should worry about tracy. we go through this with him every year and he's always there ready in april.

ron artest is more worrisome right now.

12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Artest was only suppose to be a PIECE of the puzzle, but with all of the injuries, he feels he has to do a lot more. I think he will do better when he is playing with the whole team healthy, whenever that may be.

I do agree that we need a REAL shooter. Luther Head and Von Wafer will make shots one game and then they disappear. We need a consistent shooter, and that was suppose to be Barry, but his hand is injured.

13. Just2MuchHype

Just2MuchHype Member

Obama Says No Violence

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Great, Great post........

If Da -du- Da was GM, I can not even imagine how much trouble our Rockets would be in......

Billy
    Mike Miller
    the list goes on........Team soft white guys.........

15. t_mac1

that's ONE year. he was on a BAD team that no one probably game plans for. and he played with zero pressure b/c he knew his team wasn't going anywhere.

he's actually playing on a real team where his every action/play matters.

it's like saying luther played well in the reg. seasons the past few years so if he struggles in the playoffs, CHILL. no, 20 games are long enough. and it's not like he's facing all-nba defenses every night.

and his pathetic finishing ability has not changed.

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Tracy's defense was part of the problem in the playoffs, it is every year......

Ron Artest is a much more successful playoff player than Tracy by a longshot.............

17. TracyMcgradyMVP

Bcuz we winning most games ?!?!?!?!?

18. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

happy to see someone believe we can meet Celtics at Finals, as my signature says, if we can playing games consistantly, we can beat Lakers, still can beat Celtics at Finals :D

Now our biggest task is keep healthy, no more injuries

19. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Now that i am over my rage...

Give Ron time, half our team are playing like headless chickens (and the other half are injured) , we will be fine come playoff time.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

The year before he was 44% and the Kings were definetly not bad last year. They beat some quality teams....
    Not to mention his defense (Can dominate a game on defense) and his passion and toughness...........