1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why u Cant build Around Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I guess I just got punked by an alter.

2. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Great post...This should be a 4-5 star thread...hmmmm I wonder why it got rated so low?!?

And to the guy who said the same thing could be said about Tim Duncan...ARE YOU KIDDING ME? the guy is great at everything including making his teammates better, defense, and action oriented/vocal leadership.

3. choujie

choujie Member

Put current Yao on those San Antonio teams and give Yao the same treatment as Duncan by refs I dare to say he'd probably have more than 4 rings.

4. RocketsFan5354

You're absolutely right! Very good post!

5. leebigez

leebigez Member

So Phoenix in 95 neatralized Hakeem. I've watched the rox since 77. The thing about hakeem is its not just scoring. How many times have you seen Hakeem dominate the glass and the paint even though he wasn't scoring? How many times have you seen him get the ball and get triple teamed and give the teammates good passes? How many times have we as rox fans seen Hakeem dominate everyone from robinson, ewing,shaq,eaton, mason, oakley, west, kareem, parish, and whoever name or no name guy you want to trow out. Hakeem never had a player like Tracy until the last couple of years when he had Clyde. You wouldnever say the rox should have a banger to rpotect hakeem,moses, or big e. Know why? He was the banger, enforcer and whatever else you want to call a big man. He doesn't need protection or a shot blocker/rebounder because thats what he is. Hakeem gave the hard fouls and didn't need anyone to retaliate for him. Otis thorpe was good, but teams didn't fear thorpe like they feared hakeem. Look at young hakeem and how physical they tried to play him. Look and see how many asses hakeem had to kick before teams stop trying him. Go ask Cage and polonice to ask a few. i couldgo on and and on, but i wont.

6. ibm

ibm Member

sorry, i meant "one of the top interior defensive teams".

anyone who averages double digit rebounding and/or 2+ blocks is doing great in my book. but if you insist it has to be the top 5, i can live with that.

some players have specialties. camby and ben are 2 very good examples. when you only have to focus on one or few things in the game, it's easier to get them done. yao has to be great in almost all categories for some to consider him of doing "great". example - in the recent denver game, yao fouled out the reigning dpoy camby and limited him to 2pts i believe (see, camby doesn't have to be a factor in offense) and fouled out nejara while having good-looking stats and an excellent game. that's the difference b/w yao, a great great player, and the good players.

7. RocketsFan5354

Definitely! I totally agree!

8. teemacatac

teemacatac Member

yao did the same thing last year, and he also gets like 15000000. but rockerts did won two thirds of the games without him. If yao is the guy the whole team is build around, then why cant he lead the team to wins.

9. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Wonder what our team would be like if we had traded Yao for KG strait up...

10. apocclass

apocclass Member

pretty good, but not as good as the celtics are right now.

KG would work better in adelmans offense than yao does as he is a better passer and shooter of midrange jumpers. but the celtics have two great wings whereas the rockets just have 1. we'd be much better defensively than we are right now, but our offense would not be all that since we'd still have chuck hayes and rafer starting, and shane battier is certainly no paul pierce.

11. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

something in your post tells me you don't watch much basketball..

because if you did, you would know that Duncan is horribly officiated ALL the time.. I am talking Shaq style, phantom fouls called on him, charges like crazy, traveling calls..

watch this gem, and try to validate your information before trying to make a coherent post..

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOygTd1NWCM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOygTd1NWCM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I dare say you are delusional.

13. goyao11

goyao11 Member

I would actually wonder what Boston would be like w/ Yao on thier team...

Paul pierce slashing, Ray allen shooting the lights out, Yao dominating inside... wow... *drools*

Haha

14. ibm

ibm Member

imo if we still want to pull some meaning out of this thread, we need to stop arguments such as "td > yao" (or "kg > yao" for that matter) and the vice versa. those have nothing to do with the op's point - they don't prove it, nor refute it.

15. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Agreed.

Now I have another question for those who say 'No' to building around Yao: Who do you build this team around then? Tmac? Bonzi? Battier?...

Chuck Hayes?

Do you guys just wanna blow it up?

16. v3.0

v3.0 Member

an excuse followed by a you're really reaching on that assumption.

BUT, I'll give you the Duncan ref treatment to Yao, and I'll still say Yao will end up with less rings if any.

Why? Duncan was automatic with his turnaround bank shot, with Yao these days, he misses alot on his pet moves.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

thats b/c of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili :rolleyes:

Yao gives you high double-doubles every night and hits near 90% from the free throw line. You can build around that, anyone that disagrees with that is ignorant imo.

18. choujie

choujie Member

I have to say you didn't watch enough basketball by bringing up that example. Crawford had a histroy with TD, and he got penalized hard by Stern for his action. Did you hear and referee got suspend because of unbelivable calls on Yao?

Hard to belive someone claims himself watch a lot basketball game but still feels TD got offciated worse than Yao.

19. leebigez

leebigez Member

I've been on this board before yao and will be here after yao> i'm a rox fan and i dont just throw stuff out just to get a thread rating or whatever its supposed to be. Its not a secret and its not to bash yao. i've stated he's a good player. He's not great because he does nothing great, plain and simple. thats not a knock, its the truth. can u win with yao? of course as long as you dont ask him to dominate on a nightly basis. If you ask yao to be effecient, which he is and give me 18ppg and 8-9 rebs, that cool, but to ask him to dominate for 35-37 mins is not in his demeanor. he doesn't have the stamina to do it. It is what it is. Can anyone honestly tell me that shaq got fouled less than yao does now? What made shaq, shaq is that no matter how much you fouled him or how hard you fouled him, he kept coming and coming. Players didn't dare try to block his dunks because that would result in a trip to the dl with broken fingers. he just kept coming and coming and coming and would foul out the starter, the backup, and the backup. next thing you know, kobe is slashing to the rim getting dunks, layups and mid range j's. If yao had that kind of endurance, sign me up, but we know thats not the case.

20. blivo

blivo Member

I think we all feel this is quite possibly the dumbest post we will get for 2008 and its only 2 odd days in....

Well done on absolutely humiliating your basketball related posts repuation on this forum...