1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why this team makes me sad.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams, Pau Gasol.

What do these names have in common besides that fact that they are stars? They also have in common, the fact that we pursued all three heavily. As well that we lost all three because of our lack of a high level YOUNG trade asset.

Carmelo Anthony got dealt for a package similar to what we could have provided. The big chip was Danillo Gallinari.

Deron Williams got dealt for a bunch of draft picks. The big chip ending up being Derrick Favors.

Pau didn't get deal to Houston because of our lack of ability to provide trade assets like Eric Gordon or Aminu. I like both Gordon and Aminu, but these were not top shelf assets. This should give us a perspective on the functionality of the idea that Morey can put together a bunch of our crap and give it value just because it is a BUNCH of our crap. Guys like Budinger hold the most value to US. Around the league you can find a Budinger anywhere. Patterson and Morris are two guys on our roster who could have strong trade value, if they were given bigger minutes or actual minutes respectively.

Martin and Scola could hold a huge value to a team looking to take on Miami, Oklahoma City or Chicago. But these are never the assets that are going to be directly traded for a team that is trading a star (therefore almost assuredly rebuilding the Non-Leslie Alexander way. You can hope for a three way deal but I think the same logic applies to a lesser extent.

If we were to trade Scola and Martin for nothing more at this point than Expiring and future first rounders I would be happy. Patterson and Lee could step in but the depth would probably be shot to the point where we could end up decent lotto pick. (9-11 ish) It makes me sad that we didn't tank this abortion of a season anyway and end up with a great lotto pick. My point being, that a 9# pick would still have way more value than anything we have now (unless Pat or Morris explode) and I mean WAY more value.

This strategy that we are going for now, is not going to work. I have been optimistic the last couple years but for unknown reasons that has changed recently. Even if we are angling for Deron or Dwight in FA, that just isn't a solid plan either.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good for you.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sad that Bobby Brown isn't invited to Whitney's funeral, but they invited Kevin Costner!

The Rockets are winning and there's always a possibility of getting a trade done by the trade deadline.

So I'm happy!:grin:

1 person likes this.
  5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

For every Amare taken at #9, there's an O'Bryant AND a Diogu.

I don't completely disagree with you but the fact is, one or two lottery picks every year become franchise players. That's about it.

If we trade everything for picks, turn the picks into prospects, then trade the prospects for a superstar, there is nothing left to put around the superstar. We don't have the luxury of superstars forcing themselves onto our team for pennies on the dollar based on market size, let's deal in the reality of what "getting superstars" in today's game entails and not pretend the #9 pick is any different from the #14 pick in getting there.

2 people like this.
  6. cod

cod Member

7. Balakoth

Balakoth Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RFZrzg62Zj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This thread makes me sad.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Utah didn't want to trade Deron to someone in the division.

Stern intervened illegally to block the Pau trade.

In my mind, it's just been more bad luck than anything.

1 person likes this.
  10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

One-star thread.

Now I will continue sweet talking your mother.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Two low rated threads in one week....not so good Francis3422

12. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Off with his head!

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Basic premise behind the thread:

If there's any big name out there we should automatically be able to get them.

Second premise behind the thread:

We should overpay to get a big name no matter what, and then stink (see Knicks, New York. They get Stoudemire and Anthony, and stunk it up until some unheralded youngster turned things around singlehandedly).

Both are fail premises which is why most regard Francis3422 as a laughingstock at the moment.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Dr. Nuegebauer how do you even come up with that?

I didn't mention Lebron or multiple other big name guys. I simply mentioned the FACT that we lost three targets (cannot debate that we ran after those guys hard) to teams that had better assets than us. Also that they had better assets than us because we were loving mediocrity like there is no tomorrow.

I don't even mention over paying to address your second point. Mostly because no one in the league will take 6 crap assets for a real star.

Lots of these newbees (like Larsv8 or Coachbadlee) post 8K times in 5 years. Crazy. The board was very very different about 10 years back little boys. When people would take the time to put together some sort of admirable response.

Thadeus gets a pass for his ignorance because his mother is a slut.

15. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Houston Sports Teams has a tendency to make me.......sad! But will continue to support them, & have since 1981!

16. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Lighten up Francis3422. It's not our fault that you make terrible threads.

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Thad- Same thing brah..chillax. Not the boards fault she can't be sexually satisfied. Your mom I mean.

18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

What a cry baby stupid thread. Grow up dude. You need to get your head out of your ass and see the daylight. We had our time with the stars (Yao and Tmac) and they were injured. It isn't Dawson's nor Morey's fault. Both of them were superstars and they got hurt. Sure Tmac wasn't great when he left but Yao did everything he could to stay on the court.

Regardless of the above, you are a complete moron and it is sad you had the audacity to start a thread complaining about how this team makes you "sad". Grow a pair and suck it up. No team is dominant forever. You should be sad you dont live in LA, Boston or NY where they have a huge market and great past rivalry in the NBA.

Lastly, GTFO and stop making stupid threads.

19. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

The timing and focus of your thread is a bit suspect.

You know the Rockets have a winning record and just beat the best team in the West last night, right? You know the Knicks had to gut their roster to get Carmelo and then totally stunk until a week ago, right? You know the Nets gave away a lot of good young prospects to get Deron Williams, now they still stink, and are probably going to lose Williams in free agency too, right?

Why whine about some fantasy scenario when the team we actually have is winning and is fun to watch? The fantasy scenario doesn't always even work out that well. Just look at the Rockets' own disappointing star pairings of the past.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I love when people blatantly contradict themselves in the very next sentence.