1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why we must keep Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OmerAsik3, Jul 11, 2013.

?

Should we keep Omer Asik

Poll closed Oct 19, 2013.
  1. Yes

52.9%
  2. No

7.3%
  3. Try it until all-star break

39.8%
  1. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Maybe because Asik is a darn good defensive big man. The great Howard only scored 16 points against Asik. And plenty other centers around the league have had trouble scoring against Asik.

You said that like Asik was garbage. Fix your mouth dude...

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think this is very debatable. I think Morey values Asik very highly relative to other GMs. I think it will be tough for the Rockets to find a trading partner for him that is willing to meet Morey's price. At trade deadline, other GMs may become more desperate, but I expect it will be until next summer that the Rockets start trying to trade him so they don't lose him for nothing.

#42 Joe Joe, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Would only trade Asik if we're getting an All-star power forward in return.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

??? I am a huge Asik fan, but there are quire a few other all stars I would value over Asik.

5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

One thing we want to make certain doesn't happen, Asik can never go to OKC.

Game over if he does, unless of course we get Durant in return.

6. rinklob

rinklob Member

Jeremy Lin outscored Stephen Curry multiple times, and Russell Westbrook once last season. All hail Jeremy Lin, the best offensive point guard in the league.

7. IMtheotherDB

IMtheotherDB New Member

So Rockets need a better PF and Asik would be great in Boston. He's a willing screener in the P&R with Rondo, and if you add another team to shed some more salary for the C's. How bout add the Bobcats in a S&T for Gerald Henderson to the C's?

Rockets in: Green, BOS 2nd
    Rockets out: Asik, Anderson, Ohlbrecht,
    (http://www.hoopsworld.com/houston-rockets-team-salary)

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Green
    Howard

Celtics in: Asik, Henderson, Anderson, Sessions(expiring $) CHA 1st from Thomas trade
    Celtics out: Green, Lee, Bradley
    (http://www.hoopsworld.com/boston-celtics-team-salary)

Rondo
    Henderson
    Wallace
    Bass
    Asik

Bobcats in: Lee, Bradley, Ohlbrecht, HOU 2nd from Trob Trade,
    Bobcats out: Henderson, Sessions
    (http://www.hoopsworld.com/charlotte-bobcats-team-salary)

Walker
    Gordon
    MKG
    McRoberts
    Jefferson
    with Lee, Bradley & Zeller coming off the bench

Thoughts?

8. Dwight2HOU

Dwight2HOU New Member

Al Horford
    Brook Lopez
    Al Jefferson
    Joakim Noah
    Andrew Bynum
    Dwight Howard
    Roy Hibbert
    Marc Gasol
    Larry Sanders
    Nikola Pekovic
    Tyson Chandler
    Demarcus Cousins
    Tim Duncan
    Andrew Bogut
    Nikola Vucevic

...Are all better than Omer Asik. Asik is in the same tier as:
    Javale McGee
    Andre Drummond
    DeAndre Jordan
    Marcin Gortat

... Asik at the moment is better than these centers but Andre Drummond will certainly pass him next year.

Since we have Dwight I think we should trade Omer (and probably a pick) to the Pelicans for Ryan Anderson and then sign Samuel Dalembert to replace Omer as a back up center. We don't really lose anything because Dalembert in a good rebounder and a good defender and on top of that we get Anderson.

9. GMNot

GMNot Member

Don't want to keep beating a dead horse here, since I have made my opinion clear in a couple other posts, but my gut (and my eyes) tell me it would be foolish to trade Asik. Defense does win championships. I think that is how the Heat prevailed against SA this last series. That was the difference. Asik's defense is a big key to this team's success. He just doesn't see it that way... yet.

What he (Asik) needs help with is perspective, which at his age is hard to absorb. History shows that every player, no matter how talented, ends up valuing a championship in their career over every thing else. It is, in fact, what is driving Dwight Howard. As young as he is, he has seen almost a decade come and go without one. It drove Charles Barkley to come to the Rockets and play alongside Hakeem and Clyde. It has driven Ray Allen to join up with Miami, etc. Anyone on the forum here can add to this list. This is what Omer doesn't really understand at this point in his career. And, too many fans don't either. Excuse me, but how long have we been away from being close to championship "Dreams?" Championships are rare, for the most part. The Celtics and Lakers were aberrations in history. They haven't been so successful in the modern era. The Celtics only won 4 championships after the ABA/NBA merger, and none of those were consecutive.

And limiting the "experiment" to the time period between now and the All-Star break is too constricting. The only thing experimental would be both Asik and Howard being on the floor at the same time. Most of the time they will both being playing the Center spot. Anything apart from this would be McHale trying to create a mismatch at some point in a game for an advantage and/or to disrupt the rhythm of the other team in case of a run, etc.

We can keep musing about the idea of a trade, as a point of discussion, but don't expect the musings, to carry much weight with anyone from the organization who reads CF threads. If Asik will get on board, a la the perspective mentioned, this team will, defensively, have potential that no other team in the league can better. And the potential will easily come to fruition with proper attitude and common goal. Asik has proven his worth and so has Howard. There is a real reason that the first hint of Howard's interest in coming here was to play alongside Asik. He gets it. Too bad some here don't.

Like Howard, I wouldn't be so bold as to predict a championship this year. But I think his expectations (and excitement) include an Asik who is fully committed to the cause. It will be up to the Rockets and their support resources to convince Asik to focus on a championship vs. being "the" starter for "a" team. Go somewhere else and shine. But you might regret the opportunity you now have in hand in 10 years, when your career is winding down and you still don't have a championship. Barkley would still give almost any part of his career to have that. Ask Shane Battier if he minded coming off the bench in Miami to win a championship. Until he signed with Miami he probably thought a chance at a championship had passed him by, like so many others, as mentioned.

There really is no "experiment" to try here. Asik being Asik and Howard being Howard is all that is needed. And everyone else being themselves, too. Every other player on the floor will be better with a dominant defensive big man on the floor with them. What they can all become together can be special. Much depends on their mutual acceptance of this common goal and truly caring for the "team" as opposed to individual accolades or "status." Barring injuries (the Rockets well known nemesis), this team will grow into the likes of which fans have waited for and thought might never come again.

10. pass_to_Hakeem

I will go with Bogut but ONLY!!! because he has better hands / hit his ft's. Asik murders him on D. He barely gets the edge because he has offense. WHEN .... he's even on the court (always injured). Asik definitely out works & hustles him..