1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Why Voter ID Needed] FBI Investigating More Dead People Voting In The Key Swing State Of Virgini

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Sep 29, 2016.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not one person has even insinuated this. Worthless response. Get back on topic.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not one person has even insinuated this. Worthless response. Get back on topic.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Would it really? Why? Photo IDs are so ubiquitous in daily life that I can't imagine not showing mine to someone at least once a week. Who actually doesn't have an ID?

4. Dei

Dei Member

If you need the analogy spelled out:

Don't blame a law designed for deterring abuse because it affects mostly a particular group. Blame the people for being too lazy or rotten to adjust.

5. Major

Major Member

According to studiest, about 11% of Americans don't have them. Don't just assume your life experience is like everyone else.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5474ec-20f0-11e6-8690-f14ca9de2972_story.html

Just one example from the article:

HOUSTON — In his wallet, Anthony Settles carries an expired Texas identification card, his Social Security card and an old student ID from the University of Houston, where he studied math and physics decades ago. What he does not have is the one thing that he needs to vote this presidential election: a current Texas photo ID.

For Settles to get one of those, his name has to match his birth certificate — and it doesn’t. In 1964, when he was 14, his mother married and changed his last name. After Texas passed a new voter-ID law, officials told Settles he had to show them his name-change certificate from 1964 to qualify for a new identification card to vote.

So with the help of several lawyers, Settles tried to find it, searching records in courthouses in the D.C. area, where he grew up. But they could not find it. To obtain a new document changing his name to the one he has used for 51 years, Settles has to go to court, a process that would cost him more than $250 — more than he is willing to pay.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No, a federal judge blamed the law for being designed to disenfranchise minorities. Read the ruling, don't be a lazy white supremacist.

7. Major

Major Member

It's not a law designed for deterring abuse. Its a law designed to deter specific demographics from voting. The notes from the North Carolina legislators spelled out their intent. There's a whole thread on it here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...lican-voter-id-sham-in-north-carolina.277260/

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There are a number of court rulings related to voter ID fairly recently and covered in a number of threads here. At least one court (probably more than one) reject the argument that there is a problem with voter fraud. Google is your friend.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You shouldn't pretend the law was ever designed to deter abuse. It wasn't.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is a Federal court unbiased enough?

11. Dei

Dei Member

I know. I've seen the thread. It's a clearly biased article with a liberal slant. I disagree with the judge's opinion.

Well, maybe some in the GOP truly did have an ulterior motive but that doesn't mean the law itself was solely for that purpose. After all, the chief complaint about it is the lack of evidence of fraud. It light of the current case, that's not true.
    And the law itself is not unconstitutional or inhumane. It doesn't take away people's rights to vote, only that they have take extra steps.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im sure we can dig back 100 years ago and find someone who initially brought it up. And NC is the only state who step forward and passed legislation, long after it was a BFD elsewhere.

Anyhoo, thats not the point. Its an issue that is largely irrelevant, regardless of what side perpetuated it.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

When it actually have an impact to election result or in the case of TG, when it have an impact to individuals rights.

You can call it's liberal agenda if you want. I guess I can call out two agendas:
    - Agenda to ensure individual rights are protected and aren't discriminated against
    - Agenda to ensure not just liberal lending, but all voters rights are not suppressed

Do you have a problem with those agendas?

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

In general, if we knock down the hurdles to obtaining photo IDs, is there a reason not to have one? The issues in this article seem like a clerical error that can be improved with better record keeping, especially with the aid of computers and databases. I know the system isn't perfect now, but why not make improvements towards giving citizens government-funded photo IDs?

15. Major

Major Member

You think the legislators' notes and requests are made up?

That's not true at all. We've known about voter registration fraud for a long time - that was that basis of the ACORN scandal 8 years ago. Registering people to vote for money or whatever other purpose is not the issue - it has no effect on elections. The problem is only if those people actually vote - and there's still zero evidence that they do. You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist or need a solution - it's the epitome of unnecessary and harmful regulation that conservatives supposedly hate.

So you're good with Jim Crow laws and poll taxes? They fall under the same category - just some extra steps.

16. Major

Major Member

Because the same legislators that want voter ID laws are generally against government-funded photo IDs.

You can call it a clerical error - but it effects millions of people. That's just one of a lot of examples. Some are that elderly people who live in nursing homes have no need for a new ID and don't have the ability to go get out one without major assistance. Or people in rural communities who live paycheck to paycheck needing to take a full day off to go 200 miles away to the nearest DPS office in West Texas to find an ID. On and on and on.

We don't have government funded universal IDs for whatever reason. So should these people be able to vote?

17. Major

Major Member

That's convenient, given that you're the one that brought it up as a liberal cause.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

My bad. I misinterpreted it as you advocating a federal ID.

19. Dei

Dei Member

I'm on my phone so pardon for the formatting:

I think there were some who might have had that as an ulterior motive in the GOP but the purpose of the law itself is to deter abuse. It does that, imperfectly, just like with the police.

There is evidence dead people and non-citizens have been voting in the OP although I'd put forward the mere fact registration of already dead people is already disconcerting.

The barrier for voter ids vs poll taxes is incomparable. Jim Crow laws, I just don't see it.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Voter ID has been and always will be a solution looking for a problem.

For now, the problem is too many elderly and poor people voting (I'm sure it's just a coincidence that they lean Democratic).