1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Why Voter ID Needed] FBI Investigating More Dead People Voting In The Key Swing State Of Virgini

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Dei

Dei Member

The op just presented cases for it. Either liberals are being deliberately daft or enjoy singing the same old platitudes.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The OP didn't, in fact, present a case for it, if you bothered reading the article.

It says nothing about people fraudulently voting, and shows no evidence of that occurring. Its the same tired argument, saying that it COULD happen, despite not showing that it has happened in any. The logical approach is to just fix the problem of dead people being registered, which is easy and effective. Unfortunately, that solution doesn't help Conservatives win elections, so its not focused on.

Voter ID laws have and will continue to be nothing more than a political tool, this article is just another round in the chamber...unfortunately...its a blank.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was told that there was no such thing as voter fraud and not only does it not exist, it has never existed and that's the reason why people shouldn't be forced to show ID to vote like they would to do just about anything else in life. Could they have lied to me? I'm shocked.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm amenable to changing voter registration processes. We should do a better job of keeping the voter rolls clean of non-citizens and dead people. If the voter rolls were buttoned up, there wouldn't be much potential impact for voter impersonation. Why would we try to solve the problem at the polling station instead? But, if we have to, I am also amenable to marking each voter with indelible ink like they do in third world countries. Democrats and Republicans take stain equally.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The easiest way is to simply require ID, and ID that is required to do most things in society. An ID that is incredibly cheap.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

But requirements of IDs puts encumbrance on citizens' Constitutionally guaranteed right to vote. Fixing voter rolls (assuming you don't screw it up) might be harder to accomplish but does not need to impinge on your right to vote. If we're going to have to put up with our forefathers' brain fart in the second amendment then I'm going to insist on maximum access to voting as well.

But, here is my suggestion for a voter ID law. Write a law with a trigger on it that says IDs can be required when more than 99% (or other high percentage) of eligible voters have valid IDs. That would give Republicans incentive to figure out ways to get IDs to the disenfranchised, assuming their only motivation is to protect the process.

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Just the first minute but I like the whole video.

No Worries likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All rights have certain limits, why should voting be any different? You bring up the second amendment....would you want people buying guns without showing ID? Probably not. You'd be okay with that "encumbrance on citizens' Constitutionally guaranteed right" correct? Okay, so you've established that there's nothing wrong with doing so.

IMO if you don't wish to go out and get an ID, you are saying that you don't wish to vote.....or do any of the other things in life that require ID. It really only affects those hayseeds that live outside of society anyway.

jsingles likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps we could put some language in the bill that would allow for "spread your cheeks and lift your sack" to be a valid form of ID so that it's not racist anymore.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's Trump's world. The facts that disagree with you are biased and slanted.

I don't find it particularly surprising that a white supremacist doesn't believe laws designed to disenfranchise minorities are unconstitutional. That pesky Constitution is always tripping up Trump racists.

12. Granville

Granville Member

Common sense says every adult will need a photo ID at some point in their lives. The American thing to do would be to help those with hurdles get one. 5
    The talk of folks needing photo ID and the thoughts of a sack of dildos come pouring from your fingers. You're an odd duck, Sam.

Try answering the question instead of emptying your weird mind on us.

13. Granville

Granville Member

For someone who despises stereotypes. You spew more angry stereotypes than almost anyone around here.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah....he's pretty much just the pro-Hillary version of RocketsLegend.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I agree.

It's pretty twisted to assume all is well in the process if anyone is able to vote right when you sign up on the day. Non-Presidential years suffer in turnout because of big bang all-or-nothing thinking. I don't like the principle of bussing people who had never heard or seen a single thing about the issues to take a multiple choice test of D,R,I.

There are some genuine hurdles for the poor to get an ID if they are unemployed, don't have birth certificate (long form or whatever) or not officially renting.

This would be one area where activists would make a deep impact.

I do get that the Voter ID issue is one more requirement some people are forced to jump over for their Constitutional right to vote. Even if the whole idea of end user voter fraud is just a legal dance to sidestep legally mandated race discrimination protections, people should value and fight for that right when the available voter turnout for people is already pathetic compared to other free countries.

#55 Invisible Fan, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Do you need a Voter ID to submit an absentee ballot?

Would requiring Voter ID for absentee ballots impact more Republicans than Democrats?

[​IMG]

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Absentee ballot and early voting requirements vary between the 37 or so states that allow them.

This would be the easiest way to get people involved but would definitely pose its own challenges for citizens that don't have middle class luxuries.

And who knows about the impacts of politicians once it becomes too big to ignore.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The question about Voter ID laws and their true purpose was answered a long time ago- The serve the purpose of racist whites, such as yourself and your chosen candidate, Trump, -- most recently exposed in North Carolina

“Is there any way to get a breakdown of the 2008 voter turnout, by race (white and black) and type of vote (early and Election Day)?” a staffer for the state’s Republican-controlled legislature asked in January 2012.

“Is there no category for ‘Hispanic’ voter?” a GOP lawmaker asked in March 2013 after requesting a range of data, including how many voters cast ballots outside their precinct.

And in April 2013, a top aide to the Republican House speaker asked for “a breakdown, by race, of those registered voters in your database that do not have a driver’s license number.”

Months later, the North Carolina legislature passed a law that cut a week of early voting, eliminated out-of-precinct voting and required voters to show specific types of photo ID — restrictions that election board data demonstrated would disproportionately affect African Americans and other minorities.

Critics dubbed it the “monster” law — a sprawling measure that stitched together various voting restrictions being tested in other states. As civil rights groups have sued to block the North Carolina law and others like it around the country, several thousand pages of documents have been produced under court order, revealing the details of how Republicans crafted these measures.

A review of these documents shows that North Carolina GOP leaders launched a meticulous and coordinated effort to deter black voters, who overwhelmingly vote for Democrats. The law, created and passed entirely by white legislators, evoked the state’s ugly history of blocking African Americans from voting — practices that had taken a civil rights movement and extensive federal intervention to stop.

If being a white supremacist jackass doesn't qualify one for the metaphorical equivalent of a vessel containing artificial phalluses, I don't know what does.

19. Granville

Granville Member

Because I differ with you on subjects related to race that does not make me a racist. You are the most obnoxious person on this board bar none and it's laughable you'd call anyone a jackass especially since a lot of liberals can't stand your tired act either. Go back to dreaming about dildos

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's not my stereotype. It's what the polls show.

You've followed me around with nonsense all this week and it's boring. Keep it up and I'll put you on the bench.