1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why This Team and This Series Matters

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketsjudoka, Oct 31, 2017.

1. the shark

the shark Member

To your point.
    Earlier this morning I went to the cemetery where my father is. He passed away last Oct (91 yrs old). He was a HUGE 'Stros fan, and was the one who turned me on to baseball back in '68 (as well as the Astros). I laid a World Champs cap and an Astros magnet on his headstone. I then said exactly what I pointed up to the sky and said at Dodger stadium after that final out and that was, "THEY DID IT DAD.....THEY FREAKIN DID IT". He was with me Wednesday night at Dodger stadium, and I know he has one HUGE a$$ smile on his face right now.

Good post my friend.

2. vonbock

vonbock Member

Harper was on the 94 team that Jordan came back half the season. But either way,like other posters said, the astros winning the world series none can argue about. No debating, they won the world series and put so much excitement in the city. Everyone watched and nothing distracted us. It was a wonderful feeling and everyone will remember this season.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So all the Bulls championships should have an asterisk since they never faced Michael Jordan in the playoffs. Right?

4. fiersdownbelow

"None can argue about" the Astros winning the World Series because it violates the principle of non-contradiction.

#44 fiersdownbelow, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great to hear and I would like this post a thousand times. Stories like this are why sports and fandom matters.

6. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

I am still having problems grasping the idea that the Astros are world series champs. The Astros? The Lastros. One of my late uncles used to call them the As$ H*les. I grew up with the astros. I remember going to two Colt .45 games. I must have been six at the time. I saw even more games in the Astrodome when their name was changed from the Colt .45s to the astros. Players I saw growing up in the astrodome: Rusty Staub, Bob Aspromonte, Jimmy Wynne, Joe Morgan, Hank Aaron, (saw him hit a HR) Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax, Maury Wills, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey. I saw Roberto Clemente bow and tip his cap to the crowd.
    I saw a lot of amazing baseball in this city of Houston. I never thought I would see them win a world series, but they did.

Houstunna likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bumping this thread for good mojo..