1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why we overlook the horrible year artest is having

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Nov 30, 2008.

1. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

why do we do it...because we all said we wanted him here and now we are loathe to admit that he is sucking big time. if this was tmac, we would be killing him, but we are so soft on artest it is shocking and we now must admit we are totally unobjective about him.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I never wanted him here, said he didn't fit with Yao and Tmac......but at the price Morey paid, I think he had to take that chance.

If he continues to struggle it might be worth it to move his contract for someone like Mike Miller, who does fit.

DD

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I think our main intention was to have him come off the bench as the main scoring option. With Battier injured, hes in a starter role where he has to share touches with TMac, Yao and Rafer and Scola.

Put him in the bench role with Landry, Brooks, Hayes more often and Im pretty sure he will be more effective

4. FFz

FFz Member

he's doing a nice job on the defensive end of the floor. I dont think anyone expected him to come onto this team and gel right away. It takes time to build a team and for a team to come together. Just give it time.

5. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

Im really hope we had done the deal with Pistons. Ron doesnt fit out system.This game told us how important a good PG is.

6. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

He's forcing too many tough shots.

7. MD_in_Training

What we needed was a PG of Artest's caliber. Instead, we got Artest, who doesn't seem to be doing too well in Adelman's system.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

b/c we have tracy mcgrady.

every rocket problems point back to tracy.

9. Yak

Yak Member

I'm starting to feel that way, but there could be one way to salvage what little patience we have with him yet.

Battier's FULL return. Perhaps this will send him into the second unit, where he can be a true leader without having to address Yao and Mcgrady first. Our starting five outside of Scola all require the ball to be somewhat useful.

Now, we don't know if Battier will be starting when he's in game shape, but I really think we need to shake up the rotation by starting Battier and sending Ron in with the second unit.

I also feel Ron is so completely confused out there that he is compelled to jack up shots. He knows he was brought in to ameliorate all of our offensive woes and bolster our already profound defense. Most of his shots are taken when there is less than 10 seconds on the shot clock it seems. This is common because he is looking to let others score first and be the priority, but when time is winding down he knows he needs to score to keep everyone else satisfied.

Let me explain. He came into this season saying that he wants to let Yao and Tmac lead. Well, neither of them are taking the reins, but Ron seems to be perplexed as to whether he should work as a playmaker and pass the ball to Yao and Tmac as much as possible or to score.

Tonight was a prime example. Without TMac, Ron felt the need to replace him. He tried to bull rush the rim and draw fouls and be a prolific scorer, but he just couldn't do it.

I really don't want to judge Ron until we are completely healthy and play a stretch of games with Tmac and Battier in.

Sorry if this may sound confusing because I may not be thinking straight as it is getting late and I am extremely tired.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because he plays fantastic defense, and it is going to take time to gel all these pieces toghether..........

Just settle down and give it time, chemistry will build, shots will fall.......

And DD, Ron Artest is 1000000x better than Mike Miller........ Playoffs buddy, playoffs.... When we play the Jazz, you will want to have a warrior like Ron, Not that p***y Mike Miller

11. t_mac1

but tracy and battier were not here tonight. he still sucked. he played with the bench a lot throughout this season so far, he still sucked.

i just think we need to talk to ron and say, "ron you're just not that good. just play defense, hit spot up shots, and post up once in a while. stop playing like you're a star b/c you aren't."

tracy on one leg has better stats than he does, which is shameful.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hmm... All you would say last year is give it time. Give it time. That was your thing. Now a few games in and this? Okaaaaay.

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Ron has proven to have played well in Adelman's system.........

Ron will carry us before the end, all of you will see...........

GIVE THE MAN SOME TIME, HE IS STILL LEARNING WHERE TO GET HIS and honestly he does not have that chemistry with the guys yet........

14. t_mac1

mike miller is a shot-maker.

i'm afraid ron might shoot 35% and miss every layup in the playoffs. it's not improving. we're nearly 20 games into it.

tracy slumps here and there throughout a season b/c he doesn't penetrate enough.

ron artest is sucking despite taking it to the rim. we have to get that. but apparently, nobody is. adelman hasn't done anything to change ron's style of play.

15. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I really hope it wasn't just this game. A good PG is key to most championshp teams. Rarely does a championship team have a sub-par or even par PG. Usually they are at least above-average or good.

The Celtics actually proved otherwise. Rajon Rondo is not that good.

I don't think we're going to be able to move Artest's contract. In theory, we should, because it is an expiring but given the history with Artest, I don't know how many teams will be willing to take the risk. Maybe we can get a team who wants to get rid of a PG or a shooter before they lose them for nothing?

If he doesn't fit in with this team by the end of the season, he'll be let go. If he does, we'll probably try to resign him.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Artest and Battier are both great defenders, we need players at other positions to help fill in the gaps, not redundant pieces.

Battier fits better because he moves the ball, plays better help defense and spaces the floor.

Artest needs the ball to be effective, and Yao clogs the paint for him to boggart his way in there...which even when he does that he can't finish.

Mike Miller or a quality PG for Artest would make me very happy.

And Mike Miller moves without the ball VERY well.....which would fit in very nicely with Yao and Tmac.

DD

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Playoffs G, Playoffs...... We need Knife fighters...............

18. Pueblo

Pueblo Member

Ron Artest has sucked big time on inside plays, which is something really surprising to me. Other than that, he has played well on defense, and has done OK offensively on the perimeter.

The guy has played hard. Because this team has a couple of soft super stars, fans generally have given him a pass on many of his bad plays, recognizing the efforts and heart he has put into games.

19. redao

redao Member

because we dont have a good #1 and #2.
    We dont have time to blame #3, #4, #5---#12.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

We are a team in progress.

We will not be remembered for what we do in November....... We will get a little bit better every game, you will see, Artest is arguably the most valuable piece on this team........