1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why wasn't Dwight at the Aldridge meeting?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Jul 2, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Of course they still want Dwight. He's a beast.

2. OpenLayup-Why3?

If this is the last year for Duncan, San Antonio will have a hole up front next summer. And guess who's going to be the #1 center available in FA.
    Howard, LMA, Leonard, Green, Parker. Coached by Popovic. That's nasty. He might even have better chance with them, than with us. I think most teams will afford one max contract next summer, including Spurs. Even if close to max, don't think Dwight is eager to squeeze every penny at this point of his career.
    There are reasons to be somewhat concerned. And only reason why Rockets would suddenly stop wanting Dwight is if Durant asks for it as a term of signing with us. Which will not happen. And where do you find a replacement at center for Dwight? That's crazy, Bobby.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The rockets knew Aldridge was going to join the Spurs as soon as their center was traded to Hawks. Also lots of NBA players seem to think that Howard is not that great either, Harden is the team leader of the rockets, not Howard.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That would be my assumption as well, I was just pointing out that there was no reason to expect Howard to not want to re-sign with the Rockets. The only way I could see the Rockets choosing to walk away from Dwight would be if they knew Kevin Durant wanted to come here and they chose KD over Dwight.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

with lawson here now, dwight is going to feast on easy points in the paint and look to return to the team next summer

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Howard takes a pay cut, then we can add Durant too. Do not know if it is going to happen, but it is possible.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Re-signing Howard actually has very little (or nothing) to do with signing Durant. We'll have to lose a chunk of salary like $10m, but with Howard we can either renounce his rights and use up all the cap space (but then we don't have his rights, so we can't re-sign him) or we can trade contracts worth $10m away.

Obviously, we'd go for option #2.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Best realistic scenario is Howard signs a 4 year 100 million dollar deal, which is actually a one year 10 million dollar deal, followed by a 3 year 90 million dollar deal. This will give us the cap room to sign Durant or Horford without having to trade a bunch of guys.

Lawson / Beverley
    Harden / McDaniels
    Ariza / Brewer
    (Durant/Horford) / Dmo
    Howard / Capela

OH MY GOD, I JUST ROSTERBATED ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Lousy bump, in my humble opinion. Should have been a separate thread if the OP thought it was a topic worth discussing, with all due respect.

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

Agreed. There wasn't even a "multiple sauces", "insider scoop", twitter post, instagram, bla bla, etc. No news at all. Misleading.

Besides the point that it is ridiculous if we do not resign him, assuming the Rockets and Dwight stay on track.

11. Kash

Kash Member

Why wasn't Carl Herrera and Winston Garland not there either?

12. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Fair comment about whether we trade him. 56 wins last season - how many were without him?
    Although I love having Dwight on the team, I'm more concerned about whether Harden walks at the end of his contract. He's far more crucial.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because he knew Aldridge wasn't serious about winning a championship.

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Are you serious? I would never pay Howard like that. Part time player. This ain't the Orlando Dwight.